first time cruising w kids

cruising_w_kids

I disagree with this statement, based on my personal experience (May 20 cruise to Alaska on the Grand Princess with my 1-1/2 and 3 year old granddaughters). Perhaps you will find some helpful suggestions for cruising with toddlers in my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=223953

I do think that your nephew will probably sleep through most of the train ride.

Hi. Thanks for this! :)

Gave me a number of ideas.

• 1 year later...

Hi cruising_w_kids!

I wanted to find out how your cruisetour went with the toddler? I'm planning on going next year but a little fearful now with the negative feedback from some people on having toddlers during the tour portion of the cruisetour. Any advice you can give would be great! I will have a 4 year old and a 2 year old on the 11 day denali explorer.

Grandma is coming too. :) And Granddad might not be able to handle my nephew on his own.

I think too many people jump on this "just leave your kid with the gramps" and not realize this isn't practical for some. Certainly not for us. Plus whether or not a child is "too young" to appreciate a cruise, it's still an experience and every experience, especially with travel, is beneficial to them.

Hi cruising_w_kids!

I wanted to find out how your cruisetour went with the toddler? I'm planning on going next year but a little fearful now with the negative feedback from some people on having toddlers during the tour portion of the cruisetour. Any advice you can give would be great! I will have a 4 year old and a 2 year old on the 11 day denali explorer.

I hope the OP does eventually come back to report their experiences (maybe after booking their next cruise?). It might help others plan a trip with little ones.

Some of these comments from the old biddy committee are appalling. Either these folks have never raised children and have no business giving parental advice or they have forgotten that not all children are cut from the same mold. I have 2 boys 3 years apart in age, who were raised in the same home by the same parents. The oldest one was an absolute angel who tricked us into having a second one. Youngest one was a nightmare at 2. The terrible two's extended far beyond the age of two. Now at 19 I would think twice about taking him on a cruise. He is the reason we didn't have number 3. My point is that only you know what your child is capable of and only you can make that decision. For the record both of my children loved Princess at the ages of 10 and 13. Even my youngest managed to behave himself and wasn't expelled from the children's group. He must have charmed the counselors.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Since the last time the OP posted anything at all in this thread was August 1st, 2013 I have to wonder why anybody would revive the thread and think that the OP would possibly still be checking it out and would respond.

It's been well over a year. Please let this thread rest in peace.

Since the last time the OP posted anything at all in this thread was August 1st, 2013 I have to wonder why anybody would revive the thread and think that the OP would possibly still be checking it out and would respond.

I reopened it since I was interested in the outcome as I might be taking on the cruisetour with two toddlers. I wanted to know the outcome. I thought that the thread responses would come back to our personal emails like facebook does, but it doesn't. Fortunately, there are a lot of other nice people out there that's willing to help me out! :o

I disagree with this statement, based on my personal experience (May 20 cruise to Alaska on the Grand Princess with my 1-1/2 and 3 year old granddaughters). Perhaps you will find some helpful suggestions for cruising with toddlers in my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=223953

I do think that your nephew will probably sleep through most of the train ride.

Thanks I really enjoyed it.

Actually the last time the OP was on CC was on April 16th, 2014. Yes, four months ago, but it's always possible that if she returns and sees her thread resurrected, maybe she'll decide to post again. Maybe back in April, she was trying to find it and couldn't (not everyone knows you can click on your screen name to get to your profile and then see the list of threads you've started).

But in the meantime, another poster was able to get some advice.

Hi cruising_w_kids!

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/youth.jsp

No children's location or activities for under 3.

About the car seats ... If it is true that it's not possible to install them, then why does Princess say on their website and Cruise / Cruisetour answer books that we are required to bring a car seat or a booster seat when traveling with a child?

Is there someone out there who has traveled on the trains & buses with a toddler? What is the protocol?

Since AK is part of the USA they would have laws very close the ones in your home state. Here's what one website states http://www.carseatsak.org/Links/index.cfm?fuseaction=AlaskaLaw

basically if they have a seatbelt you have to have a car seat.

I'm pro car seat so I'd bring the same seats you feel comfortable with them in at home. If you really don't want to haul them consider booking with a non-ship sponsored tour provider with a good reputation and request that they provide one. I haven't been to AK but it worked in European countries that required a car seat.