Back to Cozumel in 4 months-what now?

mitsugirly

I love this thread. It is giving me great ideas for visit in Oct. 2014. :)

Well by then, I'll be back with a full report of what we decided to do. Meanwhile, I have several links in my signature for Cozumel if you are interested in going to any of those places. :D

Is it normal for Palacar to have peacocks and those squirrel/raccoon looking animals running around the beach there?

There's several places where peacocks roam the beach like pigeons looking for handouts. We see a pair at one pier in the middle of nowhere when we stop for surface intervals on our dive trips there.

Those other critters are coatis, (or coatimundis) I have never had the chance to see one roaming the beach except for years ago on the east side a lady had one she treated like a pet at one of the beach bars. I think they are pretty common on the mainland.

Hi Mitsu,

I'll be in Cozumel during Thanksgiving week on the Dawn. We decided on a day pass at El Cozumeleno. Trip advisor reviews say great snorkeling from the beach. Take a look at the link.

http://www.cozumelforaday.com/El_Cozumeleno_Pass.html

Love your reviews. Took your advice on Almaplena and loved it. Going back in November.

Deb

Hi Mitsu,

I'll be in Cozumel during Thanksgiving week on the Dawn. We decided on a day pass at El Cozumeleno. Trip advisor reviews say great snorkeling from the beach. Take a look at the link.

http://www.cozumelforaday.com/El_Cozumeleno_Pass.html

Love your reviews. Took your advice on Almaplena and loved it. Going back in November.

Deb

Yea, Big Red suggested that place earlier. It looks lovely, but it "looks" like a resort (well of course because it is) and I don't think we are really looking for a "resort" type place in Cozumel. We are already do a resort in Jamaica (and only doing the resort because we just don't feel too safe in Jamaica and like the idea of an AI resort where vendors can not hassle you).

Thanks for the suggestion thought. I appreciate it.

When you go in November, I would love to know how you liked it. Maybe some day we'll consider it.

Thanks for the compliment. I try my best to help others in any way I can.

Thanks so much for the link. I clicked on it so that I can have a look around. The first thing I noticed...Things to do in cozumel with kids...but then the next thing I noticed along the side were the "things to do" advertisement listings: Sailing, cooking, fly & spin fishing, snorkeling and deep sea fishing-none which we be too "kid" friendly (well depending on the age of the kid I guess), but I thought it was funny. :D But I'll have a look around. My 5 year old is not the "normal" 5 year old and usually does anything a grown up will do, but I don't think fishing or cooking would be her (or our thing) lol.

I have heard a lot of people reference Mr Sanchos and I'm going to look in to it. Although, if my memory serves me right, I was thinking people said it a "party" place. We are pretty flexible and don't mind secluded places or busier places. It's all about the "place" to me. So definitely going to check it out. I just "hope" that it's not just another one of the places along a strip like Nohoch Kay (in Costa Maya) or even too much like Nachi Cocom. Neither place was really what we're looking for.

You are SO lucky to be able to go there and spend an entire week. Wow, I would love to do that. Maybe some day I will. Every time it's suggested to me (from family), I think about it, start to research and change my mind and book a cruise. LOL :D :p

We've been looking at a land vacation in Cozumel for a couple of years. There's so much to do (or not do) on the island. And I think staying in a B&B (as opposed to a big AI) will only enhance our experience. I am in the process of researching restaurants and activities - and mapping them. We are not renting a car, so everything needs to be within walking distance. We'll only take taxis for day trips. We do plan on doing the Bar Hop...gotta have some fun, and visit the East side! We will make sure to head to Puerto Maya to wave goodbye to the ships from Carlos & Charlies ;) at least once.

Wondering if you've ever come across this: http://www.cozumel-watersports.com/excursions/page1.html

We booked Mr. Sanchos for our December cruise through this co. We were very fortunate, as the Liberty was the only ship in Cozumel that day. For $45 per person, $25 per children - we had a great day! All the food (except lobster) was included. Unlike Nachi, you can order as much food as you like. Mixed drinks, soft drinks, juices, bottled water, is also included. The resort is large - have a look at the pics on the site I mentioned above. The service was very good, the beach and water was excellent. My kids (16 and 12 at the time) had a hard time climbing the water toys. There is an extra charge. I wouldn't bother :) My daughter did have a massage - and loved it!

I would recommend it. Not sure if there's decent snorkeling there - but the atmosphere was a lot fun. Some of our fellow roll call folks were there as well.

I have heard good things about Paradise Beach. Paul Medik does awesome reviews as well, and loves PB: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1829996

I'm bookmarking this thread - great info.!

Ok. I will definately get back with you when I return.... with photos. :D

We were going to do Chankaknab but I decided to do the resort because there will be so many ships in port that day I was fearful that it might be too crowded.

I'll be in Cozumel in a few weeks on the Freedom of the Seas. Right now I have a snorkel excursion booked with Cozumel H20. It's a 4 hour trip and they do 4 different reefs. However, I am thinking about cancelling this and going to Chankanab instead since there will only be 2 ships in port that day.

The first time I was in Coz we rented a car for $45 and circled the island with a stop at Money Bar for some snorkeling. The currents were very stong that day which made it difficult, but it was very nice.

The second time we were in Coz, we went on a glass bottom boat and did a 3 stop snorkel, then hung out at one of the beach bars for the remainder of the day.

We are snorkeling addicts. Just can't get enough. :p

Wondering if you've ever come across this: http://www.cozumel-watersports.com/excursions/page1.html

My kids (16 and 12 at the time) had a hard time climbing the water toys. There is an extra charge. I wouldn't bother :)

I have heard good things about Paradise Beach. Paul Medik does awesome reviews as well, and loves PB: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1829996

I'm bookmarking this thread - great info.!

Yes I have ran across that link/site before. I think I seen it when someone pointed it out a few cruises ago when we were trying to book Almaplena. I actually did book with them at some point (for Almaplena in Costa Maya) and then it was all of a sudden off their site. I was constantly having to contact them about it and was just getting an uneasy feeling about it. They were losing their contract with Almaplena and said they were "working things out", but when I would contact Almaplena directly, they would tell me that they are not honoring bookings from there. In the end, I ended up cancelling and booking direct.

Hopefully trying to book with them again wouldn't give me the same run around I had last time.

I did see that Passion Island is listed on there for $44.99 adults and $29.99 children. Not a bad deal but I can't find out if it includes transportation to the place you catch the water boat over to the island. Anyone know? When you compare this price to the one from Isla Pasion, there's a big difference because they want $65 for an adult and $40 for a child. This is definitely something I'm interested in doing (and always have been since we first started going to Cozumel) but have always chickened out because people were saying that you could only get there by the big yellow "twister" speed boat that you have to book using Carnival. Otherwise it makes for a very long drive by taxi.

Well that's not reassuring if you teens couldn't even climb the water toys at Mr Sanchos. That definitely means that my 5 year old and probably even myself would have a hard time as well. :(

I looked at the Paul Medik link and it said it was for a Southern Caribbean departing from Miami Florida March 30 2013 with stops in Nassau (Grand Turk was cancelled), Dominican Republic, Curacao, and Aruba. So without reading it, I don't think there's anything in there about Cozumel :confused:

Ok. I will definately get back with you when I return.... with photos. :D

We were going to do Chankaknab but I decided to do the resort because there will be so many ships in port that day I was fearful that it might be too crowded.

I'll be in Cozumel in a few weeks on the Freedom of the Seas. Right now I have a snorkel excursion booked with Cozumel H20. It's a 4 hour trip and they do 4 different reefs. However, I am thinking about cancelling this and going to Chankanab instead since there will only be 2 ships in port that day.

We have been to Chankanaab when there are 6 or 7 ships in port that day a few times and it never felt too crowded there. The place is so big and for the most part it seems like a crowd will come in order to do the dolphin swims and then shortly after they leave. So it has never felt crowded there to us on a busy ship day. We have just been there a few times and although it's my favorite place in Cozumel so far, we just don't want to do it again and want to experience something else. But I wouldn't hesitate to go there on a busy ship day at all. :)

I'll be looking forward to your pictures. :D

Thanks for the compliment. I try my best to help others in any way I can.

Thanks so much for the link. I clicked on it so that I can have a look around. The first thing I noticed...Things to do in cozumel with kids...but then the next thing I noticed along the side were the "things to do" advertisement listings: Sailing, cooking, fly & spin fishing, snorkeling and deep sea fishing-none which we be too "kid" friendly (well depending on the age of the kid I guess), but I thought it was funny. :D But I'll have a look around. My 5 year old is not the "normal" 5 year old and usually does anything a grown up will do, but I don't think fishing or cooking would be her (or our thing) lol.

I have heard a lot of people reference Mr Sanchos and I'm going to look in to it. Although, if my memory serves me right, I was thinking people said it a "party" place. We are pretty flexible and don't mind secluded places or busier places. It's all about the "place" to me. So definitely going to check it out. I just "hope" that it's not just another one of the places along a strip like Nohoch Kay (in Costa Maya) or even too much like Nachi Cocom. Neither place was really what we're looking for.

You are SO lucky to be able to go there and spend an entire week. Wow, I would love to do that. Maybe some day I will. Every time it's suggested to me (from family), I think about it, start to research and change my mind and book a cruise. LOL :D :p

Well, I can post what I decide. But of course you are going on your cruise before I leave for mine. So, I won't be able to give you details on what it was actually like.

I would try out Chankanaab if I was you. You can't go wrong with it. It's just beautiful there and so much to do. If you plan on going there, I would definitely go.

Yes I have ran across that link/site before. I think I seen it when someone pointed it out a few cruises ago when we were trying to book Almaplena. I actually did book with them at some point (for Almaplena in Costa Maya) and then it was all of a sudden off their site. I was constantly having to contact them about it and was just getting an uneasy feeling about it. They were losing their contract with Almaplena and said they were "working things out", but when I would contact Almaplena directly, they would tell me that they are not honoring bookings from there. In the end, I ended up cancelling and booking direct.

Hopefully trying to book with them again wouldn't give me the same run around I had last time.

I did see that Passion Island is listed on there for $44.99 adults and $29.99 children. Not a bad deal but I can't find out if it includes transportation to the place you catch the water boat over to the island. Anyone know? When you compare this price to the one from Isla Pasion, there's a big difference because they want $65 for an adult and $40 for a child. This is definitely something I'm interested in doing (and always have been since we first started going to Cozumel) but have always chickened out because people were saying that you could only get there by the big yellow "twister" speed boat that you have to book using Carnival. Otherwise it makes for a very long drive by taxi.

Well that's not reassuring if you teens couldn't even climb the water toys at Mr Sanchos. That definitely means that my 5 year old and probably even myself would have a hard time as well. :(

I looked at the Paul Medik link and it said it was for a Southern Caribbean departing from Miami Florida March 30 2013 with stops in Nassau (Grand Turk was cancelled), Dominican Republic, Curacao, and Aruba. So without reading it, I don't think there's anything in there about Cozumel :confused:

So sorry, Mitsu :( Here's the link to Paul's Western Liberty review, which includes Paradise Beach: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1626751

The Carnival excursion to Isla Pasion includes transport via motorized catamaran - not sure about NCL. While I book most of our excursions with independent tour operators, some tours are worth booking (IMO) with the cruise line, particularly if transport is difficult / complicated.

So sorry, Mitsu :( Here's the link to Paul's Western Liberty review, which includes Paradise Beach: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1626751

The Carnival excursion to Isla Pasion includes transport via motorized catamaran - not sure about NCL. While I book most of our excursions with independent tour operators, some tours are worth booking (IMO) with the cruise line, particularly if transport is difficult / complicated.

I just read his review of all the ports and loved it. He does reviews like me and that's what I like to read. Plenty of pictures. It helped and thanks for the link. (Now I only wish he had one on Passion Island). LOL

Yea, NCL does not do the Twister that Carnival has for the trip there. That's why everyone was saying that taking a taxi there takes a LOT longer or course and wasted time. :( I guess that would be the only downfall to it.

Anyone know how long it takes to get to Passion Island by taxi?

Anyone know how long it takes to get to Passion Island by taxi?

Depending upon what peir you start from about 20 or so minutes, and the fare for 4 in a cab should be about $25+tip. Good luck! :)

Depending upon what peir you start from about 20 or so minutes, and the fare for 4 in a cab should be about $25+tip. Good luck! :)

We dock at Punta Laguna and have 3 people. Is that where you were quoting the time from? 20 minutes isn't bad at all. We have done that plenty of times with no problems and it didn't seem long. If that's the case, I may seriously consider this.

Isn't the boat ride from the land to the island about 5 minutes or so?

I have never been to this place, but a poster on these boards has a picture in his signature of Punta Morena and it has made me definitely want to go there. It's the east side of the island.

I am not sure about the snorkling or the amenities, so I'll have to research more going forward, but it looks pretty barren.

I've been to Cozumel once when I was 15 and we went to Chankanaab. I always said I wanted to go back there someday, so now that I'm 30 I am going in September to Cozumel again, and I *HAVE* to go back to Chankanaab.

However, we are renting a car while we are there and I'm going to see if I can persuade my group to drive out to the far side of the island for a bit just to stop by Punta Morena.

Mitsugirly,

Are you on the Nov 17 sailing on the Jewel? If so, we do have a roll call going.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1787943

We have been to Paradise Beach the last couple times. The pool is really nice and I like to snorkel over by the pier, as that's where most of the fish hang out. The food was pretty good, guac and chips and nachos. A friend got the fried fish and it looked pretty good.

I have never been to this place, but a poster on these boards has a picture in his signature of Punta Morena and it has made me definitely want to go there. It's the east side of the island.

I am not sure about the snorkling or the amenities, so I'll have to research more going forward, but it looks pretty barren.

I've been to Cozumel once when I was 15 and we went to Chankanaab. I always said I wanted to go back there someday, so now that I'm 30 I am going in September to Cozumel again, and I *HAVE* to go back to Chankanaab.

However, we are renting a car while we are there and I'm going to see if I can persuade my group to drive out to the far side of the island for a bit just to stop by Punta Morena.

I looked this place up (or at least pictures of it) and it looks very pretty. However there were a lot of pictures of really huge waves there and I found a few pictures that call it "surfers heaven" so I imagine that explains the waves. Not exactly a place I would be able to snorkel or take a small child. :( I wonder if the person that has the picture visited that place by going on the bar hop tour because it looks like they stop there according to some of the pictures and maps of the bar hop.

Thought I would pop in here for a few more shots of El Cid...not as scenic as I'm sure Passion...in fact, if I remember right I think Passion Island is where they shot the 'Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders' calendar for last year...it was on tv ( but that was a year ago)...this is how close it is from Carnival Magic. Whether or not you go here, I know you will enjoy having something else thrown in the mix!!:p

PB180208.JPG

PB180143.JPG

PB180141.JPG

I'm not sure if you are looking to do the same thing in a different place, or something entirely new, but I've read a lot of positive things about the Amazing Cozumel Race. According to their website, there are no age limits and it's family-friendly. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there in case you hadn't heard of it.

Thought I would pop in here for a few more shots of El Cid...not as scenic as I'm sure Passion...in fact, if I remember right I think Passion Island is where they shot the 'Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders' calendar for last year...it was on tv ( but that was a year ago)...this is how close it is from Carnival Magic. Whether or not you go here, I know you will enjoy having something else thrown in the mix!!:p

Thanks for the beautiful pictures and "throwing more in to the mix"...now I'm thoroughly confused. :D But of course welcome more suggestions, as I'm sure everyone reading this thread does too. I'm going to do some research on it and I'm sure I'll have questions.

I'm not sure if you are looking to do the same thing in a different place, or something entirely new, but I've read a lot of positive things about the Amazing Cozumel Race. According to their website, there are no age limits and it's family-friendly. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there in case you hadn't heard of it.

It really doesn't matter if it's the same or not. I'm just always looking for that "special place". I can do a nice place with awesome snorkeling (like Chankanaab) or just a beautiful, relaxing day at a beach with the crystal clear blue water and beautiful sand. I'm looking for that little slice of heaven that you only find every once in a while and once you do find it, you know this is it! (So far in Costa Maya, it has been Almaplena, in Cozumel, it has been Chankanaab, in Roatan, it has been Little French Key, in St Thomas, it has been Sapphire Beach). That is what I'm on the hunt for. If there's snorkeling there, it's even better, but not required. :)

As for the "race", I'm not really into something like that, especially with a small child. (Well even if we didn't have her, it still wouldn't be on my list :o) I know people may find it a neat thing to do, but I'm on vacation to relax and visit the beaches (and every once in awhile, something different like cave tubing and ziplining). :)

It really doesn't matter if it's the same or not. I'm just always looking for that "special place". I can do a nice place with awesome snorkeling (like Chankanaab) or just a beautiful, relaxing day at a beach with the crystal clear blue water and beautiful sand. I'm looking for that little slice of heaven that you only find every once in a while and once you do find it, you know this is it! (So far in Costa Maya, it has been Almaplena, in Cozumel, it has been Chankanaab, in Roatan, it has been Little French Key, in St Thomas, it has been Sapphire Beach). That is what I'm on the hunt for. If there's snorkeling there, it's even better, but not required

in this link you can see Playa Palancar photos

After years of being subscribed ready to reply and apparently I forgot my password. Well fixed it after several attempts with different email addresses.

We just got back a month ago cruising in the Triumph and stopped at Cozumel. Our 7th time there. Well the first time it was only my DH and I and we did swim with dolphins at chankanab. It was incredible. Second time DH and I rented a scooter to drive around the island. After a crash course on how to drive we were on our way. We had a blast at 23 and 25 years old it was funny using our legs as brakes and bumping with curbs. Now I realized how dangerous it was. But after a few attempts we managed to drive along the beach and by these special road for scooters and bicycles where we were lucky enough to see big crabs and miniature monkeys about the size of our palms. It was an unforgettable experience. We just got a few drinks at a bar and swim at the beach then returned.

After that great experiences we recruited family members and had to plan (which I don't mind) for the whole group taking into considerarion their needs and looking for trips that wouldnt break the bank (we all have different perspectives about budget) but no problem just a little more research, which I love because it puts me in vacation mode just to think of different possibilities, the following trips were to paraiso and Mr. Sanchos. Never been to Nachi. Nothing special just good days at the beach.

This last time our group consisted of two couples, now we are in our 30's and look for something easygoing but still fun. We rented a jeep and drove around the island to the ruins and to the beach where the big waves are. Good photo opportunities. Finally we ended up at the place I wanted to go since a few years ago but do to the fact we had children in our group who said preferred the water toys at other beach clubs, but apparently you need extra strenght to pull yourself up, was not a big hit as just strolling and swimming at the beach, well the place is Playa Uvas.

Playa Uvas gave us what we wanted all along great snorkeling from shore. Good drinks included on all of the packages and a decent sand beach. They also have a pool and good lounges by the pool and beach. I loved the pool chair to have a nap, the wind was blowing and it was quiet.

We snorkel for hours and saw a small stingray, octopous, lots of fish, coral. We did it on our own and we also had a guided group of about 30min. That showed us more places to look for fish. We continued snorkeling and then the photo guy came to us to see if we wanted pictures with no pressure to buy. We decided to do it. Since he was only there for us, the group left and the place was only for us. The photographer took great pictures, about 30 and we got a cd for $25 which we split between the 4 of us. To me it was a good deal, since we are not good taking pictures underwater.

Well it was time to go, and including the snorkel package, no lunch, guacamole and chips, at least 3 drinks each and photographs, it was less than $25 per person. That is a good deal in my book.

Next time we are planning on renting bicycles from one of those places by the carnival pier and drive all the way to Playa Uvas, which I think is about 3 miles going left from the ship. Just to maybe get to see the little monkeys again and have a leiusure ride along the coast by their bicycle road.

Over the years I try to research google as well, because lately it seems that it's only the same places mentioned here in cruise critic. But I love Cozumel and I think I found that perfect place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Forums mobile app

in this link you can see Playa Palancar photos

Thanks for the link to the pictures. I might check it out a little more. It is one of the folders I have saved on my computer with a few pictures from previous searches...so obviously something I was interested in before.

Thanks for those...

Playa Palancar doesn't get many, if any reviews on this board...

Much appreciated.

Bill

Yea, there doesn't seem to be much on here these days. I think there were more reviews several years ago because I do remember people mentioning it and I did save some pictures of it. Maybe it's because it's a little further down than most of the places people head to.

Any idea how long of a drive it is from NCL pier?

Finally we ended up at the place I wanted to go since a few years ago but do to the fact we had children in our group who said preferred the water toys at other beach clubs, but apparently you need extra strenght to pull yourself up, was not a big hit as just strolling and swimming at the beach, well the place is Playa Uvas.

Playa Uvas gave us what we wanted all along great snorkeling from shore. Good drinks included on all of the packages and a decent sand beach. They also have a pool and good lounges by the pool and beach. I loved the pool chair to have a nap, the wind was blowing and it was quiet.

We snorkel for hours and saw a small stingray, octopous, lots of fish, coral. We did it on our own and we also had a guided group of about 30min. That showed us more places to look for fish. We continued snorkeling and then the photo guy came to us to see if we wanted pictures with no pressure to buy. We decided to do it. Since he was only there for us, the group left and the place was only for us. The photographer took great pictures, about 30 and we got a cd for $25 which we split between the 4 of us. To me it was a good deal, since we are not good taking pictures underwater.

Well it was time to go, and including the snorkel package, no lunch, guacamole and chips, at least 3 drinks each and photographs, it was less than $25 per person. That is a good deal in my book.

Next time we are planning on renting bicycles from one of those places by the carnival pier and drive all the way to Playa Uvas, which I think is about 3 miles going left from the ship. Just to maybe get to see the little monkeys again and have a leiusure ride along the coast by their bicycle road.

Over the years I try to research google as well, because lately it seems that it's only the same places mentioned here in cruise critic. But I love Cozumel and I think I found that perfect place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the information. I looked it up at some point to see the location (because it's listed on a map I made by using Google Earth) and it looks like I placed a pointer at an area between Chankanaab and the Money Bar. So obviously if this place is located around that area, it's excellent for snorkeling. Is there a beach there or is it like the Money Bar and Chankanaab and you enter by using steps into the water? Would it be a kid friendly place? Definitely considering this place and I will have to do more research. :)