Bahamas out of Baltimore

absolutonrox

Looking to take my first every cruise with my wife sometime in the Feb-April range of 2014. In all likelihood it will be on the Pride, as Baltimore is only an hour or so away, with in-laws even closer to port where we can leave our vehicle (yay no parking fees!). My question is, has anyone taken this cruise before during this time of year? I know I run the risk of really cold weather leaving from Baltimore, and I'm OK with that, to some extent. How long did it take until you in weather you could comfortably walk around outside in shorts, use the outdoor pools, lay around outside, etc? Any info or tips on what might help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Looking to take my first every cruise with my wife sometime in the Feb-April range of 2014. In all likelihood it will be on the Pride, as Baltimore is only an hour or so away, with in-laws even closer to port where we can leave our vehicle (yay no parking fees!). My question is, has anyone taken this cruise before during this time of year? I know I run the risk of really cold weather leaving from Baltimore, and I'm OK with that, to some extent. How long did it take until you in weather you could comfortably walk around outside in shorts, use the outdoor pools, lay around outside, etc? Any info or tips on what might help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

We are also thinking of this itinerary in Feb. love to hear some responses!

We took a cruise on the Pride in February 2013. You could swim in one of the pools when you board the ship because it is heated a bit and the sky roof was closed. By the 2nd fun day at sea, we were walking around without our jackets.

Where in PA? We are also about an hour from Baltimore, in Hanover.

Lol I live in Hanover also! Op my wife and I took this cruise in feb of 2012 and if I remember right we were relaxing on serenity by Tuesday afternoon. I wore shorts and a shirt but she wore jeans and a hoody but she is always cold plus originally being from mi I'm used to cold weather! We have done this cruise twice before and are actually booked for it again on jan 5. This time we are bring my two kids, my parents, and my two younger sisters with us, it will be their first cruise everyone is so excited! If you have any other questions I might be able to help with let me know.

Thanks so much for the replies. I was a bit worried that traveling that time of year might only yield 2-3 days worth of "tropical" weather to enjoy, which would negate one of my reasons for wanting to travel during the winter/ early spring. It sounds like 4-5 days of that type of weather is more in line with what you experienced.

For those of you who've taken this particular cruise in the past, did you find that rates were better if you booked further in advance (say in the next month or 2) or were there better deals if you waited until December or January to book? I've not cruised before, so I'm just trying to get a feel for the easiest and cheapest way to do it (cheaper fares means more adult beverages:D).

Lol I live in Hanover also! Op my wife and I took this cruise in feb of 2012 and if I remember right we were relaxing on serenity by Tuesday afternoon. I wore shorts and a shirt but she wore jeans and a hoody but she is always cold plus originally being from mi I'm used to cold weather! We have done this cruise twice before and are actually booked for it again on jan 5. This time we are bring my two kids, my parents, and my two younger sisters with us, it will be their first cruise everyone is so excited! If you have any other questions I might be able to help with let me know.

How old are your kids? It's a small town. Wondering if they might know mine. We are heading out of NYC to Canada on Monday and then I'll think about February! I think it would be cool to start in the cod ang get wamer!

Sailed in March to the Bahamas from Baltimore. The week before we sailed we had some 70 degree days. The day we left for the cruise, I was wearing my winter jacket. It was still a little cool the next day. On Tuesday we were wearing our bathing suits.

Op book early when we booked our feb cruise I started watching the prices in late dec and all they did was go up. Once I finally had enough money to book the cruise had gone up about $30-40 from when I originly started looking at it. Also if you book early you can stretch out paying it off instead of all the $ in one shot. At least that is my limited experience some of the more seasoned cruises will prolly have a better answer. I have a 1 year old daughter (we actually got pregnant on our first cruise which caused us to take the second one a few months later cuz we knew it would be awhile before we could take another one) and a five year old son.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Went in late march. First night a little nippy with the wind but not freezing cold. Next day shorts were ok to wear.

Op book early when we booked our feb cruise I started watching the prices in late dec and all they did was go up. Once I finally had enough money to book the cruise had gone up about $30-40 from when I originly started looking at it. Also if you book early you can stretch out paying it off instead of all the $ in one shot. At least that is my limited experience some of the more seasoned cruises will prolly have a better answer. I have a 1 year old daughter (we actually got pregnant on our first cruise which caused us to take the second one a few months later cuz we knew it would be awhile before we could take another one) and a five year old son.

Your kids are much younger than mine :-) My daughter is 10 and my son 8. DD and I hop on the Glory out of NYC on Monday! I can't wait!!!

We did this cruise last november and the first day out was jeans and sweatshirt weather outside. the main pool is covered and warm. also the last day back we had really bad weather and could not go out on deck at all. each port day was wonderful and hot. going again this year a month earlier. loved the ship and had a great cruise. plenty to do on the days the weather keeps you inside.

doug

Thanks to everyone for all the replies and advice. I think I'll be using a combination of it all. I think we'll sail in late March or April. I'll book Early Saver for the best bargain. Can anyone give me some pointers as to the best places to stay on this ship (or more importantly, areas to avoid)? I plan on an inside cabin, just to save money for the first time, not knowing what our end of sail bill will look like. Is it worth it to spend the extra money to move up decks or to upgrade to say an obstructed view porthole/french door room? If these questions are answered somewhere else, I apologize. A gentle nudge in the direction that can answer them would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I've never cruised (nor has my wife), haven't booked yet, and haven't even told my wife yet (going to be an anniversary surprise!) yet I find myself already excited about the trip and thinking it can't get here soon enough!:D

We booked our September cruise in early April, and by the time we did final payment in June, the itinerary was sold completely out for our week!

We live right near Hanover. It's amazing how many nearby CC people are on this thread. :)

We booked our September cruise in early April, and by the time we did final payment in June, the itinerary was sold completely out for our week!

We live right near Hanover. It's amazing how many nearby CC people are on this thread. :)

Your screen name, any chance it is related to French Bulldogs? I have 3 of them!!

Thanks to everyone for all the replies and advice. I think I'll be using a combination of it all. I think we'll sail in late March or April. I'll book Early Saver for the best bargain. Can anyone give me some pointers as to the best places to stay on this ship (or more importantly, areas to avoid)? I plan on an inside cabin, just to save money for the first time, not knowing what our end of sail bill will look like. Is it worth it to spend the extra money to move up decks or to upgrade to say an obstructed view porthole/french door room? If these questions are answered somewhere else, I apologize. A gentle nudge in the direction that can answer them would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I've never cruised (nor has my wife), haven't booked yet, and haven't even told my wife yet (going to be an anniversary surprise!) yet I find myself already excited about the trip and thinking it can't get here soon enough!:D

We sailed in December and it was mild when we departed (40-45F). The promenade was closed due to winds the first two nights and it was too cold to be outside the first sea day. The second sea day was ok to be out but still not swimsuit weather. The Serenity area is nice and is protected from the weather. It was warm the next three days.

We booked a balcony guarantee about 6 months in advance for $549 each. We scored an aft-facing balcony which was awesome because it was also protected from the winds and nice to be out on even in a sweatshirt. We also liked being aft as we could get to the Lido buffet, Serenity, and MDR by going straight up or down.

This is probably a good itinerary to save money by going with an inside stateroom. We did not use the balcony a ton, but we would have used it even less had we been on the sides of the ship (due to the wind).

Cruising out of Baltimore (we drove from Ohio) was great...very easy and the Pride is a nice ship. Have a great time!

The closer in April you sail the chance of you having lots of kids. Spring breaks run a few weeks before easter-- these sailings are also a tad bit more money.

We cruised iN February-- usually it is way too cold so save your money for a balcony and look to get a 4j 4 K cabin that is an inside cabin but features french doors. you get the natural light- you get fresh air with out the price tag.

look on deck plans and you want a cabin between the lifeboats to have a better view.

When we sailed the Pride in February we arrived with a balmy 54 degrees. Ports were hot. we came back to a low 60. But the people two sailings before us arrived back home and had to dig their cars of of the snow.

I agree with Serene's suggestion to go for the 4k! We are doing that for our upcoming British Isles cruise for pretty much the same reasons - to save money, and since it might not be balcony weather the whole trip. But, you still will get fresh air and a bit of a view (if you're between the lifeboats).

4140 and 4123 are two that are between the lifeboats that I know at the top of my head. You can search on here for images and see those rooms.

If you were going to splurge for a balcony (they can be a bargain at times), the 7A obstructed is a great value. Again, try to pick one between lifeboats, we had 5236 on our Pride cruise.

As for booking - if you do book Early Saver (ES), be sure to read up on the restrictions first to make sure you're comfortable with them (non-refundable deposit, change fees, etc). You can definitely save money that way (we generally book that way), it's the only fare that gives price reductions after final payment - but you should know what you're getting into since not everyone's plans are set in stone.

You'll have a great time I'm sure!!

Jenn :)

Archived