Which airport to use for New York Port

VacationsRme

LGA is closest

JFK is next

EWR is further

Pick LGA or JFK based on flight schedule and pricing you like.

Best way to get to ship from airport is a limo service such as dial7.com Reserve in advance, call when you have your luggage, and they will pick you up within five minutes.

I find Newark the easiest and nicest airport to use. The Princess shuttle can get you from the airport to the dock in under 45 mins.

It is really one of those '6 of 1', '1/2 dozen of another' situations. I would go with whichever airport/airline has the best fares and times for you.

Choose whichever has the best flights for you. You should factor in that if you fly into EWR you will have to take a car service (more $$ than a cab) if you arrive there. Someone mentioned Princess transportation which is usually a poor deal if you have more than 2 people time and cost wise - you have to wait for the bus to fill up with other pax and the cost isn't really a good deal. No need to get a car service from JFK or LGA there are always plenty of cabs that will generally be much cheaper than a dial7, carmel, etc.

I live about 10 minutes from LGA and we always have a super easy and quick ride down to the Red Hook terminal for our cruises.

For me, depends on the amount of luggage. If you pack light I actually prefer Newark,its easy to get into the city via the train to Penn and then a cab to the dock. I find EWR to have a few less delays and hassles and often to be a tad cheaper (with the tradeoff it takes longer in transit).

Heavier luggage I would go into LGA and take a cab or car service (depending on time, if rush hour is involved, always a car service for fixed price). I have a personal aversion to JFK.

For us JFK works best. Better connections and prices for our flights. Also the only airport for us with direct flight home.

So look at flight conveniences and prices.

Comfort Inn, about a block from the port , the least expensive choice should you want to fly in a day early. And they drive you to the port, even though close by.

I would hate the though of lugging my luggage from Newark Airport to NYC via public transportation. Not always easy to get a cab in the City. Sometimes they don't want to go to Brooklyn.

To start a cruise, we do the most convenient with the least stress.

LGA is closest

JFK is next

EWR is further

Pick LGA or JFK based on flight schedule and pricing you like.

Best way to get to ship from airport is a limo service such as dial7.com Reserve in advance, call when you have your luggage, and they will pick you up within five minutes.

I have to agree. If you flight to EWR you will either have to drive through Manhattan or Staten Island to get to Long Island. Both can be a nightmare. Save the island hopping for the Caribbean.

I have to agree. If you flight to EWR you will either have to drive through Manhattan or Staten Island to get to Long Island. Both can be a nightmare. Save the island hopping for the Caribbean.

The Princess shuttle from Newark to Brooklyn is $19. I think that is a bargain compared to the price of a limo.

Comfort Inn, about a block from the port , the least expensive choice should you want to fly in a day early. And they drive you to the port, even though close by.

Would this be considered the Mid-Town West facility...there are several Comfort Inns this looks close to "a" pier, just not sure it's "the" pier, lol. Thanks in advance!

I would opt for EWR. It is definitely the easiest of the three to fly in and out of. The Princess shuttle is a great price in this case. Private transport is certainly an option as well.

Also(FYI) it is about 15 miles from the airport(EWR) to the Red Hook Terminal.

Maybe I am confused but the Red Hook terminal is in Brooklyn not Long Island. No need to drive thru either Manhattan or Staten Island. I jump on US 1/9N for about 6 miles, NJ 139E for about 1.5-2 miles, I-78E for 2-2.5 miles, exit 1 West Street, to the ramp for the Battery Tunnel. Another few turns and 3 miles and I am at the terminal.

Maybe I am confused but the Red Hook terminal is in Brooklyn not Long Island. No need to drive thru either Manhattan or Staten Island. I jump on US 1/9N for about 6 miles, NJ 139E for about 1.5-2 miles, I-78E for 2-2.5 miles, exit 1 West Street, to the ramp for the Battery Tunnel. Another few turns and 3 miles and I am at the terminal.

It's not directly (or even indirectly) relevant, but your routing sparked my memory of the time I picked up my car at the Manhattan terminal. I was stationed at Stewart AFB (Newburgh). Picked up the car and headed north. There was heavy traffic so I jumped across to New Jersey. North bound I soon encountered a sign that said Bear Mountain ------>. Newburgh was north, so I followed that direction. Next thing I knew I was on the Tappan Zee Bridge headed back to Manhattan. Never did figure out how that happened.:rolleyes: To top it off, when I arrived at the Stewart AFB gate I instinctively drove in the left side. I pointed at the Japan license plate. The guard smiled (maybe smirked) and waved me through.

That was 1964, long before GPS's.

Despite being part of New York City, Brooklyn is at the western end of Long Island (as is Queens). The West Street exit and the Battery Tunnel ramp are on the island of Manhattan. Going from New Jersey to Brooklyn will require going to some island in between.

Regarding the OP's question, I would recommend LGA. But I really think it depends on your airfare prices. If the price is significantly better at another airport, go there. I would.

We are going on Caribbean Princess in October. Which airport should we fly into? How far is it from the port?

This really depends where you are flying from. I would assume that, since your profile shows Texas, that you would be flying from Dallas. If that is true, LaGuardia (LGA) has the greatest selection of flights, and Kennedy (JFK) would have the least (mostly only feeders for international flights). Newark (EWR) is OK only if you use PRINCESS transfers. There is no quick and direct route from Newark to Brooklyn ... it's mostly water. Taxis and car services will charge extra because of the exorbitant tolls and franchise rules which require services to return empty due to crossing a state line. Expect to pay about $35-40 to/from LGA, and $45-50 to/from JFK.

If taking a cab, bring a printout of instructions (google maps or equivalent) of how to get to the Red Hook port.

Many taxi drivers have no idea how to do the last mile or so.

Limo dsrives will know where it is.

Archived