What to do in St John

Kelsey D

First time cruiser here! When the ship docks at St Thomas from 12-8 pm, I plan to make my way to St John. Will I have enough time on St John to rent a car and see the island, or should I just take a taxi to one beach? What time should I plan to leave St John to get back in time?

You would have limited time to rent a car and drive the island. You would need to pick up the car and drive 1/2 hr to the Red Hook ferry terminal, you have to be there 1/2 hr before boarding. The car barge departs Red Hook at 1:30, 2:30, & 3PM, and returns at 4, 4:30, & 5:30 so you'd be back in Red Hook 1/2 hr after these times and would need to return to CA and get to the ship. So at the best you'd have 3.5 hrs to drive STJ and probably more like 2.5 hrs.

So just taxi to RH and ferry over to Cruz Bay and taxi to a beach, total travel cost is about $46 + tips.

I was thinking of taking a taxi to Red Hook, ferry to St John, and renting a car while on St John only. To take a taxi to Trunk Bay only will cost my family of 5 $60 round trip. I could rent a vehicle for $85 or so and go to more than one beach, which is what I'd really like to do. But will I have enough time on St John to see more than one beach? I need to return to Red Hook because of the ferry times, so realistically, how much time will I have on St John to see multiple things? What time should I leave to return for the ship's departure at 8pm?

aah, sorry I misread that! Yes you should be able to hit a beach and take a mini-tour of the west coast. With luck you should be able to get the 1PM ferry from RH, worst-case the 2PM ferry. You should return to RH on the 6PM ferry (at the latest) to allow extra time for the taxi back to the port. If you leave RH by 6:30 to get back to the port by you're good, 7PM is really pushing it.

So it looks like you would still have 2.5 or 3.5 hrs depending on the ferry from RH, and allowing for pick-up and drop-off of the rental. Does that make sense? :confused:

Carnival Sunshine leaving on 5/17/14. Arrives at St. Thomas on Tues, 5/20 at 12 pm; departs at 8 pm.

I spent a lot of time yesterday looking at St. John online. I think I could spend a week there easily! If time permits, I'd like to rent a car and head up N. Shore Rd., stopping at places such as Hawksnest, Trunk Bay, Cinnamon Bay, the Annaberg school and plantation, and maybe even Fort Berg. I thought I'd stop at one or two beaches (not for long) along the way to the ruins, and then I'd hit the last one on the way back and hopefully have time to let the kids take a quick dip. This is our first time in the Caribbean, and I know that I should probably just pick a beach and relax on it as much as possible, but I want to see it all!!!

Sunset in St. Thomas will occur at 6:48 pm on May 20, 2014. And the VI does not have a long twilight like people living in the northern states are used to. It gets dark here quickly after sunset. Not saying that it will bother you in particular being a long distance away from the ship after dark but it does make some cruisers nervous especially if they are driving. (Streets are not all that well marked!) Just mentioning this as it is something you may wish to consider when making your plans! I'm sure you will have a great time whatever you decide! :)

Thanks for the tip! We should be back on St. Thomas by sunset and heading to the pier in a taxi. Do you know what traffic will be like in the 5 or 6 o'clock hour going from Red Hook to the pier?

Sorry I can't really help with the 5 -6 o'clock traffic as I don't travel that way at that time of day. I do know that depending on the number of ships in port on any given day the traffic heading into CA can be heavy between 3 and 4:30 as most cruisers like to have a little time to look around town or shop before they depart. Maybe someone else can provide a better answer. :)

Kelsey ~ that's a much better time of year to visit. Many of the ships that call on St. Thomas in the winter (high) season have left for Europe or Alaska. It's too early to see a complete cruise ship schedules for St. Thomas next may but from doing a little research, it looks like Oasis of the Seas will be with you but she arrives early and leaves early (and she docks at Crown Bay and you'll be at Havensight) so I don't think you'll run into any problem with crowds on the day you are there.

If you are going to rent a car, I recommend renting it on St. John. It's not worth messing with getting a car and driving on St. Thomas to get to the car ferry (which brings you in south of Cruz Bay). I think you're better off taking the Red Hook ferry to Cruz Bay and picking up your rental jeep there. I would check out St. John Car Rental. We always used them when we'd visit on a ship and rent a car for the day. But they seem very difficult to book these days...always seem to be sold out of cars...so plan for a car now. You will need to allow time to get gas before returning a car and there currently is only one gas station on the island so it's a little bit of a pain. Be sure to factor enough time in to do that (I'd allow 30 minutes to get out to the gas station and get back to your car rental spot).

Your plan sounds like a good one. If you do rent a car, be sure to head up Bordeaux Mountain from the North Shore beaches. The views from the Chateau Bordeaux area are breathtaking.

Traffic heading back to the ship at 6:00 probably isn't as bad as 3 or 4 o'clock when most of the heavy ship passenger transports are happening. Most ships leave St. Thomas by 6:00 PM so while you'll have some local traffic I don't think it will be as bad a the 4:00 PM traffic. Also, May is shoulder season for the islands so it tends to be a bit more on the quiet side to begin with.

Good luck with your planning! Enjoy your cruise!

If all goes well, we'll get to St. John around 1:30. I'm worried about how little time we'll have if we're delayed and don't arrive until 2:30. St. John Car Rental requires that I return the car by 4:30. Should I...

1) reserve the car with SJCR assuming we'll get there by 1:30 and have enough time to tour the island before 4:30,

2) find another company that rents for one day but has a later drop off time (likely not as reputable), or

3) wait until I get to the island and judge whether or not we have time to benefit from a rental or if we should just take a taxi? There are 7 of us, so vehicle options are limited.

I appreciate the advice!

With only a short 7.5 hrs available we would not consider any of those options, we would all just hire a taxi for a tour on STJ and then enjoy Cruz Bay. You may even find a driver willing to customize an itinerary for just the 7 of you as well.

When we stay on Tortola our rental guy meets us at the ferry dock coming and going so there is no time wasted. On a cruise stop that expedited service would be 100 times more valuable. If that was an option on STJ and we didn't have to return it so early I would definitely rent a vehicle there. But otherwise I'd prefer to spend less time dealing with all of that and ejoy more time seeing STJ another way.

Good luck whatever choice you make, and you are currently the only ship scheduled in port on STT on May 20, 2014. Just try to choose an option that doesn't involve stress up until the moment you arrive on STJ - definitely not worth that!

I would rent a car at St. Thomas and take it to St. John on the car barge. With seven people you will save money, because the taxies and passenger ferries charge per person. The car barge charges $50 round trip per car, not per person. The passenger ferry will cost a lot more for 7 people ($12 pp), and you have taxi fare to Red Hook in addition. I have taken a car to St. John previously and had no problems. I would reserve a car in advance that can carry seven passengers. You will love St. John! The beaches there are awesome! Don't miss Trunk Bay if you like to snorkel.

Kelsey ~ taxi tours are typically about $25 per person for an island tour. Yes, you would arrange that when you get off the ferry in Cruz Bay. No need to arrange it beforehand. There will be plenty of taxis available when you arrive. At the time you are getting there, you may even be able to negotiate a little better rate for your group since there are seven of you. You are no arriving at a busy time (9 - 11 AM is the busiest on cruise days).

If you have specific things you want to see, the your driver know before you head out of town. They will also likely be willingly to drop you at one of the north shore beaches after an island tour for an hour or so if you'd like and then take you back to Cruz Bay. At the time of day you'll be on the island, they aren't going to have a ton of guests arriving from St. Thomas.

We have always found the taxi drivers on St. John to be friendly and fun. We've often used them over the years when we've had groups of people head to St. John for the day.

I think this is a better option than renting a car for a couple of hours. I wouldn't recommend renting on St. Thomas and taking the car barge. You spend a considerable amount of time doing that; St. Thomas is much more difficult to navigate (heavier traffic) if you aren't used to driving there; the car ferry dock, while not far, drops you off south of Cruz Bay making it a longer drive to and from the north shore beached. I think a taxi rental on St. John would provide the least stress and allow you more time seeing St. John.

ENJOY!

The taxi drivers are excellent guides and are flexible, and for $25pp you would be able see much of the beauty of STJ and then enjoy walking/shopping Cruz. You can find a beautiful Hook bracelet at St John Bracelets, mynwife had one custom made while we shopped Mongoose.

The taxi tour is a much better choice in my opinion.

Have a great cruise!

I was thinking of taking a taxi to Red Hook, ferry to St John, and renting a car while on St John only. To take a taxi to Trunk Bay only will cost my family of 5 $60 round trip. I could rent a vehicle for $85 or so and go to more than one beach, which is what I'd really like to do. But will I have enough time on St John to see more than one beach? I need to return to Red Hook because of the ferry times, so realistically, how much time will I have on St John to see multiple things? What time should I leave to return for the ship's departure at 8pm?

Yep, that's how I'd do it. Shoot for the 1pm ferry from Red Hook. It will get in at 120 at St John. Head into the National Park and the north side beaches are all in a row. I would start all the way down the end and work my way back.

1. Maho (15 minutes from Cruz Bay)

2. Cinnamon (12 minutes from Cruz)

3. Trunk (overrated IMHO) (10 mins from Cruz)

4. Hawknest. (8 minutes from Cruz)

Then stop at Woody's for Happy Hour in town and grab the 6pm ferry back. You will be on the ship by 7.

Carnival Sunshine leaving on 5/17/14. Arrives at St. Thomas on Tues, 5/20 at 12 pm; departs at 8 pm.

I spent a lot of time yesterday looking at St. John online. I think I could spend a week there easily! If time permits, I'd like to rent a car and head up N. Shore Rd., stopping at places such as Hawksnest, Trunk Bay, Cinnamon Bay, the Annaberg school and plantation, and maybe even Fort Berg. I thought I'd stop at one or two beaches (not for long) along the way to the ruins, and then I'd hit the last one on the way back and hopefully have time to let the kids take a quick dip. This is our first time in the Caribbean, and I know that I should probably just pick a beach and relax on it as much as possible, but I want to see it all!!!

We are on the same cruise - we booked it last night!!! We went to St. Thomas on the Dream in May 2011

Archived