Dress Categories. RCI makes another mess!!!

We mostly follow the suggested guidelines, except for smart casual, which is defined as a jacket for men. On casual and smart casual nights, my husband wears nice polo shirts and a pair of black or navy Docker type pants. When our sons cruise with us, they wear something similar to their Dad - no shorts ever. I wear a nice top with black pants. For formal nights, he wears a suit with a dress shirt and tie and I wear a nice cocktail type dress. We enjoy getting family pictures on those formal nights as it is difficult to get the family all dressed up any other time. If we really don't feel like getting nicely dressed for dinner, we go to the Windjammer. And, yes we pay the extra baggage fees when flying to a cruise to have the dress clothes.

Mary Anne

I don't care about the suggestions, we always dress nice for dinner. Since we are taking a shower after the days activity, it takes the same effort to put on nice clothes as it does to put on sloppy clothes.

And I have very long hair, so no matter where we go, that takes time to wash and dry, that being the longest prep.

And we love formal nights. Again takes no more prep time for that either.

The only time I brought jeans on a cruise was for Alaska but will never again. Takes too much space and weighs more that a dress.

So if you dress decently, what does it matter?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I also have the tux I wore for my wedding in 1971. Still fits perfectly. You proably remember After Six tuxedos. One of my best friends was manager of the factory in Philly. When I got married, the whole wedding party went to the factory and got tuxedos.

I bought a black suit and now use that for formal nights with tux accessories. Way less than $1000.

Amen, my husband bought one at a factory outlet many years ago and is still using it. Cost was less than for a suit. And dresses can be bought on eBay or other places for very little.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The staff who post or publish these things seem to have a problem with consistency. It looks like they used the labels differently in at least one case.

We found that they did that on their website for our itinerary too -

They posted:

Cannes (Monte Carlo), France 9:00 AM 6:00 PM Tendered

La Spezia (Florence/Pisa), Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PM Docked

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PM Docked

Naples (Salerno), Italy 7:00 AM 6:30 PM Docked

So, does the ship dock in Naples or in Salerno? The correct answer is Salerno. Why don't they follow the regular pattern - dock or tender at this port (you can visit this city). We are still not one hundred per cent sure about Cannes (Monte Carlo) but we think that it is formatted correctly, like Civitavecchia for Rome.

Told RCCL as a helpful gesture - there might be some unhappy people if they plan for Naples and find they are at the far end of the Amalfi Coast. I don't have a problem with Salerno - a new port for me and I am looking forward to it!

Just a small thing but I hope they aren't as cavalier about everything else! This is my first cruise with RCCL.

Real problem is that everyone has a different idea of what smart casual means. Lots of men in wrinkled khakis and a old polo shirt or madras shirt. The same clothes I wear to mow the lawn. We didn't particularly like 150 Central park but as many have said it's a lot about the atmosphere. Not really very upscale with people dressed that way. Same applies to formal nights.

This sums up the whole "problem." What is "smart causal all the way to formal" to one is different that it is to another. & Even when they say "slacks" that does not mean that the resulting non-jeans will be "slacks."

Why would any venue say that a jacket is suggested but mean you can wear anything you want. Are you saying that if they did not say jacket was suggested, I could not wear one? If I can wear whatever I want, then why say anything.

Here is what they and RCL really mean. "This is a formal night you should wear formal attire as suggested. We understand that there are some people who will do whatever they want. We would prefer to say formal attire is required and exclude them from all venues on formal nights as used to be the custom. However, we do not want to lose them as customers. We know that most people will follow formal guidelines and hope that you will ignore those who do not. Understand that having them on board to fill cabins does reduce your fare."

Its not any different then black tie required or black tie optional. One is required and one is suggested. Royals dress code would fall under black tie optional. They clearly state what isn't allowed, flip flops, tank tops, shirts and hats, anything else is up to the guest.

And you can post your interpretation of what you think they want/mean but that doesn't make it fact. Why you put it in quotes like it was something they actual said I don't know. People can dispute the dress code all they want but the fact remains the cruise line will continue to allow a more casual dress whether you like it or not.

Hmmm. I guess I don't see what's so confusing about the fact that some of the specialty restaurants suggest a jacket and others don't.

Paul, my initial observation was simply about the nomenclature they choose to use, and that the descriptions of what the same term means actually differ from one venue to another.

I could care less about the formal wear debate. And as much as it's probably hard to believe now, my intention was not to start yet another thread where people feel the need to pontificate about it.

I was merely marveling at the fact that if RCI can't even make up their mind what these terms mean, or what these expectations are, then I don't hold out a lot of hope for this motley crew to reach consensus!

Its not any different then black tie required or black tie optional. One is required and one is suggested. Royals dress code would fall under black tie optional. They clearly state what isn't allowed, flip flops, tank tops, shirts and hats, anything else is up to the guest.

And you can post your interpretation of what you think they want/mean but that doesn't make it fact. Why you put it in quotes like it was something they actual said I don't know. People can dispute the dress code all they want but the fact remains the cruise line will continue to allow a more casual dress whether you like it or not.

Forget what I like. I am just trying to look at this logically. I thought my previous post about suggested attire for a restaurant explained it but I will try again specifically for a cruise. You say that except for flip flops, tank tops, shirts(?) and hats anything else is up to the guest. Does this mean I can wear bib overalls? Then why have formal nights. Are you saying that I can only wear formal clothes on formal nights? If I can wear anything I want on any night then just say it. I would almost bet that if you talked to Richard Fain he would agree with the explanation I gave. Of course they want people to dress nicely and observe formal nights but they have to fill the ships. So they make it suggested knowing most will dress formally (or close to it) and the rest will fill the cabins. And if they really wanted people to wear anything they want, then why come out with new upgraded dress codes for specialty restaurants. My guess is that they get lots of complaints from passengers who would prefer a more upscale experience.

Paul, my initial observation was simply about the nomenclature they choose to use, and that the descriptions of what the same term means actually differ from one venue to another.

I could care less about the formal wear debate. And as much as it's probably hard to believe now, my intention was not to start yet another thread where people feel the need to pontificate about it.

I was merely marveling at the fact that if RCI can't even make up their mind what these terms mean, or what these expectations are, then I don't hold out a lot of hope for this motley crew to reach consensus!

I was not looking for a formal wear debate. If you reread the posts in this thread you will see that most people took the attitude that no matter what dress code RCL suggested they would just wear whatever they wanted. I am tired of that "I'll do what I want attitude".

It THOUGHT, on previous cruises, that specialty restaurants were "smart casual" every night. Boy have they made a MESS of this!! Here are the dress suggestions for the restaurants on my upcoming cruise:.....

I swear, does RCI encourage the people who come up with this stuff to drink on the job????;)

Thanks for posting this.

"We suggest" :rolleyes:

When the government wants the taxes I owe, their letter doesn't start with "We suggest" you owe us a million dollars (;)), they DEMAND payment - or else. Now that type of wording would make a great dress code!:D

Real problem is that everyone has a different idea of what smart casual means. Lots of men in wrinkled khakis

There are people on cruises who have wrinkled pants????? Surely you jest..... :rolleyes:

There are people on cruises who have wrinkled pants????? Surely you just..... :rolleyes:

You mean jest? And don't call me Surely!

Of course some wrinkles expected. I'm talking about clothes that go way beyond a few wrinkles. You can see by the way they dress that they just don't care. I am sure you have seen these people on cruises! Not a pretty picture on any night. Totally out of place on formal nights or in any "upscale" specialty restaurant!

You mean jest? And don't call me Surely!

Of course some wrinkles expected. I'm talking about clothes that go way beyond a few wrinkles. You can see by the way they dress that they just don't care. I am sure you have seen these people on cruises! Not a pretty picture on any night. Totally out of place on formal nights or in any "upscale" specialty restaurant!

fb-like-button.jpg

OK OK....You got me! I fixed the spelling Surely! :rolleyes:

Still can't figure out why there's so much confusion. We're all relatively smart people here (aren't we?).

Long pants and dress/polo shirts for men on dress up night, pants suits, slacks sleeve tops for women. You'll be admitted everywhere.

No need to worry about what someone else wears, or what they think of what I, or you wear. Do you really care?

I know I don't.

Still can't figure out why there's so much confusion. We're all relatively smart people here (aren't we?).

Long pants and dress/polo shirts for men on dress up night, pants suits, slacks sleeve tops for women. You'll be admitted everywhere.

No need to worry about what someone else wears, or what they think of what I, or you wear. Do you really care?

I know I don't.

I always ask the Maitre' D or Restaurant Manager why he allows men without jackets on Formal Night. So, yes I guess I do care. Maybe some day he will actually ask someone to leave. I still have hope!

I always ask the Maitre' D or Restaurant Manager why he allows men without jackets on Formal Night. So, yes I guess I do care. Maybe some day he will actually ask someone to leave. I still have hope!

Wow, you certainly let some things bother you. Ease up, life is too short. I am concerned about world peace, what someone wears to dinner is low on my worry list.

Wow, you certainly let some things bother you. Ease up, life is too short. I am concerned about world peace, what someone wears to dinner is low on my worry list.

Like I said it's the "I'll do what I want attitude" that bothers me. Not just dress codes. Chair Hogs, Smokers, Parents watching their kids trample plants in WJ on Freedom, people piling their plates in buffet and then leaving half of it, passengers not tipping, passengers treating workers badly, etc, etc, etc. I could probably go on and this is just on a cruise ship. Same stuff happens on land. I go to a nice restaurant and a bunch of loud young people in shorts and tank tops show up. Didn't say it was at the top of my worry list, but I didn't think we should discuss world peace on Cruise Critic. As I said, as soon as posters read the first post on this thread, their immediate response was that they did not care what RCL suggested, they would just do as they pleased.

Actually less worried about world peace since there is no one iota I can do about that!

As someone never having cruised on RCI previously it is confusing. The other two lines we've cruised were much more straight forward about listing their dress code requirements. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I've already told DH he needs to bring his suit just in case.

Oh my... Do you really do that? Why? What do you "hope" to gain? Do you truly think that any RCI employee really cares what a guest is wearing? If the cruise fare has been paid and the servers are getting their gratuities, all is right with the world. Besides, standards are set by a progressive majority, not by people who refuse to budge.

While I understand and respect your preference, the ship won't sink if someone wears a polo shirt in the MDR. Listen to Motorman - ease up! Enjoy your cruise and let others do the same.

Archived