Pride Leaving Baltimore?

absolutonrox

I've read a lot of posts about the Pride getting upgrades to "Fun Ship 2.0" early (late January?) next year, as well as posts saying it's leaving Baltimore, so I'm a little confused. Is it one or the other? Or both? On Carnival's website, they have cruises available for booking through the end of July 2014. If they ARE taking it out, do they have plans to replace it, or will Baltimore only have RC left there?

I've read a lot of posts about the Pride getting upgrades to "Fun Ship 2.0" early (late January?) next year, as well as posts saying it's leaving Baltimore, so I'm a little confused. Is it one or the other? Or both? On Carnival's website, they have cruises available for booking through the end of July 2014. If they ARE taking it out, do they have plans to replace it, or will Baltimore only have RC left there?

We have cruised on the Pride every year it's been here. We hate that it is leaving. As I understand it the Pride will go into dry dock sometime in January for a week or two. Then it will be leaving Baltimore in Nov 2014.:(

Pride is leaving Baltimore in 2014 and will not be replaced. It's due to new fuel standards - ships are required to use a much more expensive fuel when sailing in the Chesapeake and other northeast ports, so Carnival is really cutting back the number of cruises from northern ports. NYC is losing the Glory next year as well - just Splendor, doing both Caribbean and Canada cruises.

Well that's kinda crappy. I guess people along the middle of the east coast will be very limited as to Carribean cruises without flying. And airfare is almost as expensive as a week long cruise, and even more than the cost of some of the 3-4 days :(

Both. Pride is being repositioned to Tampa with no replacement in Baltimore. Baltimore's sole ship will be RCCL Grandeur of the Seas when Pride leaves.

Well that's kinda crappy. I guess people along the middle of the east coast will be very limited as to Carribean cruises without flying. And airfare is almost as expensive as a week long cruise, and even more than the cost of some of the 3-4 days :(

Yup. My cruise terminal here in Norfolk is also losing the Glory which we would get two months out of the year thanks to this new regulation in regard to the type of fuel the ships have to use within 200 miles of the US coast.

Keep in mind the EPA regulations effect all the cruise lines equally. Carnival is the only one (so far) that is choosing to leave the Northern ports. In fact, RCCL just announced their new ship Quantum of Seas will be out of Bayonne and they are even building a new terminal for it. So, I imagine Carnival is choosing to leave the area so they will not be forced to increase the cost of cruises or lower profits in order to cover the additional fuel cost. I for one, would rather pay more than have to fly south. Guess we will be trying some other lines so we can stay cruisin from local area. Fingers crossed something will change in 2015.

It looks like they have changed the dry dock date as well.

I had heard it would be in Jan. 2014 – but then I heard it would be late 2014.

Right now I cannot find ANY week in 2014 that is not available to book.

I noticed that, too. Apparently, they aren't even going to upgrade the Pride before she leaves Baltimore. Another slap in the face if you ask me.

And airfare is almost as expensive as a week long cruise, and even more than the cost of some of the 3-4 days :(
We just spent more on airfare to get to Europe for a 12-day cruise on Legend than we paid for the cruise itself (aside from sail and sign costs:o).

It all comes down to people are still willing to book the pride out of Baltimore, even though Carnival is pulling out, and not updating the ship to 2.0 items such as Guys Burgers, Burrito Bar, and Alchemy Bar and general updates on the ship. If enough people would not book for 2014, then maybe, Carnival might go back to the dry dock schedule of early feb 2014, but as long as people will book the ship without the updates, they will hold off until it goes to tampa

I have mentioned a few times on the boards that we are still in the early deciding factor between Pride or Fantasy. I have not sailed Carnival in over 20 years...so have been asking around for advice. I was really excited that the 2.0 was due to take place in Jan thinking that by the time we sailed (July) that we would get the option of getting a balcony (fantasy just doesn't really have them at a price I'm willing to pay) plus all the new upgrades/bars/restaurants. Now I'm disappointed to have read that the upgrades on Pride might not take place at all....what a bummer. I was messaged off the boards about giving Pride a chance (since I was unsure of the décor and DS-9) and looking beyond that we were told by other past cruisers that it was not really a big deal. After looking into the Pride in more detail and knowing we could do a Balcony and knowing DS would be going to bed early we were tipping towards the Pride. I guess time will tell. We are not booking until Jan/Feb so I guess we will need to see what cabins are being offered at what price. I wish they would stay in Baltimore (a 5 hr drive north for us) AND do the 2.0 at the beginning of the year!!

I just hit submit and read a few e-mails. I got this from my TA, she said someone had asked carnival about it and the carnival rep stated:

"The Carnival Pride drydock will now take place in late 2014 and we will finalize the exact dates in the next weeks. "

So yeah...darn, no guys burgers for us if we go on this ship in July.

I'll be looking to cruise out of NJ of NY or we'll take the train to Florida. If we end up going out of NY or NJ it most likely will not be Carnival. I'm real sorry to see them go. We are seeing more and more companies pulling out of MD so we are kind of used to it.

Pride is moving to Tampa to replace the Legend in Aug 2014 for good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OIIIO

Not sure whre you got the "for good" part. I have not seen that posted anywhere. Even if it was, they change homeports on a regular basis.

It all comes down to people are still willing to book the pride out of Baltimore, even though Carnival is pulling out, and not updating the ship to 2.0 items such as Guys Burgers, Burrito Bar, and Alchemy Bar and general updates on the ship. If enough people would not book for 2014, then maybe, Carnival might go back to the dry dock schedule of early feb 2014, but as long as people will book the ship without the updates, they will hold off until it goes to tampa

Don't count on it. The change in dry dock will in all likelyhood be tied to when it leaves Baltimore.

Don't count on it. The change in dry dock will in all likelyhood be tied to when it leaves Baltimore.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind. I'm also going to go out on a limb and predict that they will bring a ship back to Baltimore in the warmer months. In the colder months, they practically give the cruises away, so the more expensive fuel would be a bigger issue. The prices more than double from early June thru August. They are able to fill the ships at the inflated prices, so I see no reason for them not to continue the MD sailings when they are making bigger $$$. The Florida sailings are usually much cheaper than the Baltimore sailings in the summer.

The prices more than double from early June thru August. They are able to fill the ships at the inflated prices, so I see no reason for them not to continue the MD sailings when they are making bigger $$$. The Florida sailings are usually much cheaper than the Baltimore sailings in the summer.

LOL, don't disagree. The other way to look at it is they have to severely discount their prices in colder months to fill the cabins.... is the glass half full or half empty.:rolleyes:

Archived