Cape Liberty Port

absolutonrox

I'm looking at a cruise out of Cape Liberty to Bahamas or Bermuda. Where I live (Lancaster, PA) is about a 3 hr train ride from Penn Station in NY. Anyone know if a cab is the best way to get to the port from Penn Station? Or are there options that might be better?

You don't want to take the train to New York Penn Station. You want to get off the train at Newark Penn Station, which is in New Jersey, not far from Cape Liberty.

A taxi from Newark Penn Station to Cape Liberty will probably cost about $50 plus tolls and tip...not cheap, but cheaper than traveling from NY Penn Station to the port, and it's a lot shorter trip too. If you're more adventurous and can handle your luggage you can also get from Newark Penn Station to Cape Liberty by a combination of PATH, Light rail and taxi. It would save you money versus a taxi but would take longer and requires multiple transfers between transportation modes.

I know public transit is not for everyone, but the trip from Newark Penn Station to Cape Liberty is relatively easy and can be $40-50 cheaper for two people. When you get off the train, Path is right there whereas cabs are downstairs. You buy a Path ticket ($2.25/pp) and get on the train on the same platform level. This is the start of the line, you can get a seat or wait for th next train to get a seat. You go to Exchange Place, where there is an elevator to take you up to the street level. The light rail station is right there on the street outside the Path Station. There is easy access with rolling luggage and flat access onto the light rail car and the trains are not crowded. The light rail is a modern European-like tram. You buy a ticket from the machine ($2.10), validate it, and get on the train to Bayonne. At 34th St in Bayonne you get off and call a cab (we can provide numbers). Cab fare into the port is about $10. This trip should take no more than an hour.

You should take the earliest possible train if you're coming in the morning of the cruise. You don't have to decide between cab or public transit until you get to Newark

Do you know if there are cabs readily available after getting off the train at Newark Penn Station? I found a website that estimates cab fare, and it said around $30 from NPS to Bayonne, so you're guesstimate of $50 is probably pretty close. I'm not real familiar with public transportation, so bus hopping is probably not my best bet. Amtrak plus the cab for my wife and I seems to be about the same price as driving and parking at the port for 8 days. I'm leaning towards the train just because I've heard a lot about construction around the port and that it can be a pain to get around there sometimes. If I'm paying either way, I'd rather not be the one driving and leave it up to someone who at least has a clue where they're going :rolleyes:

Do you know if there are cabs readily available after getting off the train at Newark Penn Station? I found a website that estimates cab fare, and it said around $30 from NPS to Bayonne, so you're guesstimate of $50 is probably pretty close. I'm not real familiar with public transportation, so bus hopping is probably not my best bet. Amtrak plus the cab for my wife and I seems to be about the same price as driving and parking at the port for 8 days. I'm leaning towards the train just because I've heard a lot about construction around the port and that it can be a pain to get around there sometimes. If I'm paying either way, I'd rather not be the one driving and leave it up to someone who at least has a clue where they're going :rolleyes:

Taxis should be readily available at Newark Penn Station.

You didn't say what site you got the taxi fare estimate from, but if it was taxifarefinder or taxiwiz, neither one is worth looking at for the Newark area. I doubt anyone is going to take you from Newark Penn Station to Bayonne for $30.

Archived