Anchorage to Whittier transportation?

trixietx

We are supposed to arrive at the Anchorage airport at 8:40 a.m. and would like to go to Whittier and do the Prince William Sound cruise that day. The problem is the train leaves at 9:45 and I can't find any other transportation that will give us the time to collect our bags, go to our hotel downtown to store our bags and get us to Whittier in time to make the cruise. Any suggestions?

why not rent a car for the day? Pick it up at the airport, store your luggage in the trunk, then drop the car at the downtown office.

Whittier is maybe a 90 minute drive and very straightforward. This will also give you the opportunity to make a few other sightseeing stops, (maybe the Wildlife Conservation Center?). And you won't have to worry about missing your transfer if the flight is late or delayed.

That will be very tight in any case. Even if you rent a car, you won't get your luggage until about 9.15am at the earliest, then you get the car by 9.30am at the earliest. You need to be at the Whittier tunnel by 10.35am to make the 10.30-10.45am tunnel opening. That is VERY tight. If you take the 11.45am tunnel opening, you will miss most PWS cruises. I think you need to look at other options for that day and do the PWS cruise another day.

I have easily made either of Major Marines boat tours, including this year Surprise Glacier going through the 11:30AM tunnel. Boat tour was at 12:15p I've done this several times. You would have to be organized, having your "go" stuff all ready, and get direct to check in. After the tunnel, Major Marine is first building on the left, after the cruise dock and crossing the bridge.

Check on Phillips time, since that would be even closer to check in and boarding.

With Major Marine, you would have to board before the cruiseship dock, same place as Phillips.

With doing Major Marines Blackstone trip which leaves at 12:45p no problem making this.

why not rent a car for the day? Pick it up at the airport, store your luggage in the trunk, then drop the car at the downtown office.

Whittier is maybe a 90 minute drive and very straightforward. This will also give you the opportunity to make a few other sightseeing stops, (maybe the Wildlife Conservation Center?). And you won't have to worry about missing your transfer if the flight is late or delayed.

I'm assuming the train and cars still share the tunnel as they used to, so driving time is dependent on making the "car time" for your direction of travel.

Archived