Holland America Reduces Bring-On Wine Allowance

LauraS

Good for you for writing back:D

I had no problem reading your post;)

Me too. I was able to read it just fine. It's probably the content that upset the other poster;)

I have to say, though, that maybe 51Pinot's exasperation with the way the wine server dealt with the situation in the Lido may have been contributed to by his overall disappointment with issues on this cruise. It sounds like the server was trying her best in a difficult situation, and within her limitations.

I had no trouble reading your post, '51 Pinot, but letters like this are generally more effective if they are short and sweet and address only one issue.

In this instance, I believe the main issue is that you want to board your own wine (a sentiment with which I heartily agree) and will not be likely to rebook another HAL cruise if you cannot (another sentiment with which I heartily agree. We too are happy to pay a $15.00 corkage fee for wine we board and drink on our balcony, or anywhere else our heats' desire, but not being able to board our own wine is the deal breaker for us.

Thats werid as they did not do this on our Sept P'dam cruise. They did check our bottles in Bordeaux to make sure they were not fortified wines but then in Lisbon they did not. Who knows!

Kirk....they checked ours in Lisbon. We bought some right at the port area. Maybe it depended who was working at the time. They checked ours EVERY time.

Me too. I was able to read it just fine. It's probably the content that upset the other poster;)

I have to say, though, that maybe 51Pinot's exasperation with the way the wine server dealt with the situation in the Lido may have been contributed to by his overall disappointment with issues on this cruise. It sounds like the server was trying her best in a difficult situation, and within her limitations.

Same here. Read it just fine.

Dan

---- I just sent the following to Mr. Kruse stating my feelings:

Hello Mr. Kruse' date='[/i']

Through Christine Ferris, you recently responded to my email regarding your new wine policy effective next year. I had then then stated that my then upcoming cruise might just be my last one with HAL and now that the cruise has finished (Athens to Barcelona via Noordam) I can easily say that it will be my last with HAL. I will now be using other cruise lines. Personally, I’ve seen the degradation of your overall product over the past several years and that’s why I’ll be choosing other carriers in the future.

The only way that I will come back to HAL is if you upgrade (only slightly, good wines aren’t that expensive) your wine selections. You’re already charging an upgraded price, now just make the wines match.[/font][/size]

These posts do make us nervous. Not due particularly to their new wine policy, which we aren't happy with, but is this indicative of the beginning to a degeneration of HAL's overall service?

Between the three lines we have always cruised with we have almost reached 500 sea nights. Close to half of that is with HAL. We are not inclined to begin anew, building awards and benefits, with a forth outfit, getting too old for that. The line we prefer nowadays is Regent, unfortunately they have only three ships therefore their cruise selection is somewhat limited.

This winter we are booked on the Statendam for thirty days in the Pacific. We chose that because we both yearn for a cruise itinerary with lots of sunny sea days. (Two weeks ago we returned from Northern Europe on Regent where we did 20 ports on a 22 day cruise, although one of the best voyages if not the best we ever had, we anticipated we would need a change of pace from daily shore excursions by the time we finished with that one.)

Last time on HAL will have been three years ago. When we booked the Statendam I had no idea of the wine policy change, etc., or we might have had second thoughts. Except for the Hawaiian Island leg we won't be able to find wine to buy most other places anyway, so perhaps that won't make much difference, except I keep hearing their wine selections on board have deteriorated too. Guess we could still back out, but then we can't find anything we like better. So, I'm hoping the HAL news gets better.

These posts do make us nervous. Not due particularly to their new wine policy, which we aren't happy with, but is this indicative of the beginning to a degeneration of HAL's overall service?

Between the three lines we have always cruised with we have almost reached 500 sea nights. Close to half of that is with HAL. We are not inclined to begin anew, building awards and benefits, with a forth outfit, getting too old for that. The line we prefer nowadays is Regent, unfortunately they have only three ships therefore their cruise selection is somewhat limited.

This winter we are booked on the Statendam for thirty days in the Pacific. We chose that because we both yearn for a cruise itinerary with lots of sunny sea days. (Two weeks ago we returned from Northern Europe on Regent where we did 20 ports on a 22 day cruise, although one of the best voyages if not the best we ever had, we anticipated we would need a change of pace from daily shore excursions by the time we finished with that one.)

Last time on HAL will have been three years ago. When we booked the Statendam I had no idea of the wine policy change, etc., or we might have had second thoughts. Except for the Hawaiian Island leg we won't be able to find wine to buy most other places anyway, so perhaps that won't make much difference, except I keep hearing their wine selections on board have deteriorated too. Guess we could still back out, but then we can't find anything we like better. So, I'm hoping the HAL news gets better.

How does the new wine policy relate to "Overall Service"?

How does the new wine policy relate to "Overall Service"?

Well, Geez, I thought that was pretty much evident by my entire post, if you had read it. Once again, the "wine" policy may or may not have to do with every aspect of the typical HAL cruise. The question is, does it or does it not?

First off--As a preface, I copied part of 51 Pinot's lengthy post in which he addressed his pet peeve to Mr. Kruse as the wine policy but then went on to specifically say: "Personally, I've seen the degradation of your overall product over the past several years and that's why I'll be choosing other carriers in the future."

And, as I indicated: "Not due particularly to their new wine policy, which we aren't happy with, but is this indicative of the beginning to a degeneration of HAL's overall service?" Hey, get it? Emphasis on the "indicative".

Furthermore, I see you have posted at length on this thread over the wine situation, but have you noticed the concern that HAL's "overall cuisine and service product has deteriorated" as 51 Pinot and others assert?

Apparently, you have a more positive view of the future for HAL's overall performance in their food and service scores, and that is good. Anyway, please allay our fears by enlightening us with evidence that this new wine policy of HAL's is not the "canary in the coal mine" telling us hard core HAL cruisers to abandon ship.

It just makes me sad that the poll was closed.

It would probably be a very good thing for HAL to know that approximately 40% of their loyal customer base plans to move on as a result of their extremely restrictive new wine policy. What a very silly decision.

It would probably be a very good thing for HAL to know that approximately 40% of their loyal customer base plans to move on as a result of their extremely restrictive new wine policy. What a very silly decision.

It's not 40% of it's passengers.

It's 40% of the people on cruise critic

Which is 2-5% of it's passenger base.

It's not 40% of it's passengers.

It's 40% of the people on cruise critic

Which is 2-5% of it's passenger base.

That shows a trend. If 40 percent of CCers feel that way, then 40% of those cruisers who haven't discovered CC would feel the same way as well, if asked.

I don't recall the poll asking anything about plans to move on. It asked if the new wine policy would have any effect on your next cruise selection.

I did not participate in the poll because the question, as asked, was meaningless. If the poll question had asked if you would move on as a result of the new policy, I would have participated and answered "no".

I don't recall the poll asking anything about plans to move on. It asked if the new wine policy would have any effect on your next cruise selection.

I did not participate in the poll because the question, as asked, was meaningless. If the poll question had asked if you would move on as a result of the new policy, I would have participated and answered "no".

The thing is that people say they will do something but they don't. I try not to let my mouth write a cheque that I'm not willing to cash. For me, my word means something. For others, they are mad and when they cool down it will be a different story. I think Hal will relax the new policy but it will be interesting to see how many people will follow through if they don't.

That shows a trend. If 40 percent of CCers feel that way, then 40% of those cruisers who haven't discovered CC would feel the same way as well, if asked.

A trend is when you have a comparison. Since this was a single poll, I fail to see a trend component.

The 2% to 5% might even be an overstatement in my opinion.

We will never know the exact statistics. We are just a small sample of the cruising population. Very , VERY small. IMHO, 40% saying the new policy will make an impact on their next cruise decision is much higher than I anticipated. As a wine drinker, I can't say I have ever seen 40% around me drinking wine in the DR or lounges. That must mean more are drinking in their cabins. When queried, DH thought the results would have been 20%.

I thought your wording was fine. I have no idea what others couldn't understand or felt ambiguous! Boggles my mind!

Again, IMHO, according to these results, HAL could be in trouble. The line has a reputation as being for old people. It may have lured some younger people with it's liberal wine policy. Some of us may "suck it up" and continue to sail HAL anyway. Time will tell.

A trend is when you have a comparison. Since this was a single poll, I fail to see a trend component.

Then what did you see in your results? What is your opinion? Maybe a real trend can't be proven. Unless it shows CC participants are more inclined to drink wine than cruisers with no interest in CC. We'll never know that---until we see if HAL loses customers in time.

The 2% to 5% might even be an overstatement in my opinion.

We had 80,give or take, at our Prinsendam meet and greet. The ship only carries in the neighbourhood of 850 passengers. Overstatement? Certainly not.

We had 80,give or take, at our Prinsendam meet and greet. The ship only carries in the neighbourhood of 850 passengers. Overstatement? Certainly not.

good point Sapper - and our previous Prinsendam cruise before the last one we had nearly 100!

Aside from what percentage of passengers are cc members the other thing worth bearing in mind is how much or how long or how often the members cruise.

The thing is that people say they will do something but they don't. I try not to let my mouth write a cheque that I'm not willing to cash. For me, my word means something. For others, they are mad and when they cool down it will be a different story. I think Hal will relax the new policy but it will be interesting to see how many people will follow through if they don't.

I am not in the least "mad" or even upset. I just like bringing my own wine on board and, if I can't in the future, I really will move on. No question about that.

As long as there are other lines that allow carry-on wine, they are the lines I will choose.

How will you know?

good point Sapper - and our previous Prinsendam cruise before the last one we had nearly 100!

Aside from what percentage of passengers are cc members the other thing worth bearing in mind is how much or how long or how often the members cruise.

We had 55 CC members on our 2 week cruise. It just depends. The funny thing is, most people we meet onboard don't know about CC. How could you not know, if you cruise a lot???

We had 55 CC members on our 2 week cruise. It just depends. The funny thing is, most people we meet onboard don't know about CC. How could you not know, if you cruise a lot???

Once they do find out a lot of them run home and join. I have been in on the discussion of a few screen names.

Archived