Best way from midtown to Brooklyn terminal

remydiva

I am taking the advice given here to print up a google map with the 72 Bowne Red Hook terminal address to give to either a taxi or car service.

But, out of curiosity from those who have done this trip.

..which route is most likely to be the best and one of choice for Saturday departure (so I know ahead of time...anal planner me:rolleyes:)...using the FDR Drive and Brooklyn Bridge OR the Huge Carey Tunnel?

thanks in advance.

What is the address of your hotel? If you come down the west side, the tunnel is easier, but it has a toll. If you're on the east side, the Brooklyn Bridge may be easier if the traffic is OK.

I think it is plunk in the middle....63 W. 35th Hilton Garden Inn. I figured the toll would be something a taxi driver would avoid?

Book a reputable car service and tell them you want to go the toll free route. Traffic is unpredictable in NYC. The "free" bridge could really rack up taxi meter charges under the wrong traffic conditions.

it really depends on whether the Brooklyn Bridge is being worked on or not.

Its shorter from the Brooklyn Bridge, and you avoid the toll, however if the Brooklyn Bridge is being worked on that weekend...take the tunnel.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/infrastructure/brooklyn-bridge.shtml

wow...thanks for the link. I had no idea there was renos being done. From the schedule listed, it would appear that if we travel around noon on a Sat there shouldn't be any closures since most seem at night time.

i do thank you for the information....sure is nice to have CCs on the ground, in the loop and in the know :)

wow...thanks for the link. I had no idea there was renos being done. From the schedule listed, it would appear that if we travel around noon on a Sat there shouldn't be any closures since most seem at night time.

i do thank you for the information....sure is nice to have CCs on the ground, in the loop and in the know :)

they "close" the bridge about one weekend a month(they actually close the Brooklyn bound lane and reverse the normally bound Manhattan one to take the traffic from Manhattan to Brooklyn...needless to say it causes big delays...)....I use either the tunnel or the Manhattan Bridge but then again I know how to use the Manhattan bridge and am not paying the meter either since I am driving.

Use a car service and let them go which ever way they think is best. Its a fixed fee and they will know if the bridge is being worked on that day. for a vacation $5 either way shouldn't make or break the trip. IMO

Archived