Have read lots of bad things about Nassau, what to do?

PA Beachlovers

There seems to be lots of negative comments about Nassau, so we are wondering what to do there. Would love to see Atlantis but the prices of the excursions are way out of line for the time there. This will be our last stop of our 8 day on the Breeze and we are there from noon till 7. Can anyone recommend a good beach, also we have read about some hotels that offer all inclusive day packages, or anything else not wallet breaking to do in Nassau?

Take the time to read the threads here - there is a lot to do! The Sheraton has the cheapest day pass ($30 - includes chairs, towels, non-motorized water sports). It's an easy taxi or jitney ride. There is a public beach with facilities a 10 minute walk from the port. There is good local food at the Fish Fry, about a 15 minute walk. There is a day pass at the Hilton, very short walk, although it's more expensive than the Sheraton because it includes a food/drink voucher. Personally, since your time is short, I'd stick with the Sheraton, and just eat on the ship (I also prefer the Sheraton over the Hilton - bigger, nicer pools, nicer beach).

We've always enjoyed Nassau. In fact, we just booked a weekend trip for October. Can't wait! :)

With those hours, a day pass at Sheraton might work for you. It's $30 a person (not sure how much for children). Food and drinks are extra but you can eat lunch before you get off the ship.

Or check into Blue Lagoon. Your ship probably offers an excursion there for a lot cheaper than Atlantis.

Or just get off the ship and walk around and enjoy some of the historical sites like Fort Fincastle and the Queen's Staircase. Free!

AHOY SHIPMATES,

Can anybody give me a rough price for FISH & CHIPS AND OF COURCE A COLD BEER at the FISH FRY in Nassau ?..... THANKS

GARY

Here's a menu. Most places are similar.

http://www.goldiesconchhousenassau.com/menu.html

They don't server traditional Fish and Chips.

Mainly Bahamian Food, with sides like peas and rice, macaroni and cheese etc.

If you want a traditional Fish and Chips.. go across the street to the Cricket Club .. they serve british fare.

http://bahamascricket.com/menu/

I've felt the same discouragement regarding Nassau.

In the carribean, we've been to:

San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. John's, Antigua; St. Thomas, USVI; Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas; Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Cozumel, Mexico but this will be our first time going to Nassau. Honestly, we've avoided itineraries with that port because of all the negative reviews we've read. Nassau really seems to be the black sheep of the Carribean according to CC (I know it's not technically part of the carribean).

This year we promised DS we'd sail on the Epic and so here we are going to Nassau. But, he has his heart set on Atlantis (we are bombarded with Atlantis Resort commercials). Even though I've heard negative things about Atlantis and Nassau, it looks like we are doing both for the love of the boy.

So I've just kind of resigned to the fact that I'll have to grin and bear this port. I honestly hope it's not as bad as it seems to be on here.

If you've never been to Nassau before then it's worth at least getting off the ship and checking out the immediate area. Plenty of places to get a bite to eat, do a little shopping, soak up the local culture etc.

If you've been before then (in my opinion) one of the best things you can do in Nasssu is stay in the ship. No hunting for a deck chair, no waiting for drinks, it's about as good as it gets.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I got to admit that j liked Nassau when I went last year. Seem like a pretty port. I went to Atlantis. It was a nice place but hard to find things cause the map sucked. It rained all the time we were there but still liked being lost in the rain and clueless where we were. It was a fun adventure.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We've been to Nassau a few times and we said we are not getting off the ship...then end up getting off ship and walking around the surrounding area. Once we took a taxi to the Atlantis, it's big, but been there once and that's it. The Straw Market has moved and no longer made out of straw but still basically the same. Would still rather walk the streets there then in my neighboring cities of Newark or Jersey City. In Nassau there is a history of pirates and blue water nice to swim in. There is plenty to do just be street smart and be aware of your surroundings like you would anywhere else, you'll be fine and enjoy.

Sent from my XT907 using Forums mobile app

We've always enjoyed Nassau. In fact, we just booked a weekend trip for October. Can't wait! :)

With those hours, a day pass at Sheraton might work for you. It's $30 a person (not sure how much for children). Food and drinks are extra but you can eat lunch before you get off the ship.

Or check into Blue Lagoon. Your ship probably offers an excursion there for a lot cheaper than Atlantis.

Or just get off the ship and walk around and enjoy some of the historical sites like Fort Fincastle and the Queen's Staircase. Free!

Crusin', your travel blog is awesome! I had read your review of Caladesi Island the other day and actually used it to recommend it to a friend a few days ago. Love me some Clearwater! ;)

Crusin', your travel blog is awesome! I had read your review of Caladesi Island the other day and actually used it to recommend it to a friend a few days ago. Love me some Clearwater! ;)

Thanks, Mocha! I hope your friend enjoys Caladesi.

We've taken a cab to Cabbage Beach on two occasions. We've had a blast both times. Reading things here one would think he is taking his life in his hands. That has not been our experience. Next time we stop in Nassau we will visit again. $4 pp cab ride btw.

We've taken a cab to Cabbage Beach on two occasions. We've had a blast both times. Reading things here one would think he is taking his life in his hands. That has not been our experience. Next time we stop in Nassau we will visit again. $4 pp cab ride btw.

These last 2 seasons we have had some several erosion problems due to dredging causing severe drop offs and rip tides.

Although the beach can be lovely at times, it's red flagged quite often (meaning NO swimming)

This past spring they had a handful of drownings, and a couple dozen people who need to be rescued. It's no joke. Especially when there is no life guard on duty.

With cruisers having such a short time in port, it seems a shame that they would make their way to this beach only to find it red flagged.

Archived