Help me understand charters

Katesowner

We've sailed enough on NCL to be platinum but have never been aware of their charters. They have a 5-day cruise scheduled in March, and we have been thinking of taking it because of the shorter-than-7-days length and its stop in Key West. Someone on another thread had concerns about that being a charter. I googled the Pearl and charters and found a website that told about these short cruises and their being good for groups. It doesn't seem this would be a music cruise.

If we were to book the cruise, how could its being a charter affect us? Would NCL tell us it is a charter? Could we lose our booking?

Has anyone taken one of these cruises without being part of a group? Pros and cons will be appreciated:)

No...they won't tell you what, if any, groups are on the ship. Most of the time, groups won't affect you at all. On EVERY sailing, there are groups....but it will depend on how big the group is......sometimes, venues are closed to only that group.

If you don't want to risk it, book a different date.

There are full-ship charters and just large groups.

With a group, other passengers are allowed, but the group's special events and concerts would not be available to non-group passengers. The "feel" of the cruise can be affected signficantly with a large group on board.

In the case of a full-ship charter, passengers with reservations before the charter is put together typically get notified by NCL that their reservations are being cancelled, and may be offered some compensation or not. After the charter is announced, no more bookings except through the charter operator/organizer.

We've sailed enough on NCL to be platinum but have never been aware of their charters. They have a 5-day cruise scheduled in March, and we have been thinking of taking it because of the shorter-than-7-days length and its stop in Key West. Someone on another thread had concerns about that being a charter. I googled the Pearl and charters and found a website that told about these short cruises and their being good for groups. It doesn't seem this would be a music cruise.

If we were to book the cruise, how could its being a charter affect us? Would NCL tell us it is a charter? Could we lose our booking?

Has anyone taken one of these cruises without being part of a group? Pros and cons will be appreciated:)

What date are you looking at? I just booked the Pearl for March 11, 2014, and it only recently showed up as available for booking and I am trying to find out if it is a charter that was opened up to the public, or if the whole charter was cancelled.

Archived