travelex questions for pre existing condition

eigig

Hi

We are not new to cruising and not new to travel insurance (always buy it) but we are new to perhaps needing to use it.

We are booked to sail in an Owner's suite RCCL on 1/12/14. When we booked, we purchased cruise insurance with pre existing condition from Travelex. We did this because my husband has MS (long long time and stable now) and we just wanted to be sure.

Now we found that he also has spinal stenosis and may need surgery. Our final payment is most likely in October and I am thinking that we should just cancel the cruise though we would both dearly love to go.

I don't want to take the chance that the insurance tells us that this is not covered or have a big long drawn out fight with them when we need to concentrate on other things.

Does anyone have experience if they needed to cancel a cruise due to surgery?

thanks so much

• 2 weeks later...

If you think you may have to cancel the cruise, go ahead and do so before you are in your penalty period. If you wait after receiving the word you need surgery, you may end up in a battle with the insurance company with them arguing you should have canceled as soon as it was apparent it would be necessary.

This isn't a pre-ex question, instead it refers to your "duty to mitigate damages".

Archived