Power adapters.

1st time cruiser and need some assistance.

Celebrity Reflection

Oasis of the Seas

Carnival Glory.

Norwegian Star

What type of power adapter(s) will I need to have to use my Aussie laptop, charge the phone and for the DW to use her hair straightener, hair dryer?

Do the cabins have hair dryers?

Does the voltage (which I assume will be USA voltage) affect these things?

Is it correct that you are not allowed a travel iron on board?

You will need to find out what power supply sockets are in the cabin for each of those ships. I would guess that they either have one or both of European 230V or US 110V power. These are two different levels of voltage - with the European one more like what we have here. Also they both have different connector pin types.

Having found out this info, you then need to consider exactly what equipment it is that you want to power up/charge and see if that equipment will operate/charge up on those voltages. Hence you will also need appropriate adaptors for your equipment to plug into the power sockets

Barry

Cruise lines do not like pax or forbid pax to bring their own electrical appliances on board . All cruise lines provide hair dryers in the cabins .

The non Australian based cruise ships are fitted firstly with two pin US outlets at 120v AC, and in some cases European outlets at 240v AC.

With most computers, phone chargers, tablets etc these they allow for an input voltage of either 120 or 240v AC .

So get a pack of Kojo travel plug adapters from your TA and then your three or two pin Australian plugs can be plugged into either the 120v or 240v outlet.

Just be careful the input voltage of the device you want to use is plugged into the outlet of the same voltage.

no irons allowed onboard either, they are a fire hazard too

Correct. However contrary to what above posters have said, I had no issue taking a hair straightener and curling iron onto the Mariner of the seas, although I don't know if I shouldn't have and they just didn't pick it up on the scanners.

Celebrity Reflection

Oasis of the Seas

Carnival Glory.

Norwegian Star

What type of power adapter(s) will I need to have to use my Aussie laptop, charge the phone and for the DW to use her hair straightener, hair dryer?

As others have posted, most ships have both 110v US flat pin, and 220v European round pin outlets. These are limited, mostly one or two each in your cabin. Most electronic chargers work on 100-240v (check the writing on your charger), so you may just need adapters for the Aussie plugs.

Personal hair appliances like dryers and straighteners are allowed (check the lines' websites in FAQ lists for "what to pack, or what is allowed". Other appliances that have heating elements are prohibited (clothes irons, tea kettles, etc).

Power strips are generally acceptable, provided they are in very good condition. Power strips with surge protectors are sometimes confiscated, as the surge suppressors cause problems with the ship's wiring.

Celebrity Reflection

Oasis of the Seas

Carnival Glory.

Norwegian Star

We have been on Celebrity and Norwegian - they both use USA standard plugs. Celebrity also has a universal plug in the main room to plug a kettle into. Your laptop phone etc will be dual voltage so they will charge fine. The hair straightener may or may not work depending on the model but I wouldn't bother. I took a small clothes steamer on our last cruise and because it was 240 v and the ship 110 v it didn't heat up enough. All cabins have hair dryers in them.

We have been on 15 cruises now - and have learnt to not worry about bad hair days and wrinkly clothes :) mummsie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived