Early check-in or Luggage drop off question

kiramoli

Hello, we are booked on Riviera out of Barcelona September 19th. Our flight gets us in Barcelona at 9:30 am. Considering customs/baggage and trip from the airport to the port we estimate to be at the port around 11 am. My understanding is that Check-IN won't start until 12:30 or 1. Is there a place where we can store luggage so we can wander into Barcelona and not be chained to the port and our luggage? We are ok if we have to pay for storage. Even if it's for couple of hours it feels stupid to stay in port only because of luggage issue.

Also, how long and how much is the ride from ariport to the port? I just want to get an idea, doesn't have to be exact.

The last question is, our cabin is 'guarantee'. Will it make a difference if we check-in early or late that day? Is it pre-assigned or is it really assigned at check-in time and if we do it earlier there will be more options/bettter decks, etc.

Thank you in advance.

I had the same question, and was told by my TA, who is very familiar with Oceania, that early luggage drop off is no problem. We will also be at the port about 11 am and want to wander around Barcelona without luggage (different cruise, same issue).

Fran

Hello, we are booked on Riviera out of Barcelona September 19th. Our flight gets us in Barcelona at 9:30 am. Considering customs/baggage and trip from the airport to the port we estimate to be at the port around 11 am. My understanding is that Check-IN won't start until 12:30 or 1. Is there a place where we can store luggage so we can wander into Barcelona and not be chained to the port and our luggage? We are ok if we have to pay for storage. Even if it's for couple of hours it feels stupid to stay in port only because of luggage issue.

Also, how long and how much is the ride from ariport to the port? I just want to get an idea, doesn't have to be exact.

The last question is, our cabin is 'guarantee'. Will it make a difference if we check-in early or late that day? Is it pre-assigned or is it really assigned at check-in time and if we do it earlier there will be more options/bettter decks, etc.

Thank you in advance.

The porters at the terminal should be able to take you luggage at the time. There is no 'paid for' storage at the port and other storage facilities would mean having to return to them to pick up the luggage en route to embarkation. Even if you arrived significantly earlier and had to wait a bit to drop off I am sure it would not be very long. Suite pax board at 11:00 so the porters will be ready to go.

Leave your bags and take the shuttle bus back the foot of Las Ramblas or a waiting taxi

taxi airport to terminal depends on which terminal at the airport, # of pax and amount of luggage but €35 should cover it

No difference in time with your GTY booking. You may have your cabin assigned before you leave so then you will know definitely the stateroom and final category.

Agree with YoHoHo. I would not leave my "valuables" at the port - maybe it's just me. At the same time, Barcelona is notorious for pick-pockets, etc - hence your slight dilemma.

You just might be able to check in at 11AM - depending on how many people are there, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you drop off your luggage early, do you usually tip the porters, and if so, how much per bag?

Technically you don't have to but your chances of not having your bag "mishandled" (as in thrown around) are better if you tip them. Of course, it may make no difference, but I don't want unhappy porters to handle my bags, especially if they are dropped off early.

The amount is up to you - I am guessing around 2 Euro per bag?

JMO

Technically you don't have to but your chances of not having your bag "mishandled" (as in thrown around) are better if you tip them. Of course, it may make no difference, but I don't want unhappy porters to handle my bags, especially if they are dropped off early.

The amount is up to you - I am guessing around 2 Euro per bag?

JMO

Thanks - that makes sense!

Thanks - that makes sense!

Actually it doesn't make sense. A tip is supposed to be paid after the job is done and the job is done especially well. In this case, it appears you will be paying a bribe to the porters to not destroy your property. Sure the porters are paid by the port and that the port gets paid by Oceania for these services.

Really a shame we have to bribe people to take ordinary care of our luggage.

Actually it doesn't make sense. A tip is supposed to be paid after the job is done and the job is done especially well.

Actually, the word "TIP" is an acronym from "To Insure Promptness" - so perhaps there is some merit in tipping a porter before the job is completed. For a few dollars, it seems that the porter would need it more then me, and I would feel more at ease about my luggage!

Actually it doesn't make sense. A tip is supposed to be paid after the job is done and the job is done especially well. In this case, it appears you will be paying a bribe to the porters to not destroy your property. Sure the porters are paid by the port and that the port gets paid by Oceania for these services.

Really a shame we have to bribe people to take ordinary care of our luggage.

Don't you believe it!

After the shore-side Porters take your bags, you'll never see them again, as different people handle the luggage on the ship.

So, if you don't tip as they take the bags, then you'll never have another opportunity.

Actually, the word "TIP" is an acronym from "To Insure Promptness" - so perhaps there is some merit in tipping a porter before the job is completed. For a few dollars, it seems that the porter would need it more then me, and I would feel more at ease about my luggage!

Gee, I was told that "tips" was an acronym for "tourist input prevents starvation." :D

Thank you in advance.

If indeed you are on our cruise, go to our CCR Roll Call.

By Cruise Line

By Ship

By date: Sept 19-Bar to Lisbon

You will find a quite active roll call board for our cruise.

Sign in and talk to us.

jsl

1644488898_MosaicCruisePepin.jpg.8c08c21b6bbc8641e7378ef3cdf5a90b.jpg

My husband is 6'5" and was a football player, i.e. muscular. HE was jumped on Las Ramblas by five gentlemen who tried to snatch an empty (except water) tote.

From other sights I saw, I am very wary of Barcelona.

It would definitely be a good idea to tip the porters, but if you don't have a tag noting your stateroom number, it would be iffy. If you take this chance, watch them put it on a luggage cart, not just leave them at the curb.

What you have in mind is not something that I personally would do.

My husband is 6'5" and was a football player, i.e. muscular. HE was jumped on Las Ramblas by five gentlemen who tried to snatch an empty (except water) tote.

You are being too nice a generous. I would not call them gentlemen - more like thugs :)

Yes, Barcelona can be tricky, but she is beautiful.

It would definitely be a good idea to tip the porters, but if you don't have a tag noting your stateroom number, it would be iffy. If you take this chance, watch them put it on a luggage cart, not just leave them at the curb.

Even if you don't know your cabin number before you leave for the Cruise, which is unusual in itself, the Porters will have access to a Manifest of cabin assignments.

If you don't have the pre-printed labels which are typically sent to passengers six weeks ahead; You'll be asked to fill out luggage tags before the Porters take custody of your things, and if I were you, I'd check in right away, so that when you return to the Ship, you'll be able to walk directly onboard.

105426.jpg

I recently took the July 5 Baltic cruise on the Marina. I read the messages from the previous sailing and my daughter and I met a group of passengers disembarking from the ship. We were able to drop off our luggage, which had tags with cabin #s supplied by Oceania, at 9:30 a.m. I tipped the porters and the luggage was in our cabin when we arrived back at the ship later in the day.

Bonnie

In Auckland last year we drove to pier at 11, dropped our luggage with the porters who loaded it onto a cart, dropped off car, and went to lunch at the tower with a friend who was in Auckland on business. Easy peasy. There was a bit of a line for actual checkin, so we checked in later with no wait at all.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Barcelona is very easy! The ship will dock in the Las Ramblas docks! Basically you can walk from there in 5 minutes right into the city center! Also right in front the terminal is a stop for the hop on hop off tour!

The R-ships usually dock at the World Trade Centre at the foot of Las Ramblas (agree this is such a convenient location) but the OP is on Riviera. I believe it usually docks at the main terminal along with the other 'larger' ships. I have read (on CC) that O-class vessels would be able to dock at the WTC but have no first-hand experience with that.

We just received the “Blue Book” for our Riviera cruise sailing from Barcelona on September 19th, 2013 with the following Embarkation Port Information:

“Terminal Name: Muella De Adosado Terminal A, B or C

Ships location within the terminal is subject to change at the sole discretion of the port authority without notice.”

Here is a link to the port website:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/barcelona-cruise-port.html#barcelonaCruiseTerminalsMap

Cheers,

Don

The R-ships usually dock at the World Trade Centre at the foot of Las Ramblas (agree this is such a convenient location) but the OP is on Riviera. I believe it usually docks at the main terminal along with the other 'larger' ships. I have read (on CC) that O-class vessels would be able to dock at the WTC but have no first-hand experience with that.

Agree. We've docked at both locations - WTC with R ships and the main terminal with Marina.

The former is very convenieint and easily walkable to the Ramblas, the latter is a shuttle port (IMO).

Archived