cincinnati go pittsburgh, aug 5 to 10

hondorner

We're in Cincinnati now, arrived yesterday and stayed at the Hilton Netherlands Plaza. Checked in and got our dining assignment this morning, just had Cincinnati chili onspaghetti for lunch, sitting at the Fountain Plaza enjoying free Wifi. Taking the Steamcoach to the boat at 3pm, sailing at 7:30 pm. Everything is working smoothly. More as we progress up the river...

Any good points of interest or ice cream stops please report LOL

Lyn

Don't miss either Greater's, with several locations around Cincinnati, or Aglamesis'. Greater's has one shop in the heart of downtown Cincy at Fountain Square. The other ice cream/candy store is Aglamesis' with two locations in town, one in Oakley and the other in Montgomery. Both companies are family owned and have their loyal partisans here in the Queen City.

Don't miss either Greater's, with several locations around Cincinnati, or Aglamesis'. Greater's has one shop in the heart of downtown Cincy at Fountain Square. The other ice cream/candy store is Aglamesis' with two locations in town, one in Oakley and the other in Montgomery. Both companies are family owned and have their loyal partisans here in the Queen City.

Oh too bad ..we are heading right to the airport after our cruise

Maybe will need a road trip down that way ;)

How was your trip down the beautiful Ohio? I enjoyed the trip to the Iron City, but the dinning room staff and those in the Purser's Office still need improvement.

We board on the 10th & Don just got on today

We did get Graeters ice cram - delicious - and Cincinnati chili at Skyline Chili, am hooked on it!

Boarding was painless, luggage waiting in cabin. Our muster station is right outside our door (401, next to the chart room). Table for 2 at early sitting. Meal was great (scallops, braised beef short ribs), they tried very hard at service, ultimately OK, longish wait between appetizer and soup, obviously due to being short handed, worked out when others pitched in. Our server simply had too many tables.

Show was fantastic, bluegrass, Storefront Congregation - banjo, bass, guitar and the best mandolin player I've witnessed. Comfortable night. Betsy is losing her voice and decided to stsy in bed, I'm having breakfast in main dining room, casual Front Porch is crowded.

In Maysville untail 1 pm, going to ride the hop on hop off bus. Riverlorian Travis talk this afternoon.

Absolutely no disappointments.

Lyn, We had breakfast with Cruise Director Kasey (you'll recognize her - she's very pregnant :)) and told he you were coming...But I don't thing I ever learned your last name. Howevef, Lyn with just one n is somewhat unusual, so she should be able to find you.

Lyn, We had breakfast with Cruise Director Kasey (you'll recognize her - she's very pregnant :)) and told he you were coming...But I don't thing I ever learned your last name. Howevef, Lyn with just one n is somewhat unusual, so she should be able to find you.

LOL

I doubt she will find me

In any case any news on whether they will have open seating or are you stuck with the same tablemates :confused:

Dinner was much smoother last night, service was all that could be expected. The show was the Juggarnaut Jug Band, thorougly enjoyable..Maysville is a gorgeous little town, everything seems freshly painted or cleaned. Don't miss the museum with the minatures.

In Point Pleasant today; waiting to go ashore.

Dinner was much smoother last night, service was all that could be expected. The show was the Juggarnaut Jug Band, thorougly enjoyable..Maysville is a gorgeous little town, everything seems freshly painted or cleaned. Don't miss the museum with the minatures.

In Point Pleasant today; waiting to go ashore.

Enjoy the day

Thanks for the info ..I think we have the same band next week

Lynda

LOL

I doubt she will find me

In any case any news on whether they will have open seating or are you stuck with the same tablemates :confused:

I spelled her name wrong, it's Casey Kilroy. Tell her "hi" from Don and Betsy.

They have ot changed the dining rules. We solved it by asking for a table for 2. When you check in, generally after breakfast, you will next visit the maitre 'd, Michael, to get your dining assignment. We were not near the front of the line, but there were still 2 tops available. We have early sitting. However, I heard the boat is not full for your sailing, so they plan just one sitting and one show.

Marietta today, nice town. BBQ lunch, past guest party this afternoon.

Wheeling, WV today. Not much to see. Gray, overcast, started to rain, we rode HO HO bjs then came back to boat. Jazz lunch, Riverlorian lecture, Captain's farewell party, then we dine with Captain Boyle tonight. Currently doing a laundry, now two new stacked washers and dryers, still complimentary.

Depart Pittsburgh tomorrow, too short a cruise. May be a while before we book again as we have Around the World in 180 Days aboard Oceania Insignia in Jan, 2015.

Don ..I found Casey ..she just happened to be in the gift shop as we were chatting with the lady there...

She left the ship in Cincinnati to go home for the arrival of her baby

We had a good time & the food was very good unfortunately Mike caught a head cold that was making the rounds

The ship was not very full so they had 1 seating, open dining which worked out well but I think most people tended to eat in the Front Porch

I think they said 220 pax ...some were staying on until St Louis about 100 disembarking in CIN & 70 embarking

only negative for us was the thin walls in the cabins, some people tend to like to watch tv very late or very early in the morning ;)

hope you have a safe trip home

Lyn

Archived