Window/Portholes Problem - please help

mscott

Okay, so I booked my mother a category D (outside) guaranty for an upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise. She just got an assignment of an aft cabin on Riviera (category C, the highest outside cabin category). Here’s my problem, after doing a search on this board, I discovered that this particular cabin, does not have a picture window, but 2 portholes (I confirmed this was true with Princess). But we got the cabin based on info from Princess’ website, which says:

“Twin beds that make up into a queen-size bed. Picture window (categories E-G obstructed). Refrigerator and TV. Spacious closet. Bath with shower. Approximately 158 to 182 square feet.”

As you can see, not a word about portholes. So any advice out there? Had I known that portholes were an option, I would have booked an obstructed view with picture window for less money. The Princess rep says I have to have my TA call to make any changes. It seems to me that Princess should be obligated to live up to what their website says.

I don't wanna be whiney, but portholes, to me anyway, are a definite downgrade. Any advice out there?

You booked a category D, she got a category C. Picture windows were idenitifed as category E - G. So even if she got the category that you booked, she would not have had a picture window. It seems that you misread the information from Princess.

Okay, so I booked my mother a category D (outside) guaranty for an upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise. She just got an assignment of an aft cabin on Riviera (category C, the highest outside cabin category).

These are really cool cabins in a great location. I'm envious!

You booked a category D, she got a category C. Picture windows were idenitifed as category E - G. So even if she got the category that you booked, she would not have had a picture window. It seems that you misread the information from Princess.

I don't think that's what the line reads, it says outside rooms have picture windows, but categories E - G are obstructed. Maybe I'm reading it wrong? :confused:

I think you got a pretty good cabin.

Only time I regretted having a porthole was on the old Pacific Princess - the stewards kept covering the deadlights, due to sea conditions. Heck, I enjoyed seeing the ocean cover the portholes - just like looking into my mother's Bendix washing machine when I was a kid.

Only time I regretted having a porthole was on the old Pacific Princess - the stewards kept covering the deadlights, due to sea conditions. Heck, I enjoyed seeing the ocean cover the portholes - just like looking into my mother's Bendix washing machine when I was a kid.
If you check out the image on my post, that was taken from my porthole cabin on the Regal. :) I *LOVED* watching the waves outside!

We had the comparable cabin to this on Star Princess (A 747) - the 2 portholes were on the back wall behind the bed - they allowed daylight but you could really only see out of them if standing by the bed. We had been upgraded last minute from a very cheap i/s cabin so we were thrilled to have windows. Also the location of the cabin was very handy to the aft pool area and the hallway to our cabin was very quiet and private due to the limited # of cabins in that area. We did have lots of cabin noise one night due to the island night party in the aft area but we decided to go out and join the party! Overall - good cabin but you are not getting large picture windows....

If you have not paid the cruise in full and you really don't want the portholes, call Princess and change the room. My parents have had porthole rooms before and loved them. They asked the room steward to open the windows for them, and they did. This was on RCCL.

Since I posted and talked to my TA, Princess graciously moved my mother to an outside, and relatively midship cabin (cat. D) on Plaza - which really does have a picture window. I know it's the lowest passenger deck, but I think that's going to be fine. So I gotta say: kudos to Princess for being so accomodating. And thanks for all your helpful replies.

Does anyone know why portholes are used for these particular cabins rather than full windows?

This is an aft cabin on one of the top decks. Also, in this location, it's unlikely there would be any WAVES crossing in front!

Why no window? Perhaps by design?

Since I posted and talked to my TA, Princess graciously moved my mother to an outside, and relatively midship cabin (cat. D) on Plaza - which really does have a picture window. I know it's the lowest passenger deck, but I think that's going to be fine. So I gotta say: kudos to Princess for being so accomodating. And thanks for all your helpful replies.

I think she will be very pleased with that cabin. Very QUIET location. Little foot traffic. Front elevators not as heavily used. Mid-ship and low will have much less movement. Almost no ship vibration. nice close up view of water. I had an inside across from those on a similar ship (Sapphire) and loved it. Who would have thought so close to the atrium (plaza) would be so quiet?

What exactly are deadlights please?

QUOTE=Druke I]I think you got a pretty good cabin.

Archived