Formal Wear forbidden

Beep beep***>>>>>Sarcasm Ahead

How about on "formal night" the cruise line devote a spot for those of us that do not wish to partake in the evening gown portion of the night.

I suggest that Johnny Rockets and the sports court be off limits to anyone dressed in formal wear so that their outfits do not affect my laid back casual vacation.

If they choose to play mini golf or dine at JR's, they can chose to dress appropriately.

:-)

They do.

It's called the Windjammer.

The specialty restaurants require smart casual, but that's not written in stone, just on their website.

So, RCCL offers more non formal than formal venues, yet it's still a problem.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't understand what the big deal is all about. Formal attire is just the suggested attire for that evening. If you aren't into it, fine. It's not like anyone is banned from specific area's of the ship because you aren't in a suit or a tuxedo. The MDR and all the restaurants are still open to those who are not in formal attire. It's a vacation, enjoy your cruise.

So if we choose not to dress formally on formal nights we should be banished from all public spaces? Sent to our room like naughty children?

Balderdash.

We don't care a fig about dressing up. I don't need to lug a Vanna White glitter gown nor a tux or suit and tie. Prom night for us was long ago and we don't need to recapture those memories.

Neither do we go to the MDR on those nights. We slum quite happily in the buffet or go slightly dressy to a specialty. (Smart casual means what . . . Is there also a dumb casual?)

So while we do not choose to dress formally ourselves, we respect you if you choose that and even stay out of your fancy dining room that night. Can't the dresser-uppers grant us the same courtesy instead of banning us to our cabin?

So if we choose not to dress formally on formal nights we should be banished from all public spaces? Sent to our room like naughty children?

Balderdash.

We don't care a fig about dressing up. I don't need to lug a Vanna White glitter gown nor a tux or suit and tie. Prom night for us was long ago and we don't need to recapture those memories.

Neither do we go to the MDR on those nights. We slum quite happily in the buffet or go slightly dressy to a specialty. (Smart casual means what . . . Is there also a dumb casual?)

So while we do not choose to dress formally ourselves, we respect you if you choose that and even stay out of your fancy dining room that night. Can't the dresser-uppers grant us the same courtesy instead of banning us to our cabin?

You should go to the MDR on any night you like. Their is no reason to eat in the Windjammer unless you want to.

So flip flops and shorts can be denied entrance to the MDR but when jokingly flipping the model around people are upset to have one venue devoted to flip flop wearers with no formal wear allowed?

Interesting.

Flip flops and shorts are not denied entrance to MDR on Carnival Victory for formal nights.

(Smart casual means what . . . Is there also a dumb casual?)

This is from RCCL's website.

"Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

con_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

con_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

So I guess dumb casual is what you wear when you don't read the provided info and are surprised.

@Ziggypup - enjoyed your responses. We are thinking of taking our first RCI cruise next October...we are used to "country club casual" no formal whatsoever. Thank you for pointing out that we would not be precluded from dining where ever we would like. I think it's great that folks want to get dressed up - I love seeing the gowns etc...but it's not for me and it's definately not for my husband. Sports jackets w/khakis is his "go to outfit." If the directive from RCI is "suggested attire" then that's fine. We will be out and about on suggested formal nights - enjoying our vacation.

In a way I see what the op is trying to point out. There have been times where we did not want to dress for formal night and went to the windjammer for dinner. However when walking around the promenade etc. we felt we were being looked down upon by the dressed up guests.

They do.

It's called the Windjammer.

The specialty restaurants require smart casual, but that's not written in stone, just on their website.

So, RCCL offers more non formal than formal venues, yet it's still a problem.

I think she's looking for a venue that would require casual wear. I don't think they enforce casual attire in the Windjammer. :D

Love it....brilliant!!!!!

Is that a carpet design? or were you just plugging everything into the one outlet available?;)

Kathy

Sorry - I meant to copy the picture but didn't do it right. It was MaureenCruiser's post that interested me. I apologize to bbgirl.

@Ziggypup - enjoyed your responses. We are thinking of taking our first RCI cruise next October...we are used to "country club casual" no formal whatsoever. Thank you for pointing out that we would not be precluded from dining where ever we would like. I think it's great that folks want to get dressed up - I love seeing the gowns etc...but it's not for me and it's definately not for my husband. Sports jackets w/khakis is his "go to outfit." If the directive from RCI is "suggested attire" then that's fine. We will be out and about on suggested formal nights - enjoying our vacation.

Well, I hope you give Royal Carribean a shot. I use to really enjoy Formal nights. But on my last 2 cruises I took a break from the tuxedo's and just went with a sport jacket and a open collar shirt. The tuxedo routine was just getting a little old for me. How many pictures of myself in a tuxedo do I really need.....lol. It only allows me to see how much more gray my mustache has gotten from the previous year.

Granted, I don't sit around counting heads. But my guess is less than 20% of the passengers really jazz it up on formal nights.

In my humble opinion............as long as you look neat and presentable, all will be good.

Enjoy your cruise

Flip flops and shorts are not denied entrance to MDR on Carnival Victory for formal nights.

Not true on all Carnival ships. We were on the little Fascination in Jan and in April and no one was allowed in the MDR on Elegant night in shorts.

We are not into the tux/gowns either, but we did dress nicely and had no problem.

In a way I see what the op is trying to point out. There have been times where we did not want to dress for formal night and went to the windjammer for dinner. However when walking around the promenade etc. we felt we were being looked down upon by the dressed up guests.

A wise man once told me "ask yourself what makes you think you are so important that people are looking at you? If you are that important, then you are right, they are looking at you." My wife and I like to dress up. I don't give a flip if you do or don't. I think that if you walk around on Formal Night thinking you are being "looked down upon," then you seem to be concerned you are underdressed. That's your problem. Lots of people don't dress for Formal Night. You show the dignity and respect to the evening by going to the Windjammer. That is very admirable. Don't worry about the rest if the ship. You have honored Formal Night.

On a serious note, I do think that people do take this formal thing a bit too far. Most people don't, but the some that do can make you feel really uncomfortable. When my DH was alive we ALWAYS dressed to the nines on formal night. He owned his own tux and lots of cummerbunds. However the last five years of my husbands life he was totally wheel chair bound and his left leg was in a contraption that made wearing pants except for extra large Bermuda shorts impossible. And there were still people who scowled at us when we were at Chops or in the MDR (even when he wore a nice jacket and tie). Some even made comments.

Way out of line!

The only time I have seen photos with the captain available is on formal night in the Royal Promenade.

So, I ate in the windjammer in my shorts and flip flops, can I stand in line to capture my photo with the captain? Or is that taboo?

The only time I have seen photos with the captain available is on formal night in the Royal Promenade.

So, I ate in the windjammer in my shorts and flip flops, can I stand in line to capture my photo with the captain? Or is that taboo?

Who would want to do this? "Here's a picture of me in my shorts and flip-flops, with the captain of the ship in his formal dress uniform! Don't I look ridiculous?"

Seriously, I have no problem with people wanting to be casual on a cruise. But who would actually WANT to visit a "formal" cocktail reception in shorts and a t-shirt? I'd feel like a complete tool if I did that...

Archived