cruising during the holidays - what to expect

Suite Heart

We are booked to sail December 22, 2013 through January 5, 2014 on the Dawn - Western Med.

We have never sailed during a major holiday. Except for decorations, will the cruise be the usual great time? Anything out of the ordinary we should expect? Would anyone that has experienced this please tell me if there will be a ton of children on board? :eek: (Hopefully, they are all in Florida visiting grandma.)

Also, did you have any problem getting shore excursions? Our PCC says no problem, but I'd love to hear from someone who has "been there, done that."

Thanks!!

We are booked to sail December 22, 2013 through January 5, 2014 on the Dawn - Western Med.

We have never sailed during a major holiday. Except for decorations, will the cruise be the usual great time? Anything out of the ordinary we should expect? Would anyone that has experienced this please tell me if there will be a ton of children on board? :eek: (Hopefully, they are all in Florida visiting grandma.)

Also, did you have any problem getting shore excursions? Our PCC says no problem, but I'd love to hear from someone who has "been there, done that."

Thanks!!

I've done it, but not on the Dawn, on HAL in 2007 and on QM2 in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Yes there are a lot of decorations on the ship, and on both ships it was quite festive, QM2 does Christmas very, very well though, better than HAL IMO.

As for children, there were a lot of children on board on the QM2, though in 2011, there seemed to be more teenagers. Not a lot of children on HAL though.

I had a great time, New Years Eve was great on both ships, there was a big party and we counted down to the new year; usually they have parties all over the ship.

One thing I did notice, the ships were always full during the holidays, so that may be an issue with excursions, though my mom and I didn't bother with them, as we'd been to all the islands many times.

Thanks!!

We cruised on the Spirit for Christmas 2010 and it was beautifully and tastefully decorated.

There were clergy on board and appropriate services were held. I know there were at least two Protestant ministers and a priest. Perhaps it's a reward for the clergy to be assigned to a cruise ship for Christmas!

Christmas music was played almost continuously. It was not offensive, but personally not always to my taste.

Santa did arrive by sleigh on Christmas morning with goodies for all the children. We did not see this, but was told it was great and the children had a great time. Compared to other cruises, I found there were fewer children and the Spirit was booked to capacity.

My children (college age) did an excursion in Belize and had no problem booking, but the tour was full. Tenders in Belize were efficient and busy.

On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day lots of holiday foods were served along with the regular choices and everything was very good.

The mood of the passengers seemed festive and happy. Not too many hardcore party animals.

The crew was in a festive mood too and some wore Santa hats or other holiday items. Heard lots of "Ho Ho Ho" from crew members. Perhaps holiday cruisers tip better, I know we did.

We booked our cruise in June and got a very good price for two connecting balcony cabins. As time went by the prices really did increase so I think we did well.

Hope you enjoy the holidays and have a wonderful cruise!

We did the HAL Holiday cruise for Christmas 2010 on the Western Mexican coast itinerary. We were told that of about 2200 passengers 800 were children. They were everywhere and forget trying to eat in the MDR before 7:30 pm every night they run around like crazy. I love kids but only if they are mine or my grandchildren. Never again will we cruise over any holiday, just too many unruly unsupervised and misbehaving kids for my taste.:eek:

Thanks!!

I have done a longer sailing over the Holidays and for that reason I disagree with some of the other posters. The length of your cruise would make it a difficult cruise for most American young families to go over the limited Christmas break.

Longer cruises in general do not lend themselves to trips for young families. Many people with school ageed children can not afford to take the 16 or 17 days off from work that would be needed to complete such a cruise. And most importantly most school children must be back in school by the 2 of January. So, will there be kids, sure there will be plenty, but there will not be as many as some might think.

I have done a longer sailing over the Holidays and for that reason I disagree with some of the other posters. The length of your cruise would make it a difficult cruise for most American young families to go over the limited Christmas break.

Longer cruises in general do not lend themselves to trips for young families. Many people with school ageed children can not afford to take the 16 or 17 days off from work that would be needed to complete such a cruise. And most importantly most school children must be back in school by the 2 of January. So, will there be kids, sure there will be plenty, but there will not be as many as some might think.

I kind of mis-stated the length of our cruise. It is a 7-day, but we're doing a back-to-back. So we might get a reprieve from kids/crowds on the second leg of the cruise?

Except the Dawn is doing 7 day cruises - one on the 22nd and one on the 29th ending on 1/5. OP is then doing a B2B and both segments will be crazy loaded with kids for the Holiday cruises.

edit: OP responded right before me. The 2nd week will still have many kids out from school as I believe most will have off beginning 12/21 and return 1/6.

Thanks!!

We will be on with you on your last week and are very excited to do New Years on a ship. Only other holiday experience was Thanksgiving, but since we were in Europe it was hardly recognized.

Join the roll call if interested!

Thanks!!

I'm sorry I thought we were talking about a 14 day western med cruise, and based on that I didn't feel there would be as many kids as a normal holiday cruise. Now that I know you are doing a back to back and it is Caribbean I retract all of my previous statements:

Thanks!!

I did a 15 day Hawaiian cruise out of LA over Christmas/New Year's some time ago. Sorry if this sounds more like a plug than anything else, but you can read about it in my blog. I'm bleary eyed and the thought of retyping it is making them cross as well! LOL Have a GREAT cruise!

:eek: EEEEK!

The cruise we are taking is the 7-day Western CARIBBEAN, doing it back to back, Dec 22-Jan 5 RT Tampa.

Last November we did the Western MEDITERRANEAN thing on the Jade.

I think I've got it right, finally!:D

Yep, Ultimate Beverage Package, here I come!

Hi

we did the Pearl over the period you are sailing in 2010 and the Spirit the following christmas and new year

Pearl-

Carols around the tree in the atrium on xmas eve

holiday show in the theatre

santa and mes claus giving out a present to every child upto 18

Spirit-

gingerbread decorations in the atrium

Both

Heavily decorated

New years eve - 5 different parties over the ship with a big deck party with ice carvings and free champagne - officers on deck for strike of midnight to throw the ice carving into the pool

Hot tubs filled with ice and champagne bottles

Yes, more kids on board but they have so much to do in the kids clubs and its great to see families see in christmas and new year together

You will likely have more kids on your second leg of your B2B. As a former teacher, I can tell you that parents will allow their children to miss school to cruise and most likely, this sailing would fit in just perfectly for families who want to celebrate Christmas at home and then do that last week. They would get home in time for school anyway. So, hope you like LOTS of kids!

We normally cruise one of the two first weeks of Dec. Last year we had 90 kids on a 2300 passenger ship. The following week had 900 kids booked and the week after had 950. Almost half of the capacity was children. The crew was not to excited to have to deal with it.

The Christmas decorations and spirit start at Thanksgiving and ramp up from there. Go enjoy!!!

Archived