If you return through MCO on a Sunday, get there at least 3-4 hours early!

sherezada

I don't know why this didn't occur to me before our trip, but with 3 major cruises arriving on the same day (plus the usual Disney/Universal tourists), EVERY SINGLE LINE at the airport is kilometric! The "already-checked-in-just-dropping-off bags" lines, the full service lines...even the so-called "express lines" (which you have to pay extra for).

Also keep in mind that the trip from Port Canaveral to MCO is at least 45 mins, so account for that on your plans as well. We accounted for this, but not for the airport lines.

Needless to say we missed our flight, had to pay extra to secure seats on the next one, and wasted endless hours at the airport with two little kids.

You've been advised. I wish cruise lines would include this on their pre-cruise information documents.

11:45 am.

We got off the ship at 8 am. One of our bags took 20 mins to show up at the port. We then rented a car and drove to the airport. We got there at around 10 am. By the time we actually got to someone who could help us, they couldn't do anything because the flight was already closed in the system.

We had to pay $50 extra p/p to secure seats in the next flight at 4pm. That's 5 hours wandering around the airport with a 3.5 year-old and an 15-month old.

11:45 am.

We got off the ship at 8 am. One of our bags took 20 mins to show up at the port. We then rented a car and drove to the airport. We got there at around 10 am. By the time we actually got to someone who could help us, they couldn't do anything because the flight was already closed in the system.

We had to pay $50 extra p/p to secure seats in the next flight at 4pm. That's 5 hours wandering around the airport with a 3.5 year-old and an 15-month old.

Sorry about your bad experience; I would never rent a car with a flight that early -- the delays associated with car pick-up, gas stops, and drop off make it only an option for those with late afternoon or evening flights.

Better luck next time. :)

I have rented a car for a Sunday after cruise from Port Canveral to MCO. My flight is 2:15, and thought we would have some "extra time" for goofing off..........doesn't sound like that will be the case. Does it always take three or four hours to get to a gate on Sunday in MCO???:( Are some rental agencies better for car rental from Port Canveral??

I have rented a car for a Sunday after cruise from Port Canveral to MCO. My flight is 2:15, and thought we would have some "extra time" for goofing off..........doesn't sound like that will be the case. Does it always take three or four hours to get to a gate on Sunday in MCO???:( Are some rental agencies better for car rental from Port Canveral??

Sunday is a pretty busy day at MCO. It is a big turnover day of people ending cruises, Disney vacations, and other vacations. Lately MCO has been having long wait times to get through TSA screening. You should have no problem making a 2:15pm flight but you are correct in that you will not have a lot of time to "goof off".

Am I missing something here? MCO is a massive international airport. I'd never dick around with a flight before noon on a Saturday or Sunday. It's always packed and very busy.

Sorry to the OP. It could have cost you a lot more.

I don't know why this didn't occur to me before our trip, but with 3 major cruises arriving on the same day (plus the usual Disney/Universal tourists), EVERY SINGLE LINE at the airport is kilometric! The "already-checked-in-just-dropping-off bags" lines, the full service lines...even the so-called "express lines" (which you have to pay extra for).

Also keep in mind that the trip from Port Canaveral to MCO is at least 45 mins, so account for that on your plans as well. We accounted for this, but not for the airport lines.

Needless to say we missed our flight, had to pay extra to secure seats on the next one, and wasted endless hours at the airport with two little kids.

You've been advised. I wish cruise lines would include this on their pre-cruise information documents.

Thanks for the information. I try to avoid the large tourist destinations (i.e. Orlando) during the summer because of the crowds. You can also search Cruisett.com to see how many ships will be in port as well as the number of passengers disembarking/embarking.

Thanks for the information. I try to avoid the large tourist destinations (i.e. Orlando) during the summer because of the crowds. You can also search Cruisett.com to see how many ships will be in port as well as the number of passengers disembarking/embarking.

Ok, question for you. I know where to find the number of ships in port, where do you go to find the number disembarking? Thanks. :):)

First, I am a super planner so I look at details that others may think aren't important. I must explain that I'm estimating the number of people disembarking. In CruiseTT, under the column "Port Load" will give you a good estimate of the total number of people that are/were on the ship. Not exact science but a good estimate. For example, The day I return, the port load is only 5,000. if I see there are 3 large ships in port (i.e. Oct. 6th - 10,000+), my guess is that my disembarkation may take a little longer.

First, I am a super planner so I look at details that others may think aren't important. I must explain that I'm estimating the number of people disembarking. In CruiseTT, under the column "Port Load" will give you a good estimate of the total number of people that are/were on the ship. Not exact science but a good estimate. For example, The day I return, the port load is only 5,000. if I see there are 3 large ships in port (i.e. Oct. 6th - 10,000+), my guess is that my disembarkation may take a little longer.

Thank you

I've used the Disney Magical Express a couple of times recently. For both of them, the bus dropped me at the airport three hours before my flight. One flight was a Thursday about 7pm, the other was a Friday late afternoon.

For th Friday one, I think I waited in the TSA line for about 90 minutes. Yes, I was getting nervous by the time I finally got up there!

Archived