If cruises were gone, what would you be doing

I would try all-inclusive resorts -- Bahamas or Caribbean to start. That is where we have cruised. As a matter of fact, after my first cruise, I thought I would prefer resort vacations, to get to know one place better. But we are still cruising, and I still love it, so the resorts will have to wait!

If I couldn't cruise, I'd rent a beach house directly on the ocean and stay the entire summer, if possible. I did it once for a month, down in Galveston, TX, and it was HEAVEN!!

If I ever won the lottery, I'd buy a beach house and wouldn't need to cruise since I'd be on vacation 365/yr with the ocean as my backyard.

Aaaahhhhh, a girl can always dream!

I too would travel by rail across country.

My sister in law did a cross country train ride. You think cabins on a ship are small? Think again. Plus decent berths cost way more than ship cabins.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I go to Vegas twice a year for a week. Wonderful

Hawaii, every other year. We were to go next year again, but too many grand kids graduation and a nephew and niece getting married.

My favorite vacation use to be to get a hotel on Clearwater Beach. My wife took the car keys, we enjoyed that wonderful beach and the eateries and was more relaxed that anything else ever gave us.

Empire Builder is how I'm getting to Seattle in a couple weeks. It's like a mini vacation on each end of my vacation.

I love that train and route. I traveled it in the 60's when Great Northern owned it, between Minneapolis and Seattle. My favorite was waking up in the morning (Westbound) in the Cascades with the forests glistening from overnight moisture. I hope that scene is replicated for you, in some fashion.:)

I've stayed at the Animal Kingdom Resort at Walt Disney World for five nights and loved it. I'd likely do that again, if cruising no longer existed.

I also love the train idea. It seems like it would be a lovely way to travel. There's a trip that goes from Chicago to Memphis to New Orleans that sounds interesting.

Thankfully, cruising will continue onward. I've been 3 times so far and I get very excited when planning a cruise. I really look forward to it.

Regards,

What we've been doing the past few years...an Oceanfront home rental on the Outer Banks (Hatteras Island). One week, all our kids and grandkids...beach, pool, ocean....each couple takes a night to cook dinner (so you are only on the hook for one dinner per week), a night or two out and then back home.

However, now that DH got a kidney transplant, we are planning our cruise (just the two of us) for next spring and the whole family on the Quantum in the summer of 2015. Cannot wait to get back to cruising.

My sister in law did a cross country train ride. You think cabins on a ship are small? Think again. Plus decent berths cost way more than ship cabins.

On the plus side, rail berth means bringing your own spirits is okay. Best way to spend time on land is to watch mountains slide past a compartment window with an iced rum in one hand and a book in the other.

On the plus side, rail berth means bringing your own spirits is okay. Best way to spend time on land is to watch mountains slide past a compartment window with an iced rum in one hand and a book in the other.

Oh that does sound good.

I love that train and route. I traveled it in the 60's when Great Northern owned it, between Minneapolis and Seattle. My favorite was waking up in the morning (Westbound) in the Cascades with the forests glistening from overnight moisture. I hope that scene is replicated for you, in some fashion.:)

Cascades are still there. :D And yes breakfast watching the river tumble past the tracks is excellent. I have some CruiseCritic-level of shenanigans to deal with westbound, though. Due to availability, there wasn't a roomette all the way to Seattle from here. There was a roomette on the Spokane to Seattle part, and on the Portland-bound sleeper up to Spokane. So I "change trains" (or really, cars) in Spokane. I'm just going to go talk to the other car's attendant in eastern Montana or something and see if we can move rooms earlier than the 1:40 AM scheduled stop since it's probably people getting off at Glacier National Park or something.

I go to Vegas twice a year for a week. Wonderful

Hawaii, every other year. We were to go next year again, but too many grand kids graduation and a nephew and niece getting married.

My favorite vacation use to be to get a hotel on Clearwater Beach. My wife took the car keys, we enjoyed that wonderful beach and the eateries and was more relaxed that anything else ever gave us.

Is the place you "used to" stay still in existence, and still as nice? If so, care to share which place it is? We are looking for a family reunion spot in FL and you make this one sound perfect!

I like cruising well enough but it doesn't compare with longer, immersion-type land vacations, eco-volunteerism, climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, reading the 100 greatest books, etc.

Have you climbed Kilamanjaro and read the 100 greatest books?

If not, how do you know it does not compare? ;)

Archived