Allowed to Change Guarantee Room?

I'm looking at booking an ocean view guarantee room on a RCL cruise next March on the Grandeur. I'm a little nervous at the guarantee room though because I don't want to get stuck in a "bad" room (not that I'd know as I'm a virgin to cruising). I've done a lot of reading here on CC and found there are definitely better places to be than others. My question I guess is has anyone ever had an issue where they couldn't get a room changes after booking guarantee if they got a room they were unhappy with? Also would it make a difference if I'd book through a TA or directly through RCL? Maybe they'd be more willing to change it if I booked direct? Finally ARE there "bad" ocean view rooms on this ship, or shouldn't I be worried?

If you booked with RCI, you can look and see what other cabins in that category are available and say you'd prefer number ####. This is only if you are in the US, I got my head chopped off for posting this a few weeks ago by our friends overseas! :D The biggest thing I look for is what is over me, you only want other cabins, not the dining room or other crowded venues. If you are worried about seasickness, lower and in the middle are best. Also, the walk from the front to the back can be long if you are doing it everytime you want to eat. Try for the middle!

We always take a guarantee when available. I just can't justify paying more for essentially the same room. We've stayed all over the ship...upper decks, lower decks, forward, amidships, aft...the rooms all look the same. Some people say that they are prone to seasickness and can only stay in amidships rooms....but I don't really buy that, as a land-based vacation is more appropriate for the seasick-prone. We've never had a bad experience in a guarantee cabin, and I think the cruise lines know that they can milk a few extra dollars out of passengers who perceive some added benefit to paying more for the cabin next to yours.

BUT if they don't assign the cabin until much later (which can happen - I've had cabins assigned anywhere from two weeks after booking up until we've turned bags into the porters;)) there may be few choices left in your category. You need to be sure that you understand what a guarantee is. A guarantee means that they can assign you any cabin within the category specified at any time prior to boarding the ship. If you have concerns about where the cabin is going to be (motion sickness issues, mobility issues etc.) you are better off selecting the cabin you want to ensure your happiness:). JMHO.

Archived