Manhattan terminal procedures question

MarlboroBell

I think I've figured out the best way to deal with balancing the parking costs and convenience of the Manhattan port. I'd just like a reality check that says I can do what I think I can do.

On embarkation day: Drive to the port, drop off the bags. Drive right out of the port again and drop the family next door to go see the Space Shuttle. Take the car through the Lincoln Tunnel, park at Port Imperial, and take the boat back. Meet the family inside the Intrepid somewhere (basically just carrying daypacks) and then walk up to the terminal to check in when we're ready.

On disembarkation day: Walk off the ship an hour before our color is called. Walk down to Pier 79 (again just with my carry-on), take the boat across to Port Imperial, pick up the car, drive it back, and in the meantime the family comes off with the bags (with the help of a porter) and I just pick them up on 12th Avenue and drive straight home.

We're on the Breakaway, so this is all on Sunday mornings when traffic shouldn't be too bad; but is there something I'm missing that says that I can't do what I plan?

I know some people have reported doing what you mentioned, but there's one possible wrinkle...a family is supposed to clear customs together using a single customs declaration form, so in theory you can't disembark by yourself with the others disembarking later. What I can't say is if CBP actually enforces this.

A couple of other potential issues come to mind.

Although traffic is normally light on Sunday morning, you can never tell when an accident or other circumstances will cause a major delay in the Lincoln Tunnel. that could really throw a monkey wrench into your plans.

Also, by all reports you can't tell where the port workers will be allowing pick ups to be made. There have been numerous reports that passengers awaiting pick up after the cruise have been forced to cross 12th Ave. and wait at the corner of 12th Ave. and 48th St...but...this doesn't always happen...and there's no way to tell in advance.

After disembarking the Breakaway yesterday, we were forced to cross 12th Avenue - from reading these Boards I expected that. But coming from the Lincoln Tunnel, it will be an easy pickup on 12th Ave northbound.

My 2 cents on the OP's plan is that although it will save money on parking fees, it sounds like more of a hassle than it's worth. I often come up with ideas like that, and my wife will remind me that time is money!

Don't know how big your family is, but for what it's already costing to take a family on a cruise, for all that inconvenience vs the amount of savings, (don't forget, you're gonna' have to pay the tunnel toll if you park in NJ) I'd just bite the bullet and park at the pier. I would however arrive early, park and still all go tour the Intrepid.....it's a wonderful "pre-cruise" experience.

I think I've figured out the best way to deal with balancing the parking costs and convenience of the Manhattan port. I'd just like a reality check that says I can do what I think I can do.

On embarkation day: Drive to the port, drop off the bags. Drive right out of the port again and drop the family next door to go see the Space Shuttle. Take the car through the Lincoln Tunnel, park at Port Imperial, and take the boat back. Meet the family inside the Intrepid somewhere (basically just carrying daypacks) and then walk up to the terminal to check in when we're ready.

On disembarkation day: Walk off the ship an hour before our color is called. Walk down to Pier 79 (again just with my carry-on), take the boat across to Port Imperial, pick up the car, drive it back, and in the meantime the family comes off with the bags (with the help of a porter) and I just pick them up on 12th Avenue and drive straight home.

We're on the Breakaway, so this is all on Sunday mornings when traffic shouldn't be too bad; but is there something I'm missing that says that I can't do what I plan?

Sounds like a good plan....I'd check with the Intrepid to see if you can bring backpacks on the Intrepid. Because of security. I remember in Pearl Harbor you couldn't even bring a purse or any type of bag though the gate..

BTW, what is the date of your cruise? When we get off our cruise September 14th, we're thinking about walking down to pier 79 and taking the ferry over to the Sheraton in Weehawken.

I was wondering how the walk is, how far, and with luggage? Can you let us know when you return?

How much are you saving by doing this?

$115 or thereabouts.

It's $245 to park at the pier. It's $104 to park at Port Imperial. Add two $9 ferry crossings and $8.25 for the tunnel (with E-ZPass) and you get $130.25.

This is just one of many options I'm considering -- but saving $115 and barely impacting the rest of the family's vacation seems well worth the idea.

BTW, what is the date of your cruise? When we get off our cruise September 14th, we're thinking about walking down to pier 79 and taking the ferry over to the Sheraton in Weehawken.

We're going in November, but it's an easy straight-shot ten minute walk as long as you can roll your luggage.

Archived