Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

We emigrated from Cheshire ten years ago, we recently bought a holiday home back there three years ago. I must admit I do miss the UK, great country, great scenery but the weather!!!

I too have a passion for cooking, and now baking. On a couple off SS cruises I volunteered for the " ready steady cook " on a sailing day, great fun.

Have to say we do love SS, never sailed on any other cruise line, maybe we should try, would we be disappointed though? :confused:

We emigrated from Cheshire ten years ago, we recently bought a holiday home back there three years ago. I must admit I do miss the UK, great country, great scenery but the weather!!!

I too have a passion for cooking, and now baking. On a couple off SS cruises I volunteered for the " ready steady cook " on a sailing day, great fun.

Have to say we do love SS, never sailed on any other cruise line, maybe we should try, would we be disappointed though? :confused:

What made you move to Cyprus? You may have seen upthread I have recently bought a Cypriot BBQ ..... :D

To be honest if you love SS why change?

SS, You are right why change a good thing?

I am a retired Police Officer, lucky to retire at 51yrs of age. We used to watch a TV program, a place in the sun, that's what prompted us to move abroad. We chose cyprus because of the slow pace of life, low cost of living and of course the sun. To wake up each morning with the sun shining certainly gets you off on the right foot.

Looking forward to our next cruise in November, 17 days down the Amazon. :)

SS, You are right why change a good thing?

I am a retired Police Officer, lucky to retire at 51yrs of age. We used to watch a TV program, a place in the sun, that's what prompted us to move abroad. We chose cyprus because of the slow pace of life, low cost of living and of course the sun. To wake up each morning with the sun shining certainly gets you off on the right foot.

Looking forward to our next cruise in November, 17 days down the Amazon. :)

I've never been to Northern Cyprus, but had considered buying around Pafos/Coral bay/Peyia .. but we had second thoughts. Obviously a base back in Cheshire indicates yearnings .... any regrets about the permanent move? Any concerns about the future? I understand the weather attraction however ....

:)

No where is perfect. North cyprus is only recognized by Turkey, so the large companies and conglomerates stear clear however, life is good, no concerns or regrets so far. We are not saying this will be our last resting place, never say never.

The South as you know has suffered because of the Euro crisis, spoke to a guy recently who said prices have shot up in the last couple of years.

No where is perfect. North cyprus is only recognized by Turkey, so the large companies and conglomerates stear clear however, life is good, no concerns or regrets so far. We are not saying this will be our last resting place, never say never.

The South as you know has suffered because of the Euro crisis, spoke to a guy recently who said prices have shot up in the last couple of years.

Actually, the prices south are still pretty low. Much lower than the peaks. As you know the serious cash jumped ship a few hours and days before the banks stuffed the population. It is much more affordable now than it has been. There's also a lot of stuff at incredibly low long-term rental. We were thinking of renting for the whole of winter and just spend the odd week or two there. It sort of makes sense.

How are you coping with such an early retirement from such a whole-life consuming occupation? It's tough enough retiring at normal age from dare I say a "normal" job, but retiring from the police to Northern Cyprus at such a young age strikes me as being a very very demanding transition. Are you genuinely sufficiently occupied?

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
ipad spelling ..

I didn't tell the whole story. My area of expertise was in Police Training. I have spent the past 10 years working in Police academies in war torn countries such as Afghanistan, Kosovo, Iraq, Albania, China, Kiev, Dubai, Jordan to name a few.

Fed up with hotels, flying, airports, and packing. Now enjoying the quiet life, BBQ, swimming and enjoying life generally, half full and all that.

Go for it I say, there are no pockets in shrouds. :rolleyes:

I didn't tell the whole story. My area of expertise was in Police Training. I have spent the past 10 years working in Police academies in war torn countries such as Afghanistan, Kosovo, Iraq, Albania, China, Kiev, Dubai, Jordan to name a few.

Fed up with hotels, flying, airports, and packing. Now enjoying the quiet life, BBQ, swimming and enjoying life generally, half full and all that.

Go for it I say, there are no pockets in shrouds. :rolleyes:

I guess the peace of Northern Cyprus is a welcome antidote!

So what's on the menu today? I'm slumming it with a ham bap and a bowl of soup...out tonight with friends for a Chinese banquet:)

S

We've got some lovely nice fresh salmon fillets and asparagus today.

So ... I'm thinking of doing her a fresh Salmon and asparagus rissoto (with a slug of champagne) with some sourdough bread. We'll sit outside.

How does that sound?

We've got some lovely nice fresh salmon fillets and asparagus today.

So ... I'm thinking of doing her a fresh Salmon and asparagus rissoto (with a slug of champagne) with some sourdough bread. We'll sit outside.

How does that sound?

Sounds fabulous....love champagne!:)

Sophia,

This Chinese malarky. Is it an "all you can eat" buffet or a proper banquet? Do you sit down and they serve or do you have to make a dash for some filled tins whilst bayonetting the wounded?

Banquets always have soup to start, then spring rolls and the duck and pancakes etc ... If it is a proper banquet whatever you do, sit right smack in the middle of the table and not at an end unless you are a vegetarian. If you are at the end of a table then by the time the person beside you passes the dish and smiles having taken the last two bits of chicken or beef or pork or duck ... and the last cashew nut ... so whatever the dish started out as when it was placed in the middle, by the time it reaches you at the end of the table they are all the same. Onion, beanspout and carrot. STAY IN THE MIDDLE!

Lovely lunch ... she decided that she didn't want champers because it blows her out and she was looking forward to risotto. So it was Pecheur.

She ate it all. :)

6D170524-6155-40B5-AEA8-D6E4E0CF8AEE_zpshn2m8ajt.jpg

0164988E-4419-430E-92DC-DD9E4C4B0925_zpsqc2hmfpj.jpg

BD664303-6ADA-4016-BBAF-01C6EE6C136E_zpscwxayejb.jpg

Yes I get it

It's all the accoutrements

And libations

And and and

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Jeff and his boss do lunch rather than dinner,

They probably make do with a snack or a sandwich for dinner

That's if they wake up after lunch:D

Yes, you are correct ... and we are both recovered,

Tonight is a London Cure smoke salmon bagel and a glass of water.

Sophia,

This Chinese malarky. Is it an "all you can eat" buffet or a proper banquet? Do you sit down and they serve or do you have to make a dash for some filled tins whilst bayonetting the wounded?

Banquets always have soup to start, then spring rolls and the duck and pancakes etc ... If it is a proper banquet whatever you do, sit right smack in the middle of the table and not at an end unless you are a vegetarian. If you are at the end of a table then by the time the person beside you passes the dish and smiles having taken the last two bits of chicken or beef or pork or duck ... and the last cashew nut ... so whatever the dish started out as when it was placed in the middle, by the time it reaches you at the end of the table they are all the same. Onion, beanspout and carrot. STAY IN THE MIDDLE!

Lovely lunch ... she decided that she didn't want champers because it blows her out and she was looking forward to risotto. So it was Pecheur.

She ate it all. :)

As much as l love a glass of the old fizz l too tend to choose my moments...l actually find a champagne cocktail much better to digest these days...but only when l am away from home with someone making it for me :D

The Chinese evening went superbly well....indeed a buffet not :eek: but we decided not to attack the banquet and ordered our own selection which was excellent and thoroughly enjoyed by all. It's a very small restaurant, no more than 40 covers and service was spot on.

I've been told that l now have to choose the next months venue for our ladies night out....l feel a bit of a boogie coming on for the next event!;)

S :)

I also do lunch rather than dinner...followed by a nap in the afternoon :rolleyes:

Whilst cruising however, l do have to try and pace myself....or not! ;)

I noticed on one of your comments your referred to a Chassagne Montrachet....I favour the Batard....but find it ridiculously expensive here.

Some years ago in the US we were enjoying a bottle of the said wine for less than $80, but found it difficult to purchase here in the UK.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Sophia :)

I also do lunch rather than dinner...followed by a nap in the afternoon :rolleyes:

Whilst cruising however, l do have to try and pace myself....or not! ;)

I noticed on one of your comments your referred to a Chassagne Montrachet....I favour the Batard....but find it ridiculously expensive here.

Some years ago in the US we were enjoying a bottle of the said wine for less than $80, but found it difficult to purchase here in the UK.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Sophia :)

Sophia,

Batard is indeed a great wine,slightly heavier and a little more complex than the

Chassagne and Puligny.

I have a good stock of all the wines from the Mont Rachet hill region.They are the best wines in the world if you like the Chardonnay grape and usually the most expensive.

I drink the Batard with Lobster Thermidor or a richly sauced fish dish.

I have no problem getting any wine that I fancy here in London.

Everything has it's price, the trick is to get in at an early stage and buy wine En Primeur.

Having good advice from a top wine merchant is also essential.

They know what I like and make sure that I get the wines that will appreciate financially and will drink well.in later years.

Sophia,

Batard is indeed a great wine,slightly heavier and a little more complex than the

Chassagne and Puligny.

I have a good stock of all the wines from the Mont Rachet hill region.They are the best wines in the world if you like the Chardonnay grape and usually the most expensive.

I drink the Batard with Lobster Thermidor or a richly sauced fish dish.

I have no problem getting any wine that I fancy here in London.

Everything has it's price, the trick is to get in at an early stage and buy wine En Primeur.

Having good advice from a top wine merchant is also essential.

They know what I like and make sure that I get the wines that will appreciate financially and will drink well.in later years.

Thank you kindly.

Sophia

UKCruiseJeff

I hope the pet deer won't be on the menu next week! :eek: :D

Cheers Jennifer

Venison was on the Silver Spirit menu a couple of weeks ago. It was quite good.

Jeff - How long ago was that picture taken exactly? ;)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app