Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Jeff, I must say that your posts tend to send me scurrying off to look things up. That not only exercises my mind but also my legs. :) If I got the story right, Epicurus has been commonly misunderstood to advocate the rampant pursuit of pleasure. What he was really advocating was striving for the absence of pain and suffering. No pain and suffering would negate the need for pleasure. Interesting concept. The really cool thing about Epicurus was that his was the first of the ancient Greek philosophical schools to admit women as a rule rather than an exception. He was enlightened! :)

I think the main thing is that those that receive his wisdom second-hand associate the name with extravagence and gluttony and high living (particularly for some reason) when it comes to food.

However the opposite is true. We should restrict our desires to what is necessary and easy to attain, Epicurus says. So actually, contrary to the popular image of Epicureans as libertines, Epicurus and his followers lived quite austere lives, following a simple diet and not having many possessions. His theme was that we should restrict our desires to what is necessary and easy to attain. So actually, contrary to the popular image of Epicureans as libertines, Epicurus and his followers lived quite austere lives, following a simple diet and not having many possessions.

To him a simple meal by a stream would have been better than a slap up meal in a top end taverna ....

He basically said as you say that the absence of pain and worry was a result!

Oddly that philisophy directly led imho to one of management's useful pyramids and that's Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs ... which neatly fits Mr E.

:)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Is the class now dismissed Professor Jeff? :) Have you assigned any homework or required reading? It is a dull, grey day here which seems like the perfect time to explore ideas. It is intriguing how things interrelate and seemingly disparate fields become connected through concepts.

Is the class now dismissed Professor Jeff? :) Have you assigned any homework or required reading? It is a dull, grey day here which seems like the perfect time to explore ideas. It is intriguing how things interrelate and seemingly disparate fields become connected through concepts.

Well, if you are in the mood, my favourite of the bunch is ..... and it is something you keep going back to.

THE THOUGHTS

OF THE EMPEROR

MARCUS AURELIUS ANTONINUS

There are lot's of free downloads to read on ipads and things. Here is a free copy!

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15877/15877-h/15877-h.htm

I'll test you tommorow .....

Jeff

Do you know that the most misrepresented of all of the philosphers was probably Epicurus?

Jeff's Epicurus and other high-minded thoughts are wonderful, but maybe a little too upscale for me, especially early this morning. Love the food pictures, but I have some visuals to share from certain British visitors who dropped by last night at our local football stadium.

It was Sir Mick Jagger and his Rolling Stones buddies giving a little "Satisfaction" to 62,000 fans in Ohio State's big football stadium. Yes, this facility can hold 105,000 normally, but for a rock concert set-up with its big stage and many projection screens, the size was "smaller" to allow better visibility. Below are six of my pictures to give an idea on this performance.

Yes, Mick Jagger is 71 year old, but he remains the consummate showman with incredible action and energy. With guitarists Ronnie Wood (the young one at age 67) and Keith Richards (age 71) and drummer Charlie Watts (age 73), their 50-plus years of the rock 'n' roll lifestyle shows on their faces. But, as a newspaper reviewer noted after last night's concert, their ages are reflected . . . "not in their hearts". This reviewer also said: "Jagger's spins and rockified two-step have all the same verve and vigor they had when he was 17 instead of 71 – so maybe his biological clock is dyslexic." The Columbus Dispatch review was headlined: "Jagger hasn’t lost a step; Stones still rock" with this lead sentence: "Frisky and fit, Mick Jagger started up and never stopped."

True!! We were at the Rolling Stone's last concert in this big stadium. That was in 1997. I also saw the Stone at one other concert. And to be fair and balanced, I also saw the Beatles live in Cleveland in 1965. Plus, many other rock, pop and classical concerts over my many, many years.

Lots of Rolling Stones' favorites were played last night, including: "Paint It Black,'' "Honky Tonk Woman,'' "You Can’t Always Get What You Want," etc.

Their final encore, what else, was "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction". The Cleveland newspaper reviewer said . . . "it is all about trying to recapture, or at least remember, our lost youth."

Let it fly!! Who hates and/or loves rock 'n roll, including Mick and the Stones?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 23,566 views for these postings.

Here is just a small sampling for Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones performing last night in Ohio Stadium. This location normally handles 105,000 fans for the National Champion OSU college football team. BUT, for Saturday night, it became a "concert hall". Below are just a few of my sample visuals, including the opening song of "Jumpin' Jack Flash'' with fireworks, lots of fast rock action, Mick prancing all around the giant stage with its large-screen video images, etc. The final shot show the four group members taking their final bows.:

June2015A1_zpssc8czfrc.jpg

June2015A2_zpsa5csv9pk.jpg

June2015A3_zpso18avdo5.jpg

June2015A5_zpsmvxcltdz.jpg

June2015A4_zpskgowuh37.jpg

June2015A6_zpse4kwe8a1.jpg

The concert pics are great Terry! Hope you had a marvelous time. Their music is really something to throw your whole body and soul into! Dance like no one is watching! :)

Appreciate your nice comments on my concert pictures . . . AND . . . knowing that you are smart/hip in loving such music as done by the Rolling Stones and other rock/pop stars.

BUT, you said "Dance like no one is watching!", I have to be honest and confess. I am a few years younger that Mick Jagger and have not been "active" like him with drugs, women, etc. My body, however, is not designed for that level of activity, dancing like crazy, etc. Sorry! Cheers, however, to those who can "shake it" like crazy and have such fun. Most of the crowd last night was in their 50's, 60's and 70's. Much such dancing was happening last night. Plus, lots of standing during most all of the concert. This morning, however, my body is feeling the pain just from all of that standing during the concert and the getting-there-and-back there activities, without any wild dancing. Mick is an inspiration for all of us to be more fit, hip and active.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 199,527 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Great pics Terry, I love everything rock n roll, was raised on it as my family owned a large ballroom in the 60's so l was lucky enough to be involved with the Mersey Sound with an access all areas pass!!

I'm a big fan of Ronnie Wood and often you tube some of his sessions with other great musicians of his time. Sad to see that BB King passed away, l also love the blues which l find very haunting.

Another of my favourite bands is Status Quo....have been to many of their concerts and have embarrassed my daughter with the mummy dancing :rolleyes:

Jeffers can tell us some tales about the Quo....he knows them well....;)

Sophia :)

Great pics Terry, I love everything rock n roll, was raised on it as my family owned a large ballroom in the 60's so l was lucky enough to be involved with the Mersey Sound with an access all areas pass!!

I'm a big fan of Ronnie Wood and often you tube some of his sessions with other great musicians of his time. Sad to see that BB King passed away, l also love the blues which l find very haunting.

Another of my favourite bands is Status Quo....have been to many of their concerts and have embarrassed my daughter with the mummy dancing :rolleyes:

Sophia, I am so happy to hear that I am not the only mother to have embarassed her daughter with "mummy dancing". :) She once rushed out of a change room in a jean store when one of the store staff commented that I seemed to be enjoying the music. I did have the good grace not to laugh.

Edited by mysty

Sophia, I am so happy to hear that I am not the only mother to have embarassed her daughter with "mummy dancing". :) She once rushed out of a change room in a jean store when one of the store staff commented that I seemed to be enjoying the music. I did have the good grace not to laugh.

It is so funny Mysty....one good thing about getting older is that we can adopt the ' who cares' attitude....;) ironically mums gatherings seem to always be the best fun......because we know how to enjoy ourselves and make others laugh with our antics!

Great pics Terry, I love everything rock n roll, was raised on it as my family owned a large ballroom in the 60's so l was lucky enough to be involved with the Mersey Sound with an access all areas pass!! I'm a big fan of Ronnie Wood and often you tube some of his sessions with other great musicians of his time. Sad to see that BB King passed away, l also love the blues which l find very haunting. Another of my favourite bands is Status Quo....have been to many of their concerts and have embarrassed my daughter with the mummy dancing :roll eyes: Jeffers can tell us some tales about the Quo....he knows them well....;) Sophia :)

Great to know, Sophia, of your connections with the Mersey Sound. One of my personal favorites is Gerry and the Pacemakers, including two of their biggest hits, "Ferry Cross the Mersey" and "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying". Super songs with great depth!! Any connections/experiences with Gerry and the Pacemakers??? Stories/secrets about them???

Since you are a big fan of Ronnie Wood, did you know that tomorrow, June 1, 1947 will be his 68th birthday? As I understand, he was born in Hillingdon, Middlesex, England. In honor of you being a big fan of him, below are a few extra visuals of him from last night's show in Columbus. Do any of the age wrinkles show that you can see? Ronnie's shoes were black with lots of sparkle on them.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 178,491 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Is there any question for whether or not these two members of the Rolling Stones have NOT had plastic surgery on their faces? This first picture makes clear for the answer to that question. Not sure that the Grand Canyon has that many creases and valleys as seen on their faces! Below are some more visuals featuring Ronnie Wood and his guitar work from Saturday night in Ohio Stadium.:

June2015A7_zpsg8qhvys7.jpg

June2015A8_zpsjnwqqfd0.jpg

June2015A10_zpswfjn2kre.jpg

June2015A9_zpsakrbvzkh.jpg

It is so funny Mysty....one good thing about getting older is that we can adopt the ' who cares' attitude....;) ironically mums gatherings seem to always be the best fun......because we know how to enjoy ourselves and make others laugh with our antics!

Amen to that Sophia! :) I have to admit that I was hoping for a wee bit of revenge if she had a daughter herself. It was not to be. She has two lovely boys.

Thank you Terry....great pics to see of our ageing rockers growing old gracefully....or indeed disgracefully!! The wrinkles must by now be their trademark..:rolleyes:

If you YouTube Keith Richard and Chuck Berry you'll find a great clip of them having words about the intro to Johnny B Good....classic stuff...( sorry l can't link)

I have met Gerry Marsden of the Pacemakers...lovely guy...we had the same agent back then and were on his Christmas card list!! His live show is fabulous...pure rock and roll at its best.

Amazing to think that all these guys are of a certain age but still rockin!!

Some of today's music leaves me very cold.....oh..and l like a bit of Mustang Sally too....:D

Amen to that Sophia! :) I have to admit that I was hoping for a wee bit of revenge if she had a daughter herself. It was not to be. She has two lovely boys.

Oh don't despair Mysty....my son in law avoids me like the plague when l am in dancing mode....yet displays great vigour Daddy dancing in front of my granddaughter!

You are right ..... memories of a past era for me.

Terry talking about Merseybeat reminded me of now sadly gone John Banks of The Merseybeats or The Merseys. It seems like yesterday that I was with him when he bought his first car ... a big second-hand American job. He decided to use it to take me and him and a couple of others to a gig that evening. There was a drink or two and we were young and everything seemed OK in those days. He seemed a bit unsure of the controls ... it was a column shift as the Amercians call it. Well, on our way upthe A40 the inevitable happened and we were stopped by the police. It transpired that John hadn't got a driving licence, or insurance and had never taken lessons ... and that night The Merseys performed without a drummer.

And then there was the night The Stones didn't get their "start time" right at Leyton Baths and whilst I was left placating an audience of "Rockers" ... (you may remember Mods and Rockers) they were in a pub having a last drink or two ... whilst a very angy and impatient mob started to get very shirty ...

And the night when Quo was at Cheltenham Spa Ballroom and we'd sound-set up and were off for something to eat. At 6pm nothing is full in Cheltenham. The first place was a Chinese Restaurant that was completely empty but took one look at Rossi and Parfitt's hair and claimed they were fully booked and couldn't fit us in. We then tried an Indian place and the same happened. They wouldn't even allow us in the Wimpy bar. So it was a bag of chips and back to the venue. In those days Roy Lynes was their organist. I don't know what happened to him but he was a lovely chap and he was immensely proud of a red Jag he'd bought. I don't think he fitted in with Rossi and Parfitt. I bumped into Parfitt last year at Heathrow and the recollections were rather riotous. He remembered to mobile disco I had built that nearly destroyed several members of an audience .... another story for another day.

And then there was Chris Squire's ("Yes") lost months when we shared a place in Drayton Gardens SW10 with our respective girlfriends. He was very young and "very confused". I don't think he said anything for some time. If you saw a BBC programme about him recently everything would be clear.

Those really were the days ...... I'm getting very old clearly. Nostalgia isn't what it was.

:D

Jeff, you said you had many careers over the course of your life and I guess the music business was one of them. How cool is that? Is there anything you didn't try that you would have liked to? And your memory is amazing! I would be hard pressed to remember as many years back as you are able to. :)

Jeff, you said you had many careers over the course of your life and I guess the music business was one of them. How cool is that? Is there anything you didn't try that you would have liked to? And your memory is amazing! I would be hard pressed to remember as many years back as you are able to. :)

I either fail at things or get bored with them ... and move on.

The music industry felt like a lifetime but was short. It was why I was booted out of school. The industry was very small in the '60's and London felt like it was the centre of the world. When I met wifey I was still in the industry and she found it weird.

So many memories of a great time ..

Jeff

You are right ..... memories of a past era for me.

Terry talking about Merseybeat reminded me of now sadly gone John Banks of The Merseybeats or The Merseys. It seems like yesterday that I was with him when he bought his first car ... a big second-hand American job. He decided to use it to take me and him and a couple of others to a gig that evening. There was a drink or two and we were young and everything seemed OK in those days. He seemed a bit unsure of the controls ... it was a column shift as the Amercians call it. Well, on our way upthe A40 the inevitable happened and we were stopped by the police. It transpired that John hadn't got a driving licence, or insurance and had never taken lessons ... and that night The Merseys performed without a drummer.

And then there was the night The Stones didn't get their "start time" right at Leyton Baths and whilst I was left placating an audience of "Rockers" ... (you may remember Mods and Rockers) they were in a pub having a last drink or two ... whilst a very angy and impatient mob started to get very shirty ...

And the night when Quo was at Cheltenham Spa Ballroom and we'd sound-set up and were off for something to eat. At 6pm nothing is full in Cheltenham. The first place was a Chinese Restaurant that was completely empty but took one look at Rossi and Parfitt's hair and claimed they were fully booked and couldn't fit us in. We then tried an Indian place and the same happened. They wouldn't even allow us in the Wimpy bar. So it was a bag of chips and back to the venue. In those days Roy Lynes was their organist. I don't know what happened to him but he was a lovely chap and he was immensely proud of a red Jag he'd bought. I don't think he fitted in with Rossi and Parfitt. I bumped into Parfitt last year at Heathrow and the recollections were rather riotous. He remembered to mobile disco I had built that nearly destroyed several members of an audience .... another story for another day.

And then there was Chris Squire's ("Yes") lost months when we shared a place in Drayton Gardens SW10 with our respective girlfriends. He was very young and "very confused". I don't think he said anything for some time. If you saw a BBC programme about him recently everything would be clear.

Those really were the days ...... I'm getting very old clearly. Nostalgia isn't what it was.

Jeffers.....nostalgia is still there in our memories....most young folk today haven't a clue ....the 50's and 60's brought along a wonderful era of in my opinion the best music ever.....having said that l do also love the big band sounds of the 40's along with such greats as Frank, Ella and Nat..amongst others.

The Merseybeats played at our place but l don't think in the same line up that you recall....do you remember a group called Rory Storm and the Hurricanes? Ringo Starr and Pete Best? At that time our Cilla was in the cloakroom at the Cavern...bless her :rolleyes:....in those days she wasn't very select with her language!

Keep Rockin!

S:)

The music industry felt like a lifetime but was short. It was why I was booted out of school. The industry was very small in the '60's and London felt like it was the centre of the world. When I met wifey I was still in the industry and she found it weird.

Jeff

Have you written a book on your life Jeff? I think it would be a fascinating read! I did start reading your recommended homework assignment. That dude was one amazingly enlightened man! I'm not sure if your recommendation was meant as a test of the sincerity of my earlier post but it was no frivolous comment. "Fine thoughts and moral dissertations from men who have not worked and suffered may be read, but they will be forgotten." Not a quote from MARCUS AURELIUS ANTONINUS but from the book you referred me to.

Jeff

Would you share with us a listing of all your career endeavers? You truly seem a "Renaissance Man"! Once you mentioned a connection to SS. What did you do with them?

Would you share with us a listing of all your career endeavers? You truly seem a "Renaissance Man"! Once you mentioned a connection to SS. What did you do with them?

I really don't see it that way. One thing just really led to another in a disordely course of sequential and unexpected and seemingly unplanned events.

I feel a bit wary about this as it will undoubtedly get some univited comments .... but there you go.

I started working in a club in Soho when I was 13 whilst at school so school suffered .. perfectly illegal. I started being a "shlepper inner", then on the records and then managing the club by around 15. Only because the manager ran off with the takings and the owners only came in every 6 months and I had the keys. They were what was called "The turkish Mafia". Booted out of both home and school and lived wherver I could sleep at 16. Had a good ear for what would be a hit and drifted into A+R including choosing A and B sides of records for several record companies a few of which became hits and led to more consulatncy. My career playing records started to take off so I applied and was the youngest ever to get an employment agency licence, essentially manging myself under a different name and charging good rates and also booking groups many of whom were now friends. Did some broadcasts on a pirate ship and the odd beeb programme.

Met wifey, started an unexpected family and realised the then lifestyle wasn't really a perfect start for an unexpected family. Went into the newspaper business and was being trained on an accelerated programme to be MD of a regional paper and then group of papers. Got depressed with the boredom of it all and was fired. Moved into the Computer industry selling proper computers ie the big ones with plumbing at zillions of pounds. They were looking for odd people and they spent two years training me in business - much better than any MBA. Instead of taking two to three years to sell each system I sold my first system in three weeks. So they put me in charge of training. Was asked to start up the "PC business" in the UK and Europe from scratch. Moved onwards and upwards in various roles eventually manging mid-range computer markting.

Took an interest in why our customer satisfaction was improving whilst our market share was plummeting and realised all the consultants were clueless. So where there's a gap there's a gap and left a fat salary decent car and access to the company jet to become an opportunist and to start a conusltancy from scratch dealing with the understanding and "harvesting" of high value relationships. I was an awful employee so had to work for myself. I realised that no one understood what the essence of "satisfaction" was and thought it through and built a decent business around a very simple set of novel and obvious principles.

SS became a client but at one stage all of the computer industry were clients, banks, film studios ... everyone and their dog seemed to pass through for a while etc. Increased fees and in particular my personal fees to s silly level and only took stuff I was interested in and expanded due to client demand across Europe, Oz, US and further. I spoecialised in telling clients what they didn';t want to hear or what they already knew in a very direct way and offered strategies. Morphed into general consultancy including strategy and mentoring of friends I'd known for yonks and who had become highly successfull mostly in the IT industry. I helped them make sense of things. Even though I was booted out of school with no qualifactions a professor heard me talk about the area I had devolped and asked me to document it asd original research in exchange for a doctorate. Highly unusual to start ones education with a research degree in the UK!. Realised I had learned as much as I could and was bored and decided to stop but couldnt think of anything else I wanted to do so as we had enough acorns buried we just stopped and I have really been retired since my early 50's.

I've probably missed bits but it's been a fairly traditional ordinary life really.

Not written very well ... so sorry for typos.

Jeff

What an awesome life story Jeff! It is a tale of living life with eyes and ears open to experiences. opportunities and the courage to act! Very inspiration and none of it was an accident! Only an invitation! Thanks so much for sharing it!

Have you written a book on your life Jeff? I think it would be a fascinating read! I did start reading your recommended homework assignment. That dude was one amazingly enlightened man! I'm not sure if your recommendation was meant as a test of the sincerity of my earlier post but it was no frivolous comment. "Fine thoughts and moral dissertations from men who have not worked and suffered may be read, but they will be forgotten." Not a quote from MARCUS AURELIUS ANTONINUS but from the book you referred me to.

....I should have said ...... unless you are desperate, I wouldn't bother reading all the preamble but go to the core "thoughts".

He is unique because in spite of his extraordinary power he was extraordinarily humble. I must have read it at least a dozen times.

Hope you find it interesting.

Jeff

Jeff, I waded my way through most of the preamble before I decided that it really did nothing to illuminate the thoughts of Marcus Aurelius Antoninus. I though Professor Jeff would be more interested in my reading of the "thoughts" so I moved on. You don't strike me as someone at all interested in preamble. Just get to the "nuts" of the whole thing. :)