Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']Lovely.

I'm currently choosing some dessert wine for a lunch we're having here on Wednesday. I was once able to be in a lovely vineyard just outside Vienna early in the morning when it was still dark and frosty, just after the frosts when they were taking off some of the frozen over-sweet grapes to make eiswien and the tasting that followed gave me a real taste for it, but I wish it wasn't so rare here.

Nice to see you enjoying the fruits of the Beaune.

I'm sure you happytite will return.:)[/QUOTE]

I have a few halves and bottles of d'yquem

Brown brothers orange muscat and flora is a cheap sticky which you can get easily,it's a cross between Semillon and Gewürztraminer.

Don't go the Coke route like so many others

[quote name='Mr Luxury']I have a few halves and bottles of d'yquem

Brown brothers orange muscat and flora is a cheap sticky which you can get easily,it's a cross between Semillon and Gewürztraminer.

Don't go the Coke route like so many others[/QUOTE]

I like the eiswien because it's so clear and is so lovely nearly freezing. I think they use the same grape as Gruner Veltliner. As there is a few of us, I may make it simple and simply open some more champers. I think it's going to be a very long dessert so prissy 37.5 bottles aren't going to cut it or even be noticed. It make actually be wasted effort. I'm doing a tarte tatin with caramel icecream, so it's time to get the Gaggia icecream machine out. :)

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']I like the eiswien because it's so clear and is so lovely nearly freezing. I think they use the same grape as Gruner Veltliner. As there is a few of us, I may make it simple and simply open some more champers. I think it's going to be a very long dessert so prissy 37.5 bottles aren't going to cut it or even be noticed. It make actually be wasted effort. I'm doing a tarte tatin with caramel icecream, so it's time to get the Gaggia icecream machine out. :)[/QUOTE]

Sounds good although I would stick with vanilla ice cream and let the Tarte tatin do the talking

Chinese Night Tonite (“Tonight” for our British co-conspiritors ….)!!!

We've been eating with the Oriental House for 30 years or so now and we knew the current owner when he was running around on the lino and his parents opening the place up. A family .. as many are from Hong Kong.

Some years ago, Ken installed a computerised telephone number recognition system of which he was very proud. As I understand it, the number opens up the address details and all previous orders. Of this, he was and reamins immensely proud.

I like Ken, but I prefer his wife, Mrs Ken. Only because she flirts with me when I telephone, she has memorised the Boss's preference for thin noodles on the chow mein, and …. for some reason I do not understand … she charges £2 less for delivery. Or to put it another way, when Ken picks up the phone he charges £2 more. I know I shouldn't, and I know it's a small amount, and I know it's really petty but I find this really irritating. When he answers the phone to take the order, I find myself wanting to ask “Hi Ken, is your wife there?”

Anyway, I decided to get my own back. The first time I called under the new system he was like Basil Fawlty on speed.

“Hi Jeff … How you?”

“Fine Ken .. how you …. and how did you know it was me”

(He explains new system of which his breast is obviously swelling with pride).

So on the third order, I used my other line. All the digits the sameexcept for the last which is one digit “on” ie a 5 instead of a 4.

“Hello Ken, …. you didn't recognise me … is the system broken?”

“No … where you callin' from … you're number different!!” :eek:

“No Ken … same number … your computer has gone wrong. Is it Chinese?” ;)

“Doh … I change number delete old”:eek:

And so of course … the next time I called from the original number …... this really does confuse ... :D

Tonights spread ... I do miss Singapore ...

[IMG]http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt210/sparkyguts/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/FC3A1701-FB6B-43E6-AA0B-DAF656120C55_zpsdx74klmg.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']Chinese Night Tonite (“Tonight” for our British co-conspiritors ….)!!!

We've been eating with the Oriental House for 30 years or so now and we knew the current owner when he was running around on the lino and his parents opening the place up. A family .. as many are from Hong Kong.

Some years ago, Ken installed a computerised telephone number recognition system of which he was very proud. As I understand it, the number opens up the address details and all previous orders. Of this, he was and reamins immensely proud.

I like Ken, but I prefer his wife, Mrs Ken. Only because she flirts with me when I telephone, she has memorised the Boss's preference for thin noodles on the chow mein, and …. for some reason I do not understand … she charges £2 less for delivery. Or to put it another way, when Ken picks up the phone he charges £2 more. I know I shouldn't, and I know it's a small amount, and I know it's really petty but I find this really irritating. When he answers the phone to take the order, I find myself wanting to ask “Hi Ken, is your wife there?”

Anyway, I decided to get my own back. The first time I called under the new system he was like Basil Fawlty on speed.

“Hi Jeff … How you?”

“Fine Ken .. how you …. and how did you know it was me”

(He explains new system of which his breast is obviously swelling with pride).

So on the third order, I used my other line. All the digits the sameexcept for the last which is one digit “on” ie a 5 instead of a 4.

“Hello Ken, …. you didn't recognise me … is the system broken?”

“No … where you callin' from … you're number different!!” :eek:

“No Ken … same number … your computer has gone wrong. Is it Chinese?” ;)

“Doh … I change number delete old”:eek:

And so of course … the next time I called from the original number …... this really does confuse ... :D

Tonights spread ... I do miss Singapore ...

[IMG]http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt210/sparkyguts/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/FC3A1701-FB6B-43E6-AA0B-DAF656120C55_zpsdx74klmg.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh very funny Mr Jeff

I don't envy your digestive system with all the MSG lurking in those dishes.

I can hear Ken after realising that you are messing him around.

Mr Jeff why you fliucking me about you velly bad man.

[quote name='Mr Luxury']Oh very funny Mr Jeff

I don't envy your digestive system with all the MSG lurking in those dishes.

I can hear Ken after realising that you are messing him around.

Mr Jeff why you fliucking me about you velly bad man.[/QUOTE]

No MSG. I have enough problems getting her to unhyper without MSG. You have his voice of to a T. I haven't flucked anyone I promise.

I do love a Chines globby curry. Better than Pollyfilla when it dries.

:D

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']Oh dear ... the night when Europe lurched to the right! :(

Politics is governed by the rule of unintended consequences, ain't it.

:([/QUOTE]

Nigel lives about two miles from my Kent pile.

Cameron has changed his tune a bit this morning,he needed a kick up the khyber

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']No MSG. I have enough problems getting her to unhyper without MSG. You have his voice of to a T. I haven't flucked anyone I promise.

I do love a Chines globby curry. Better than Pollyfilla when it dries.

:D[/QUOTE]

There are always peas in a Chinese curry

We'll be looking for a Vesta next

[quote name='Mr Luxury']There are always peas in a Chinese curry

We'll be looking for a Vesta next[/quote]

There were ... and in lunch today ....

[IMG]http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt210/sparkyguts/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/3F0D6752-9A0C-4878-8683-7EA174C9CBF4_zpsoi7jlghj.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Mr Luxury']Nigel lives about two miles from my Kent pile.

Cameron has changed his tune a bit this morning,he needed a kick up the khyber[/quote]

Too little too late.

The combined and obscure trains that are the seemingly disparate converging trends meeting headlong with the unexpected consequences of rational decisions is taking us lucky folks to a Europe intended to bring peace which is in the current process of imploding.

What will be is exactly what the politicians intended not to be.

I want my money back. :(

[quote name='Mr Luxury']Funny also in other European countries how things have gone to the far right.[/QUOTE]

When politicians accuse their populations of being racist when they have viable concerns about immigration, then you inevitably create racism. Issues not confronted create the very issues you wish to avoid .... and then theres the economy stupid.

And then there's the banks ....

:(

Happy Days!

Good Evening:)

Just checking in after my wee soiree to our lovely Capital and can report a fabulous time was had by my good self!

I am of course now totally knackeroonied with aches and pains in places l didn't think existed, due to long walks and copious amounts of the old champers and fine wines ;)

Thoroughly enjoyed Oblix at the Shard, despite my fear of elevators! Had a very enjoyable late Sunday lunch at Rules and managed to 'pop' into Selfridges shoe gallery to secure a very nice pair of sandals at Prada....champers was to blame for that..:eek: One's daughter will not be amused, l just thank the lord we are not the same size!!

So it's back to reality and possibly bread and cheese for the next week! ;)

Sophia :)

Bringing the family through London for a quick 40-hour stopover in 3-weeks on holiday.

We land at LHR shortly after 12:30p and have dinner that early evening scheduled at Dinner by Heston Blumenthal. I imagine we'll need a little something to tie us over in the afternoon and was thinking tea might be nice. Staying at the JW Grosvenor House, where would you recommend?

The following day we're heading up to York for the day. That evening, we have tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys. So, would you recommend an early dinner at Oblix inside the Shard?

Stumbling via my iPad using Tapatalk HD

[quote name='Stumblefoot']Bringing the family through London for a quick 40-hour stopover in 3-weeks on holiday.

We land at LHR shortly after 12:30p and have dinner that early evening scheduled at Dinner by Heston Blumenthal. I imagine we'll need a little something to tie us over in the afternoon and was thinking tea might be nice. Staying at the JW Grosvenor House, where would you recommend?

The following day we're heading up to York for the day. That evening, we have tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys. So, would you recommend an early dinner at Oblix inside the Shard?

Stumbling via my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/quote]

Gosh, Stumblefoot you do sound like you are travelling around a bit on your 40 hour trip!

Have I understood you correctly. You leave London for York and return back to London in time to go to the Tower for the ceremony of the keys at 10pm? That sounds really busy if you are arriving in London fairly knackered from the journey to the UK and up to and back from York. :) I guess you've been to London a few times before and know it well?

I suspect you might get less general and more specific help if you can post a few ideas of your passions food wise as that should really be the starting point rather than a few of us throwing random ideas. You seem to be more directed to fine dining but if I were showing you arround London as visitors from the US I'd offer some other ides - for example you are on the edge of the East-end where you might want to see some typical Thames-side local pubs or something. The food would be pub food but the experience offer more memories. Coming all this way to experience something you can experience anywhere is something I'd question to ensure you'd thought it through and then concluded toward Heston and / or The Shard understanding that there are other options. In a clumsy way I'm saying fine dining is international and experiencing local flavour isn't and it might be sad not to trade fine dining for local experience.

[quote name='Stumblefoot']Bringing the family through London for a quick 40-hour stopover in 3-weeks on holiday.

Stumbling via my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/QUOTE]

I agree with Jeff. You are packing rather a lot into a short time!
Grosvenor House offer a very nice tea so you would have no need to go out of the hotel after your long flight. There is a little café called Richoux which is just minutes walk from the Grosvenor who serve food all day if you need some fresh air!

I enjoyed Oblix, food and service were very good. I was taken there by friends but in all honesty l wouldn't rush to go back.

As Jeff said, there are so many local type places to eat which are more interesting....and probably more fun too:)

I'm assuming that they will take East Coast trains up to York and that's a five hour return trip on top of seeing York....a very long day in itself.
Do-able yes, but very very tiring taking in the tower at ten too!

Stumblefoot....is there a particular reason for your York trip? If not l really would be inclined to re-think. :)

So then Jeff ...what's on the menu today? Tis cold and wet up here in Yorkieland.....so I'm having a bit of brisket with corn and mash for luncheon:rolleyes:

Still tying up loose ends for the Whisper soiree in October....decided to send luggage on ahead and booked a pre flight night at Sofitel T5 ....hate airport hostelries but anything for an easy transit will do!

[quote name='specialcruisegirl']So then Jeff ...what's on the menu today? Tis cold and wet up here in Yorkieland.....so I'm having a bit of brisket with corn and mash for luncheon:rolleyes:

Still tying up loose ends for the Whisper soiree in October....decided to send luggage on ahead and booked a pre flight night at Sofitel T5 ....hate airport hostelries but anything for an easy transit will do!

Sophia :)[/quote]

Hi there,

We had some people here for lunch yesterday and it was lovely to see old friends and keep up to date .... and I cooked them a really good lunch with loads of champers. But they completely ignored my wife who is pretty upset. You know what it's like when people come ... she spent days tidying the house ... I spent loads of time preparing food and making bread etc. She even didn't drink so that she could do a station taxi service so they could drink and not a word of thanks ... people can be thoughtless ..... :mad:

Today I am going to ply her with drink. I've marinaded some cubed chicken thighs in a tandoori tikka mix for three days and we're having that with some buttered pillau and slowly braised red onion. And a bottle of Pecheur. She deserves more. :) Edited by UKCruiseJeff

[quote name='specialcruisegirl']

Had a very enjoyable late Sunday lunch at Rules and managed to 'pop' into Selfridges shoe gallery to secure a very nice pair of sandals at Prada....champers was to blame for that..:eek: [/quote]

:D
Sophia I could tell you were a girl after my own heart, I just knew you'd be led astray in That London.

Seriously, glad you had a wonderful time.
Oh, and it's so cold and rainy here on the red rose side of the Pennines that I've had to switch on the heating :eek:

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']Hi there,

We had some people here for lunch yesterday and it was lovely to see old friends and keep up to date .... and I cooked them a really good lunch with loads of champers. But they completely ignored my wife who is pretty upset. You know what it's like when people come ... she spent days tidying the house ... I spent loads of time preparing food and making bread etc. She even didn't drink so that she could do a station taxi service so they could drink and not a word of thanks ... people can be thoughtless ..... :mad:

Today I am going to ply her with drink. I've marinaded some cubed chicken thighs in a tandoori tikka mix for three days and we're having that with some buttered pillau and slowly braised red onion. And a bottle of Pecheur. She deserves more. :)[/quote]

Jeff that's awful of your guests. I don't understand people who don't realise that manners are equally important for guests as hosts.
Glad that you're being kind to Mrs Jeff to help make it up to her. The tandoori tikka sounds right up my street.
We're drinking the last offering from Laithwaites this evening, Lux was right, the selection they sent was rather poor.

Thank you UKCruiseJeff and specialcruisegirl for your responses! I appreciate your inquisitive helpfulness. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']Have I understood you correctly. You leave London for York and return back to London in time to go to the Tower for the ceremony of the keys at 10pm?[/QUOTE]Yes.

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']That sounds really busy if you are arriving in London fairly knackered from the journey to the UK and up to and back from York.[/quote]Good! Busy is how we like it. We're really lucky here in DEN as the BA flight departs @ 8:45p. So, we're able to sleep the vast majority of the trip over.

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']I guess you've been to London a few times before and know it well?[/QUOTE]Have been to London, but wouldn't say we know it well at all. We sure do enjoy the city though.

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']I suspect you might get less general and more specific help if you can post a few ideas of your passions food wise as that should really be the starting point rather than a few of us throwing random ideas.[/QUOTE]Good point. I know better.

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']You seem to be more directed to fine dining[/quote]Very much so.

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']Coming all this way to experience something you can experience anywhere is something I'd question to ensure you'd thought it through and then concluded toward Heston...[/quote]#2 reason for this brief stopover is to dine at Dinner.

[quote name='specialcruisegirl']Grosvenor House offer a very nice tea so you would have no need to go out of the hotel after your long flight. There is a little café called Richoux which is just minutes walk from the Grosvenor who serve food all day if you need some fresh air[/quote]Wonderful! Two very good options.

[quote name='specialcruisegirl']I enjoyed Oblix, food and service were very good. I was taken there by friends but in all honesty l wouldn't rush to go back.[/quote]Good to know. Thank you for saving us the trip.

[quote name='specialcruisegirl']As Jeff said, there are so many local type places to eat which are more interesting....and probably more fun too:)[/QUOTE][quote name='UKCruiseJeff']...but if I were showing you around London as visitors from the US I'd offer some other ides...[/QUOTE]The reason we picked Oblix was because it was fine dining and a very close walk to the Keys Ceremony. With that said, we're just as comfortable dining casually. And, while we love so many of the pubs we've been to in London, for this brief visit, we really prefer to avoid a pub as we'd prefer to experience your local flavor somewhere with refined food near the ceremony. So, is there a great local casual spot near the Tower of London that has a transformative chef who uses the freshest ingredients, focused on farm to table, regardless of cuisine type? I imagine we'd arrive around 7:30p and spend 90 minutes or so lingering.

[quote name='UKCruiseJeff']I think I'm a bit doubtful about going to York for the day and arriving back in time "for an early dinner" before going to the tower. Physically do-able but in my view a nasty way to spend a day. :)[/QUOTE]I understand your point-of-view. One man's nastiness is another's dreaminess. ;)

[quote name='specialcruisegirl']Stumblefoot....is there a particular reason for your York trip? If not l really would be inclined to re-think. :)[/QUOTE]Yes, we do have a particular reason. In fact, it's the #1 reason for this stopover trip. During our 10-days in London last year, we had a day scheduled in York to experience the Vikings, as well as Medieval and Regency history. Unfortunately, when we awoke to depart for York, we all became violently ill from food poisoning late the night before. It was awful. We couldn't make the trip.

The private Guide we had scheduled was an absolute wonderful individual. He understood our situation completely and even though we had pre-paid for his time that wasn't refundable at such short notice, he was gracious and offered to maintain our funds for a future visit. So..., we're finally going to see York and her beautiful city walls, Jorvik center, Minster, and pictureque Shambles, as well as the various tucked away corners of this historic city.

[quote name='specialcruisegirl']I'm assuming that they will take East Coast trains up to York and that's a five hour return trip on top of seeing York....a very long day in itself. Do-able yes, but very very tiring taking in the tower at ten too![/quote]I just checked the East Coast Trains itinerary and they show the return trip time from York to Kings Cross is less than 2 hours. So, this will be perfect for a nice catnap. We plan to be back in Kings Cross before 7:00p.