QQM2 TransAtlantic Stateroom Selection Help

Neferteria

Hello!

After enduring a long and very uncomfortable plane trip with attendant jet lag to Vienna, Austria last year, we are looking to go by ship next year from NYC. We are looking to sail in May 2014. We are looking for quite basic accommodations as a large part of our budget will be spent on the wonderful opera and concert offerings during our three weeks in Vienna. An inside stateroom will meet our needs very nicely.

I would appreciate any guidance any of you might give me about the differences in the different categories of inside staterooms. We notice that the lowest priced ones are in the aft part of the boat, which is typically the smoothest part of the boat. But we would also like to know the drawback for these rooms as opposed to those mid-ship at a higher price.

We do want to avoid any staterooms that are noisy because of location

Thanks so much for any help you might give us!

Hello!

After enduring a long and very uncomfortable plane trip with attendant jet lag to Vienna, Austria last year, we are looking to go by ship next year from NYC. We are looking to sail in May 2014. We are looking for quite basic accommodations as a large part of our budget will be spent on the wonderful opera and concert offerings during our three weeks in Vienna. An inside stateroom will meet our needs very nicely.

I would appreciate any guidance any of you might give me about the differences in the different categories of inside staterooms. We notice that the lowest priced ones are in the aft part of the boat, which is typically the smoothest part of the boat. But we would also like to know the drawback for these rooms as opposed to those mid-ship at a higher price.

We do want to avoid any staterooms that are noisy because of location

Thanks so much for any help you might give us!

Good evening, Neferteria:

I've never had an inside stateroom. Had one booked but we upgraded for very little extra nearer our departure date. However, there is some good information on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=444294&highlight=pepperrn+qm2+inside+cabins

especially post #14.

pepperrn: Has excellent photos of QM2 which you would probably enjoy as you plan your sailing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/

Hope this helps until someone with more knowledge comes along.

You will love the QM2!

best regards,

seasidegal

Thanks to both of you for your prompt responses! It would be lovely to have a balcony room, but as we are also bringing our youngest with his new bride to Vienna shortly after we arrive there, we are hoping to find transport as close as what we would pay for air fare as is possible. I'm sure we will love the QM2. My husband hasn't sailed trans Atlantic since he was a boy with his career Army father, and I never have. My one transport ship trip was many years ago as a Peace Corps volunteer on an Italian liner transport boat from the port of Lima to the port of Cartagena, Colombia. Thoroughly enjoyed it, as spartan as it was!

I'm hoping that someone who has had experience with the lower deck aft rooms will reply.

Thanks to both of you for your prompt responses! It would be lovely to have a balcony room, but as we are also bringing our youngest with his new bride to Vienna shortly after we arrive there, we are hoping to find transport as close as what we would pay for air fare as is possible. I'm sure we will love the QM2. My husband hasn't sailed trans Atlantic since he was a boy with his career Army father, and I never have. My one transport ship trip was many years ago as a Peace Corps volunteer on an Italian liner transport boat from the port of Lima to the port of Cartagena, Colombia. Thoroughly enjoyed it, as spartan as it was!

I'm hoping that someone who has had experience with the lower deck aft rooms will reply.

Hi again,

Neferteria:

Although we did not have an inside cabin we did have a cabin on deck 4 which was aft (very aft :-)

Cabin: 4204 which is an in-hull balcony cabin. This past spring.

http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/deck-plans/

We loved the location...gave us lots of exercise walking to the front of the ship. ;) and loved being on the lower deck. The only negative (if there was one) was a slight humming noise. However, it didn't keep us awake and we would book this cabin again.

In 2008 we took our daughter and her son (teenager) along with us and they had an inside cabin on deck 5. Can't remember the number right now. However, they loved the inside cabin and she said she would book an inside again.

Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful family time.

best regards,

seasidegal

Thanks, again! It sounds like the slight humming would be akin to "white noise" which I don't find troublesome at all. I guess the aft staterooms are less expensive because of the amount of walking required? We always do a lot of walking in Vienna and never found it to be a problem. Helps to keep the pounds off!!!

The newlyweds will have to come by plane due to time constraints, but are thrilled to be coming to Vienna with us, our favorite city in the world! I know we will have a wonderful time.

I've read a little about the time adjustments going east, but I can't imagine anything being worse than jet lag crossing six time zones and on a cramped plane. We are hoping to arrive relatively refreshed, and of course have a second leg of the trip to Vienna.

Thanks, again! It sounds like the slight humming would be akin to "white noise" which I don't find troublesome at all. I guess the aft staterooms are less expensive because of the amount of walking required? We always do a lot of walking in Vienna and never found it to be a problem. Helps to keep the pounds off!!!

The newlyweds will have to come by plane due to time constraints, but are thrilled to be coming to Vienna with us, our favorite city in the world! I know we will have a wonderful time.

I've read a little about the time adjustments going east, but I can't imagine anything being worse than jet lag crossing six time zones and on a cramped plane. We are hoping to arrive relatively refreshed, and of course have a second leg of the trip to Vienna.

This past spring we sailed the QE from NY over to Southampton and 21 days later sailed the QM2 back to NY. The time adjustments didn't bother

me at all. When on board I sleep as little as possible as to squeeze every last waking minute out of our sailings. I especially love to walk around the ship during the night when it is so quiet and peaceful and I can take time to view all the art and study the vast amount of memorabilia on the ships.

It is another big plus to sailing on Cunard...it's wonderful history.

best wishes,

seasidegal

I notcied on the 10th deck (Princess Grill Suite deck) there are inside statements that have their own inner private hall, ensuring major quiet. Careful if you're forward as there are washer/driers there though I doubt you'll hear anything. My hunch is these are VERY quiet and on a lovely deck (never crowded walking the 10th deck) and would be the ideal inside statement for noise and location. Walking to the rear of the ship is long but worth it to get a bit of exercise and easy access to Brittania

I notcied on the 10th deck (Princess Grill Suite deck) there are inside statements that have their own inner private hall, ensuring major quiet... My hunch is these are VERY quiet and on a lovely deck... and would be the ideal inside... for noise and location...
Hi kasius11,

I've not had a cabin on Deck 10, but have had 11011 and 9018, both of which fitted your description above perfectly :) . The latter cabin was esp. great, being only a few steps from the Commodore Club ;) .

Best wishes,

Our first voyage was in 5251, an inside D6. (2006)

We'd booked a D7 but were given an upgrade :p

Slept like a log.

We've also stayed in 6255 (2008). No issues stand out in my mind - and we were in this cabin for 17 nights !

We 'betrayed' our QM2 inside cabin loyalty earlier this year, but who turns down a balacony offer at inside prices? We'd have booked an inside otherwise. Happier to spend the difference in the spa and bar :)

I notcied on the 10th deck (Princess Grill Suite deck) there are inside statements that have their own inner private hall, ensuring major quiet.

I had one of these a few years ago and can confirm they are exceptionally quiet. Although being so high there is, on a transatlantic, the potential for more movement than on a lower deck.

We have also had an inside on Deck 5 which we chose because decks 4 & 6 are all cabins and should insulate the deck 5 cabins from 'public room' noise. The deck 4 aft insides are above the Queen's Room and G32, the disco/nightclub. I don't know how much of a problem this is. I guess it depends on the hours you keep yourself:D.

I notice that the online deck plans no longer seem to indicate the connecting cabins. I'd recommend getting hold of a set of deck plans that show these (do the brochures still show them?). There's definitely more noise through a connecting door than from either above or below.

Regards, Colin.

I notice that the online deck plans no longer seem to indicate the connecting cabins. I'd recommend getting hold of a set of deck plans that show these (do the brochures still show them?).
Hi Colin,

The brochure I have in front of me (April '13 - May '14) does still show the connecting cabins on QM2.

Best wishes,

Hi again,

Neferteria:

Although we did not have an inside cabin we did have a cabin on deck 4 which was aft (very aft :-)

Cabin: 4204 which is an in-hull balcony cabin. This past spring.

http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/deck-plans/

We loved the location...gave us lots of exercise walking to the front of the ship. ;) and loved being on the lower deck. The only negative (if there was one) was a slight humming noise. However, it didn't keep us awake and we would book this cabin again.

In 2008 we took our daughter and her son (teenager) along with us and they had an inside cabin on deck 5. Can't remember the number right now. However, they loved the inside cabin and she said she would book an inside again.

Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful family time.

best regards,

seasidegal

Interesting! We were "upgraded" on our recent short trip to room 4208. it was a very nice cabin BUT there was an awful lot of 'thumping' from the Queens Room and G32 at night - so much so that the mattress actually vibrated whilst you were trying to sleep :eek:

if you are a late-night person then this may not bother you. we were lucky, I think, in that the noise was generally finished by about 12.30am but that may not be the case a) on a longer cruise; b) with a different age group on board.

Lovely ship though - enjoy :D

• 2 weeks later...
I notcied on the 10th deck (Princess Grill Suite deck) there are inside statements that have their own inner private hall, ensuring major quiet. Careful if you're forward as there are washer/driers there though I doubt you'll hear anything. My hunch is these are VERY quiet and on a lovely deck (never crowded walking the 10th deck) and would be the ideal inside statement for noise and location. Walking to the rear of the ship is long but worth it to get a bit of exercise and easy access to Brittania

We had an inside on deck 10 (10037) on our recent transatlantic crossing. I was unable to sleep due to a noise which I thought was the aircon but was told it was just a ship's noise although we have never had such a noisy cabin on previous cruises, so they changed our cabin.. We subsequently had cabins on deck 6 and deck 8 both of which were fine.

We recently did two TA's with cabins on Deck 5. On the first leg we had cabin 5243. There was a slight vibration which we mainly felt in the bathroom. It was not an issue in the cabin itself. On the second leg, we had cabin 5167. There were no vibration or noise issues with that cabin. We like the cabins on deck 5 for the same reasons others have posted. On another voyage we spent two weeks in cabin 10035. There were no noise issues in that cabin. As kasius11 points out, these cabins are in a private hallway and there are very few people who walk by. We loved the location. It is interesting that catloverinhightown was in the cabin next door to 10035 and had so many problems with noise. That would make me question their explanation of "ship noise". The only really bad cabin we have had was on deck 6. It was an inside cabin and was right below an area of the King's Court. We had lots of noise very early in the morning and very late at night. Because of that experience, we would never choose a cabin on deck 6. Neferteria, I hope you find the perfect cabin and have a fabulous crossing.

Archived