Land's End in Homer - Any Recent Stays?

LEtue

Been scanning the posts for information on Land's End in Homer and can't find any recent reviews of the lodging. Was looking at the Midship Bay rooms so if anyone has stayed there this summer I would love to hear about how your stay went.

Thanks in advance!

We visited there and had a drink on the patio a few weeks ago, but didn't stay. It wasn't crowded at all.

Highly recommend "The Cranes Rest" B&B. It's about 5 miles out of town, but fantastic views, lovely outdoor spaces, spotlessly clean, and the owners are absolutely wonderful. Breakfast is outstanding. One of the best B&B's we've ever stayed in.

We visited there and had a drink on the patio a few weeks ago, but didn't stay. It wasn't crowded at all.

Highly recommend "The Cranes Rest" B&B. It's about 5 miles out of town, but fantastic views, lovely outdoor spaces, spotlessly clean, and the owners are absolutely wonderful. Breakfast is outstanding. One of the best B&B's we've ever stayed in.

Thanks! Did you find the distance from town a problem? We have never been to Homer before and would like to be able to walk to some things and of course along the beach :)

If you have a car, no problem. If you don't have a car, then you really need to stay right on the Spit.

Cranes Rest is on several acres on the east part of town. Beautiful views, and great patio. They'll tell you about some lesser known, lovely drives and things to do. But you won't be walking along the beach out your door.

We were with another couple, and each had our own room with private baths and adjoining patio. Our biggest regret of the trip is that we didn't stay longer in Homer.

We will have a car. We are booked on a bear fly in trip that will take up most of our time on one day and since we are only there for two nights I don't want to have to jump in the car too often.

We are driving from Anchorage and then dropping the car in Whittier before boarding the Coral Princess :D

Last summer we spent several nights in Homer, staying in one of the condos associated with the Land's End. The condos are privately owned, but leased through Land's End. The unit we stayed in was lovely, and we were very pleased with the location on the spit.

The location on the spit is awesome! For the amount of time we will be spending on the site we are hoping that the regular rooms will work. Did you get a sense of the resort or happen to speak with anyone staying there?

We just got back from two weeks in Alaska. Did similar itinerary as you are planning. We stayed pre-bear watch at McNeil River Falls at a very nice B&B - Paula's Place and upon our evening return from flying back from McNeil to Homer we stayed a Brigette's Bavarian B&B. Had beautiful gardens, but was a bit out of town. Great restaurant not on the spit was the Homestead. We did stay years ago at Land's End. Personally like the B&Bs better. Had a nice lunch on their quiet patio prior to our adventure at McNeil. We also drove after this to Whittier and boarded a cruise ship. Great trip. Tons of bears!

Check out places on Trip Advisor.

DON

Thanks, I have already done that and I use it to get started with most trip planning.

However, I'm looking for first hand experiences from CC members that may have stayed there recently since I find them the best source of information :)

We just got back from two weeks in Alaska. Did similar itinerary as you are planning. We stayed pre-bear watch at McNeil River Falls at a very nice B&B - Paula's Place and upon our evening return from flying back from McNeil to Homer we stayed a Brigette's Bavarian B&B. Had beautiful gardens, but was a bit out of town. Great restaurant not on the spit was the Homestead. We did stay years ago at Land's End. Personally like the B&Bs better. Had a nice lunch on their quiet patio prior to our adventure at McNeil. We also drove after this to Whittier and boarded a cruise ship. Great trip. Tons of bears!

Thanks for the restaurant tip!

We're not really B&B people but we may give one a try again in Homer. It is hard to find 2 beds for two ladies traveling together.....

LeTue -

FYI the B & B called Paula's Place has two bedrooms, each with a queen size bed, one bath, and great room on first level of her home. She rents only to one rental party at a time. Great breakfast and good conversation with Paula included. Very clean and Paula is very friendly. As a matter of fact, Paula was going on a bear watch fly in just a few days after our adventure. It is in a residential neighborhood not too far from the spit. Nice that we were able to spread out our luggage in the great room and get ready for our camping trip to McNeil River Falls to hang out with bears. Accomodations are on main level with private entrance - no dragging luggage up steps! Personally we preferred this experience more than when we stayed at Land's End several years ago, however having a drink on their patio is priceless and not busy for lunch and we found lunch to be less expensive than other places on the spit. Best of luck and enjoy Alaska

Been scanning the posts for information on Land's End in Homer and can't find any recent reviews of the lodging. Was looking at the Midship Bay rooms so if anyone has stayed there this summer I would love to hear about how your stay went.

Thanks in advance!

What do you need to know? Last time I was at Land's End was in June.

Just be aware the new building is two stories and NO elevator. Why you would build a two story building anyplace with no elevator is beyond me but they did. We co-own one of the condos. A few summers ago, our condo was booked when we arrived so I had booked one of the Starboard Suite rooms for two nights. We have to make arrangements to use our condo almost a year in advance so this was not a surprise. Had FIL with us, hence the necessity of the two bedrooms. I had SPECIFICALLY asked for a ground floor room. When we arrived, they had given us a second floor room. I begged and pleaded but there was a "writers conference" going on and all the ground floor rooms were booked for a week.

It was all we could do to get FIL up the stairs. Then he didn't want to leave because of the pain of crawling up and down stairs (bad knees and severe arthritis). Kind of ruined the entire two days. We ended up eating in the room with me going out to get take out and basically doing NOTHING.

What a blessing to finally get into our condo. I won't stay in the hotel part of Land's End again. I am still mad at the management. The "kids" of the original owner are now running the hotel part and they are catering to larger groups and conventions. The "upscale" factor has gone up. I personally believe the service has gone down but then again, I am not a once in a while tourist. The "old" management is running the condo part and they are as great as they ever were (I have been going to Land's End for well over a decade, before we ever bought into the condo idea).

It is truly a very good hotel with great views, a nice hot tub, fantastic bar with awesome views, particularly about 4-5PM when the fishing fleet is coming in and the restaurant is pretty good. If you don't have to deal with the second story issue, you will be fine. Make your reservation far in advance to get what you want.

If you can climb stairs, this is my favorite place to stay in Homer next to our condo. The rooms sleep 4 but one person is on a pullout or futon. If you both need a REAL bed, this is not for you. There is no maid service, so you have to make your own futon up at night. IF this is to your liking, book VERY early. There are only two rooms and they book fast. This place is dead smack in the middle of the Spit. http://www.sealiongallery.com/cove/index.html

Enjoy!!! Homer, Alaska-one of my two favorite places in the entire world.

Just be aware the new building is two stories and NO elevator. Why you would build a two story building anyplace with no elevator is beyond me but they did. We co-own one of the condos. A few summers ago, our condo was booked when we arrived so I had booked one of the Starboard Suite rooms for two nights. We have to make arrangements to use our condo almost a year in advance so this was not a surprise. Had FIL with us, hence the necessity of the two bedrooms. I had SPECIFICALLY asked for a ground floor room. When we arrived, they had given us a second floor room. I begged and pleaded but there was a "writers conference" going on and all the ground floor rooms were booked for a week.

It was all we could do to get FIL up the stairs. Then he didn't want to leave because of the pain of crawling up and down stairs (bad knees and severe arthritis). Kind of ruined the entire two days. We ended up eating in the room with me going out to get take out and basically doing NOTHING.

What a blessing to finally get into our condo. I won't stay in the hotel part of Land's End again. I am still mad at the management. The "kids" of the original owner are now running the hotel part and they are catering to larger groups and conventions. The "upscale" factor has gone up. I personally believe the service has gone down but then again, I am not a once in a while tourist. The "old" management is running the condo part and they are as great as they ever were (I have been going to Land's End for well over a decade, before we ever bought into the condo idea).

It is truly a very good hotel with great views, a nice hot tub, fantastic bar with awesome views, particularly about 4-5PM when the fishing fleet is coming in and the restaurant is pretty good. If you don't have to deal with the second story issue, you will be fine. Make your reservation far in advance to get what you want.

If you can climb stairs, this is my favorite place to stay in Homer next to our condo. The rooms sleep 4 but one person is on a pullout or futon. If you both need a REAL bed, this is not for you. There is no maid service, so you have to make your own futon up at night. IF this is to your liking, book VERY early. There are only two rooms and they book fast. This place is dead smack in the middle of the Spit. http://www.sealiongallery.com/cove/index.html

Thanks for the feedback! I can't remember if these rooms are upstairs so I will check that as well as the condos again. :)

I agree with greatam!

You can't think of the price you would pay for a motel/hotel elsewhere and canculate the value for money for what you pay in Alaska. People get very disappointed doing that.

Definitely not looking at price. When I'm on vacation that isn't an issue :) I just want to make sure I understand what I'm getting before I get there. These boards are fantastic for that!

For a short 2 day stay I want to take full advantage of location, location, location.....and be comfortable ;)

Thanks for the feedback! I can't remember if these rooms are upstairs so I will check that as well as the condos again. :)

Definitely not looking at price. When I'm on vacation that isn't an issue :) I just want to make sure I understand what I'm getting before I get there. These boards are fantastic for that!

For a short 2 day stay I want to take full advantage of location, location, location.....and be comfortable ;)

I really like Homer, but haven't made it to Katmai- yet, was again canceled this year. Even with 4 days there, couldn't be rescheduled, (first day- was travel day, so 3 chances). I suggest you might want to maybe adjust your time to add an additional day, since it appears you only have one day open? Only a suggestion.

I really like Homer, but haven't made it to Katmai- yet, was again canceled this year. Even with 4 days there, couldn't be rescheduled, (first day- was travel day, so 3 chances). I suggest you might want to maybe adjust your time to add an additional day, since it appears you only have one day open? Only a suggestion.

Two open days and I'm hoping July will be lucky for us. I have been trying to get to Brooks Falls for a few years. No matter what we will enjoy Homer :D

Sorry that your trip was cancelled :(

I have one last question before I call them. There are 1st floor units that appear to be under the condos. They look perfect in size for us and they have two beds. Looking at unit 612. Any thoughts? They may be privately owned since they can't be booked on line either.....

I have one last question before I call them. There are 1st floor units that appear to be under the condos. They look perfect in size for us and they have two beds. Looking at unit 612. Any thoughts? They may be privately owned since they can't be booked on line either.....

ONLY a couple of the first floor units have two beds. It may be crowded in there. I haven't been in 612. When the condos were first built and sold, they were sold as all 3 floors. When we bought ours (co-owned with another couple), we had all 3 floors. But the way they were structured made it logical to split off the ground level floor as a separate unit if you wanted extra income (and that was the beauty of buying-rental income and management fees that ALMOST offset the mortgage).

So everyone had to redecorate if you wanted the rent off the first floor as a separate unit per the standards set by Land's End condo division (totally separate from the hotel). Quite a few of us did that. It would be crowded in our first floor to have two beds. I would guess 612 may be slightly less crowded than our first floor would be because the upstairs unit is 3 bedrooms while ours is only 1. ALL are privately owned but only some are rented out.

Please be aware there is no housekeeping service during your stay unless the owner has made specific arrangements to include it. Our rental includes cleaning before and after every tenant but nothing while it is occupied. There is also no kitchen-most just have a small refer, coffee maker and microwave. The views are great. The beach is right out your front door. Quite a few of the condo owners have outdoor chairs and a private BBQ.

You really can't go wrong unless you want housekeeping service. Just buy yourself a couple of steaks or get some halibut or salmon and cook outside. Enjoy!!!

ONLY a couple of the first floor units have two beds. It may be crowded in there. I haven't been in 612. When the condos were first built and sold, they were sold as all 3 floors. When we bought ours (co-owned with another couple), we had all 3 floors. But the way they were structured made it logical to split off the ground level floor as a separate unit if you wanted extra income (and that was the beauty of buying-rental income and management fees that ALMOST offset the mortgage).

So everyone had to redecorate if you wanted the rent off the first floor as a separate unit per the standards set by Land's End condo division (totally separate from the hotel). Quite a few of us did that. It would be crowded in our first floor to have two beds. I would guess 612 may be slightly less crowded than our first floor would be because the upstairs unit is 3 bedrooms while ours is only 1. ALL are privately owned but only some are rented out.

Please be aware there is no housekeeping service during your stay unless the owner has made specific arrangements to include it. Our rental includes cleaning before and after every tenant but nothing while it is occupied. There is also no kitchen-most just have a small refer, coffee maker and microwave. The views are great. The beach is right out your front door. Quite a few of the condo owners have outdoor chairs and a private BBQ.

You really can't go wrong unless you want housekeeping service. Just buy yourself a couple of steaks or get some halibut or salmon and cook outside. Enjoy!!!

Thanks so much! I think this is just what we're looking for. We will be out and about most of the time but want somewhere "comfy" to settle into every evening. Cooking isn't a problem since we both enjoy eating out and since we're only there for 2 nights we can get along without housekeeping. The pictures on line make the room look fairly spacious and from what I have seen so far - it should be at least as roomy as the other places in town :)

Archived