Crusing over Christmas

nicole2380

We will be cruising over Christmas week Dec. 21 through the 27th. What kind of stuff do they do? Will Santa be on board?

Hi Nicole. I have taken several Christmas cruises. The ship will be decorated. They usually have an elaborate gingerbread village set up along the promenade. There will be a traditional Christmas dinner. I remember Santa joining the ship when I cruised on Holland America over Christmas, but do not remember Santa on Carnival. My memory may be incorrect though. It is an enjoyable cruise. Lots of staff members (the ones in the white uniforms) will have their families on the ship too. They play Christmas music in the public areas.

I hope you have a great time enjoying your Christmas cruise.

Edited by winddawn

We have sailed twice on Christmas cruises (although it was the week prior to Christmas and returning back home 2 days before Dec 25th) and we love it. We are doing it again this Christmas.

Although we have not been on Carnival during these Christmas cruises, all ships usually decorate with huge trees and gingerbread houses and so on. The ship is usually beautiful. Our Christmas cruise last year had a Santa and a Grinch on it. :D I of course chose to have my picture taken with the Grinch since I thought it was really funny.

Also, if you are in the Caribbean, the ports also decorate for Christmas (well at least the Mexican ports did; Costa Maya & Cozumel and Roatan did too). :)

We didn't get any snow either. :(

Decorations were a nice touch and Santa was onboard. They also had a Menorah for those celebrating Hanukkah.

On our sailing, Carnival tiptoed around the "C" word (Christmas) all week long. They just didn't want to say it. My wife and I thought it was amusing how they kept trying to avoid using the word. For example, the Fun Times would say "Join us for a special holiday celebration, withy music from the season" :rolleyes:.

Edited by Tapi

• 2 months later...
We have sailed twice on Christmas cruises (although it was the week prior to Christmas and returning back home 2 days before Dec 25th) and we love it. We are doing it again this Christmas.

Although we have not been on Carnival during these Christmas cruises, all ships usually decorate with huge trees and gingerbread houses and so on. The ship is usually beautiful. Our Christmas cruise last year had a Santa and a Grinch on it. :D I of course chose to have my picture taken with the Grinch since I thought it was really funny.

Also, if you are in the Caribbean, the ports also decorate for Christmas (well at least the Mexican ports did; Costa Maya & Cozumel and Roatan did too). :)

OMG! I love Christmas but I really love the Grinch. Looking forward to having my picture taken with him :D

They also make it snow in the atrium.

Do they post it in the Fun Times when they will make it snow in the atrium:confused:

NOTE; just found a couple of other posts that say they had snow Christmas Eve tine the atrium.

Edited by reno3

OMG! I love Christmas but I really love the Grinch. Looking forward to having my picture taken with him :D

I love the grinch too!

IMG_0276-S.jpg

He made bunny ears over my husbands head when they took the picture. It was funny. I didn't bother to tell him until we went to go look at the pictures. :D

One thing to watch out for on a Christmas cruise is whether or not you'll be in port on Christmas day. We did a Christmas cruise once and were visiting a port in Mexico on Christmas day.

If we had been smart, we would have booked a Carnival shore excursion that day. Instead, we just walked off the ship and headed in to town to explore. Stupid me... it hadn't occurred to me that just about every shop and restaurant in town was closed down for the biggest holiday of the year.

Looking back, it boggles my mind that I just expected to be able to have a normal day in Mexico that day. What the heck was I thinking?!? So... live and learn... never visit somewhere on Christmas day and expect that the locals will be ready to feed and entertain you just like any other day.

I sailed once at Christmas and I would do it again. It was my first Carnival cruise, and I had a wonderful time. The ship is decorated for Christmas, as it is in early December (I sailed last December, and there were decorations up already). There are trees all over the ship, as well as wreaths and lights. We were in port on Christmas Day (St. Kitts), and we spent it on the beach. There was a Christmas show listed in the FunTimes for the kids, but I didn't go. I heard from others that Santa was there. A special meal was served in the MDR that night. I exchanged Christmas gifts with my friend that evening. We had fun. I'd do it again.

Sent from my iPad

RCCL Monarch of the Seas June 2011--Lost My Cruise Virginity

Carnival Miracle December 2011--Christmas at Sea

Carnival Ecstacy December 2012--34th Born Day Celebration

Carnival Imagination March 2013--Last Minute Getaway

Carnival Valor July 2013--Friend's 40th Born Day Celebration

Carnival Freedom December 2013--35th Born Day Celebration

Carnival Ecstasy March 2014--Spring Break

Carnival ??? August 2013--TBA

One thing to watch out for on a Christmas cruise is whether or not you'll be in port on Christmas day. We did a Christmas cruise once and were visiting a port in Mexico on Christmas day.

If we had been smart, we would have booked a Carnival shore excursion that day. Instead, we just walked off the ship and headed in to town to explore. Stupid me... it hadn't occurred to me that just about every shop and restaurant in town was closed down for the biggest holiday of the year.

Looking back, it boggles my mind that I just expected to be able to have a normal day in Mexico that day. What the heck was I thinking?!? So... live and learn... never visit somewhere on Christmas day and expect that the locals will be ready to feed and entertain you just like any other day.

I think it depends on the port...I was in Key West one Christmas (land trip) and there was plenty to do, although the stores and the Hemingway house were closed.

Sent from my iPad

RCCL Monarch of the Seas June 2011--Lost My Cruise Virginity

Carnival Miracle December 2011--Christmas at Sea

Carnival Ecstacy December 2012--34th Born Day Celebration

Carnival Imagination March 2013--Last Minute Getaway

Carnival Valor July 2013--Friend's 40th Born Day Celebration

Carnival Freedom December 2013--35th Born Day Celebration

Carnival Ecstasy March 2014--Spring Break

Carnival ??? August 2013--TBA