Does Oceania Sell Your Email ADDRESS?

ChucktownSteve

I'm a first time Oceania customer. After booking an Oceania cruise last week and entering my DW's and my info, we each received an email from Famous Footwear at those addresses this morning.

I didn't put in my DW's regular email but a special spam one so they wouldn't have accidentally picked up both of ours at the same time from any other source.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Does Oceania Sell Your Email ADDRESS?

I would put that in the "extremely unlikely" category. :cool:

Did you book directly on Oceania's site? ..or a third party?

My advice is to monitor your inbox for those addresses..and if you are suddenly receiving more than normal junk mail... to test your computer (or have it tested) for what is called malware.

If you received the FF junk mail in both inboxes, and you see more coming in simultaneously... you may have an "intruder" that is harvesting your form-filling data.

I would put that in the "extremely unlikely" category. :cool:

Did you book directly on Oceania's site? ..or a third party?

My advice is to monitor your inbox for those addresses..and if you are suddenly receiving more than normal junk mail... to test your computer (or have it tested) for what is called malware.

If you received the FF junk mail in both inboxes, and you see more coming in simultaneously... you may have an "intruder" that is harvesting your form-filling data.

Thank you for your input.

I booked through a travel agent but she doesn't have any of my DW's email addresses. Then I filled in the personal email info on my bookings at Oceania's web site.

I'm somewhat tech/computer savvy. I scan with three well respected malware/spyware programs weekly. I don't have Trojans either. Just ran that scan late last week. All of my virus/malware/spyware programs are continually current.

I don't use browser form filling data and do not allow my browsers to opt into any info sharing. So they wouldn't have gotten email addresses for both of us anyway. We have separate computers.

I suspect it highly unlikely that it would be caused by your suggestions.

Fair points, all.

Your wife's faux address will be the key to tracking...from what you have described... as well as any simultaneous arrivals of subsequent spam.

That's how I feel. Had they not come so soon after entering the info on Oceania and especially simultaneously to the DW's special addy, I wouldn't have suspected O selling them. Oh BTW I booked the cruise on the phone since she already had all our info from previous cruises.

That's why I wanted to see if anyone else experienced something similar.

Thankx for the comments. Happy Sailing.

Did your wife possibly purchase at FF? I got hooked by them a couple years ago by providing a phone # (I know, stupid! They caught me in a weak moment.) I now receive e-mails and text messages on my cell phone:eek: (didn't provide cell #) from them. I've had no luck "un-enrolling." I just delete them and don't worry any more.

Oceania has had my email address for quite some time and I've never received spam from FF. I believe the "free" email services do harvest info about you ... And, I too have a special email account that is almost never used and it does receive spam, but not very much.

Did your wife possibly purchase at FF? I got hooked by them a couple years ago by providing a phone # (I know, stupid! They caught me in a weak moment.) I now receive e-mails and text messages on my cell phone:eek: (didn't provide cell #) from them. I've had no luck "un-enrolling." I just delete them and don't worry any more.

I hate when companies unilaterally assume they can text your cell.

However in this case, neither she nor I purchased anything at FF. But even if one of us did, they wouldn't get both emails.

Oceania has had my email address for quite some time and I've never received spam from FF. I believe the "free" email services do harvest info about you ... And, I too have a special email account that is almost never used and it does receive spam, but not very much.

These are both ATT email addresses. Since we have a total of five different ATT email addresses (not the "free" type), why would they have sent to only the same two email addys that I entered when putting in the passport/contact info on O's website? My DW didn't sign up or even visit O's website. The only place her addy was entered was where I indicated.

At least I haven't received more spam simultaneously so hopefully it was a one time event. I'm still wondering if anyone else received a Famous Footwear email after recently entering their email address on the Oceania website.

Thankx for everyone's theories.

We do not sell guest email or home addresses to anyone. Privacy is paramount.

KSK

I hate when companies unilaterally assume they can text your cell.

However in this case, neither she nor I purchased anything at FF. But even if one of us did, they wouldn't get both emails.

These are both ATT email addresses. Since we have a total of five different ATT email addresses (not the "free" type), why would they have sent to only the same two email addys that I entered when putting in the passport/contact info on O's website? My DW didn't sign up or even visit O's website. The only place her addy was entered was where I indicated.

At least I haven't received more spam simultaneously so hopefully it was a one time event. I'm still wondering if anyone else received a Famous Footwear email after recently entering their email address on the Oceania website.

Thankx for everyone's theories.

We do not sell guest email or home addresses to anyone. Privacy is paramount.

KSK

KSK,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I'm very glad to hear that.

It must have been just a coincidence and Oceania appeared the easy scapegoat due to the close timing.

I'm looking forward to our first O cruise next fall.

Archived