Using a TA for first time

myheart53

[quote name='myheart53']We are using a local TA for our upcoming trip. Is it a red flag when they do not know what a upsell is? I asked them if HA had offered us an upgrade or upsell and they asked me what an upsell was? I then explained.[/QUOTE]

Not a good sign but then again it could be they call it something different. Now if once you explained and they still didn't understand then I'd head for the closest exit. :)

[quote name='myheart53']Thank you Randyk47....I think they understood. I most likely will not use a TA again though, too many mistakes have been made up to this point. We have an upcoming trip to plan so I think I will do it on my own.[/QUOTE]

I use Internet TA's but strictly to book the cruise and get a discount. Personally I can't imagine we'd ever just call a TA and say we wanted to go to wherever and let them make all the arrangements. We're too hands-on and we actually like to do our own research and planning.

I like to research, have a lot of time to do so. I dislike having to depend on someone else to do something for me. Giving up control is not a good feeling. I thought we would receive a discount or perks by using a TA but they only offered what HA was publishing on their website. I was told that HA does NOT offer discounts to TA's to pass on to their clients. I also got the feeling I was "bothering" my TA by asking them questions. So will go on my own next time. I have read on here about people having great TAs but I really don't know how to find one.

[quote name='Randyk47']I use Internet TA's but strictly to book the cruise and get a discount. Personally I can't imagine we'd ever just call a TA and say we wanted to go to wherever and let them make all the arrangements. We're too hands-on and we actually like to do our own research and planning.[/quote]
Same here. Back in olden times ;), we pretty much had to trust our store-front TA to do a good job - and he did mostly. But, we never really knew if we were getting the best, or close to the best, deal. We are also hands on, computer oriented people, so we research everything to death. The online TA has worked out great for us. I only check the HAL site to compare the prices I get through our TA.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]We are very fortunate to have a TA that we have used for over 24 years.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]BUT -- I still do all the hunting for cruises and the little details like what cabin what we want.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]She makes the booking. And she knows as so well that she doesn't even have to ask us what dining time we want, etc. She takes care of the medical form that has to be filled out for each cruise, etc.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='myheart53']We are using a local TA for our upcoming trip. Is it a red flag when they do not know what a upsell is? I asked them if HA had offered us an upgrade or upsell and they asked me what an upsell was? I then explained.[/QUOTE]

Yep! I have a problem using TAs that know less then us (we have spent more then 3 years on cruise ships) as they are often just "order takers." If you are choosing this agency because they happen to be local, or perhaps owned by a friend, then this is not the way to find a good cruise agency. Over the years, and after booking more then 80 cruises, we have finally determined that the best deals, and the most knowledge, actually seems to come from the large (well known and reputable) online agencies that specialize in cruises. Many of these agencies will book more cruises in one day then most local TAs do in a year! As a result, not only do they have lots of knowledge...but they also will often have contacts and some clout with the cruise lines.

So here is hint. Most of the larger TAs will offer various "enhancements" or sometimes price reductions that make using them worth while. For example, we are currently looking at a long HA cruise (over 50 days) and one particular agency is offering nearly $2000 in on board credits that would not be available if we booked directly with the cruise line or with most smaller local agencies.

Hank

[quote name='myheart53']I like to research, have a lot of time to do so. I dislike having to depend on someone else to do something for me. Giving up control is not a good feeling. I thought we would receive a discount or perks by using a TA but they only offered what HA was publishing on their website. I was told that HA does NOT offer discounts to TA's to pass on to their clients. I also got the feeling I was "bothering" my TA by asking them questions. So will go on my own next time. I have read on here about people having great TAs but I really don't know how to find one.[/QUOTE]

TA's that discount the fares usually do it by rebating part of their commission so HAL is really not involved in that process. There are some good Internet TA's out there but rules here prohibit naming them. On average we get a 10-12% discount either in the form of a reduced fare or an on-board credit.

That's the problem, since we can not name them on here, I am lost to finding a good TA, hate to find out the hard way if they turn out bad...lol. It is also a matter of trust, giving them private information and etc. I did look online at some TA companies but came away not knowing who to choose. I would have never thought to use a TA had it not been from coming on here and reading the great reviews of many who used them.

[quote name='myheart53']That's the problem, since we can not name them on here, I am lost to finding a good TA, hate to find out the hard way if they turn out bad...lol. It is also a matter of trust, giving them private information and etc. I did look online at some TA companies but came away not knowing who to choose. I would have never thought to use a TA had it not been from coming on here and reading the great reviews of many who used them.[/quote]
Shoot me an email at [email]mytravel@ussmills.com[/email] and I'll tell you who we use. It's not a recommendation - just a starting point to explore. But, we have booked many cruises with them.

Hi
I am booked on oasis of the seas Ta October 2014,can anyone tell me if there is a speciality restaurant available for suite guests to have breakfast and lunch,instead of the windjammer?.Any help would be appreciated.

[quote name='Vegas29']Hi
I am booked on oasis of the seas Ta October 2014,can anyone tell me if there is a speciality restaurant available for suite guests to have breakfast and lunch,instead of the windjammer?.Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

Respectfully, I believe you may have clicked on the wrong forum....I believe you may find your answers quicker on the RCI forum.....this is the HAL forum. However, maybe some HAL cruisers who have been on that ship can answer your question.

[quote name='Randyk47']Not a good sign but then again it could be they call it something different. Now if once you explained and they still didn't understand then I'd head for the closest exit. :)[/QUOTE]

As a newbie I like to know for myself the difference. I do know an upgrade, just as it states " upgrade" but I need help with the upsell , please explain

Archived