MSC deck 1 ocean view vs Costa Samsara inside

pmacher61

I'm taking a solo cruise in So America next spring. I have a choice between a 20 night Costa Samsara inside cabin (150 sq ft) on the Favolosa ($3800) and a 22 night MSC ocean view cabin (183 sq ft) on the Poesia ($3400). The ports are no major difference though I would prefer slightly to disembark in Kiel (MSC) than in Savona (Costa).

The Samara cabin (midship, deck 10) allows direct and free access to spa facilities that are on a pay for basis for non-Samsara cabins. Two free spa treatments (massage) are included in the price. Most importantly, it allows free access to open seating in the Samsara restaurant (non-Samsara have to pay) for all meals. It also has some upgraded amenities like special bedding, a minibar, robe, slippers, toiletries, etc.

The MSC ocean view cabin is $3400. It is roomier but is extremely forward - second most forward cabin on deck 1, the bottom deck. The MSC cruise is 2 nights longer and cheaper, but I would be subject to the discipline of the MDR schedule and cuisine unless I opted to pay extra for a special dining venue.

Which is the better option?

I'd go for the Samsara inside even though I can't immagine being closed in without sunshine for such a long time. The Samsara advantages are many. In the restaurant you can enter any time you want within operating hours for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and if you don't like what's on the samsara menu, you can pick and choose with the regular MDR menu as well.

Here's my take on it.

I loved the Samasara concept, both the spa access and the separate dining room. However as a solo not so friendly as they are mainly tables of 2 and you end up on your own mostly compared to being seated at the same table with the traditional dining in MDR. I found the Favolosa a bit too garish for my tastes -too many patterns and colour schemes in the one are yet it managed to still be dark and dingy in places. Watch cabin location with samsara insides. I thought I was ok where I was but didn't realise that although on a high deck, my wall was against the 6 or 7 tier atrium which worked as a fantastic sound tunnel from the noise from the atrium bar. Back deck on the ship is a nice quiet place in the morning for breakfast. Although the buffet was not as extensive there, there was a bar right alongside, so I could order a fresh squeezed juice and cappuccino whilst I was picking my food.

The Musica class ships are definitely far more elegant and attractive than the Joe Farcus designed Favolosa. I think music quality is better too. The a la carte restaurant is far superior to the Costa equivalent in terms of ambience, presentation, food quality and service.

Given your choice, I'd probably opt for samsara but as long as it wasn't beside that noisy atrium.

I'm taking a solo cruise in So America next spring. I have a choice between a 20 night Costa Samsara inside cabin (150 sq ft) on the Favolosa ($3800) and a 22 night MSC ocean view cabin (183 sq ft) on the Poesia ($3400). The ports are no major difference though I would prefer slightly to disembark in Kiel (MSC) than in Savona (Costa).

The Samara cabin (midship, deck 10) allows direct and free access to spa facilities that are on a pay for basis for non-Samsara cabins. Two free spa treatments (massage) are included in the price. Most importantly, it allows free access to open seating in the Samsara restaurant (non-Samsara have to pay) for all meals. It also has some upgraded amenities like special bedding, a minibar, robe, slippers, toiletries, etc.

The MSC ocean view cabin is $3400. It is roomier but is extremely forward - second most forward cabin on deck 1, the bottom deck. The MSC cruise is 2 nights longer and cheaper, but I would be subject to the discipline of the MDR schedule and cuisine unless I opted to pay extra for a special dining venue.

PM, I can't comment on the differences but I did some checking and the price that you have been quoted for MSC is very high, does the price include flights?

The 20 night repo on Poesia - not quite sure where the additional two nights come from - I found the following.

Cruise(primeiro) co uk has a B2 cabin (one wake available) at USD equivalent 1,950.00 and your OV1 cabin is USD equivalent 1,739.00 - these are single prices.

PM, I can't comment on the differences but I did some checking and the price that you have been quoted for MSC is very high, does the price include flights?

The 20 night repo on Poesia - not quite sure where the additional two nights come from - I found the following.

Cruise(primeiro) co uk has a B2 cabin (one wake available) at USD equivalent 1,950.00 and your OV1 cabin is USD equivalent 1,739.00 - these are single prices.

Quite right. The MSc cabin is a balcony. My confusion. April 20 out of Bs As to Kiel ...22 nights . Single pax in a B2 (10195 - not too far aft) $3397.

So it is an MSC balcony for 22 nights at 3400 or the Samsara inside for 3800.

I asked this question (properly identifying the Poesia balcony) on the Ask a Cruise Question thread and someone suggested that as a single pax on a TA, a balcony is not such a big deal.

I'm inclined to do the Costa. I 'll have to postpone my revisit to MSC for a later date. Perhaps when I get to Italy.

THanks all for your suggestions.

I guess it depends on your preference, to me, traveling on TA, even as a solo cruise, I would still like a balcony. Kinda my soul Paradise. Personally also rated my sole MSC experience over Costa.

But, like what was mentioned by AmoMondo, so long as the Samsara cabin location is okayish, it has many advantages.

The price for MSC sounds crazy to me.

The Favolosa is almost a real cruise ship.

This is the best derivative of the Carnival Destiny class.

Sadly she has just two separate parts of promenade deck, not the whole one - very good quality though.

The front observation decks and aft pool decks are great.

The huge problem of Costa is terrible food. Terrible.

You are lucky to be in Samsara - the only way to survive on Costa.

Samsara restaurant cannot fully compensate the lack of the buffet, but it's at least OK.

Samsara spa hydropool is not the best one, but otherwise Samsara is excellent. The service is excellent.

Decor -yes, I agree. OMG. I simply did not pay attention.

The sea and the sun were beautiful...

Well, Samsara is way too overpriced but if to make a choice - Favolosa wins hands down.

I've just returned from a lovely cruise on the Poesia in the Baltic Sea. The interior of the ship is very nice, the atmosphere, food and not at least the crew made this a very nice cruise experience. For your information the buffet is now open 20 hours a day.

I have not been onboard Favolosa but from the photos I've seen the Poesia is a MUCH better ship regarding the interior.

Here are some photos, note the very nice promenadeck.

DSC01823_zps38fdaa93.jpg

DSC01824_zps55dac311.jpg

DSC01759_zpse4806e76.jpg

DSC01538_zps7fbbac89.jpg

Balcony cabin on deck 10.

DSC01531_zps78d43cba.jpg

Just feel free to ask should you have any questions about the ship :)

Thanks for the nice photos.

I know the Poesia very well.

The Poesia has U-shape promenade that is a big plus over Favolosa that has only two separate parts on both sides.

The Poesia lacks separate aft pool for adults, front observation decks is way better on Favolosa.

The Poesia has nothing to compare with Samsara.

All balconies on Favolosa have good views, no obstructions (Poesia).

The Favolosa has the largest ocean view cabins at sea.

We all know what food is on MSC, so "good food" (forgive me)

adds little.

That said, Costa food is still the worst at sea.

There is no way I personally would take a TA on either of them.

The Pesia is a kind of a nice ship (see promenade) but it lacks class - very modest in comfort and food, "bland" ship.

When you see Poesia on the ships parade in FLL - the difference is striking. She is like a poor relative at the distant end of a dinner table.

We notice that every time we board or disembark other ships in FLL.

We could have easily try it but... other options are so much better there.

The Favolosa is larger, more crowded at times and ... more festive.

Archived