Riviera Venice to Istanbul to Athens

Emperor Norton

I have two voyages planned on Riviera during the first five months of 2014. I sailed on Marina in 2011 and enjoyed the experience immensely, although there were some areas which I felt could use improvement, including the service experience and the comfort level of the furniture in the public spaces. I mentioned those in my extensive comments on my comment card.

Therefore, I have read this thread and very much appreciate the lovely photos. But I do not recall ever reading such consistently snarky photo captions/comments. Perhaps there was something you enjoyed on your cruise which you may choose to share with us?? So far, all you have mentioned about your onboard experience are the negatives.

whereas I am from lowly Newport Beach, California which has some very fine dining. I found that the Riviera met or exceeded my specifications. I felt that food on The Riviera was one of its strong suits. Perhaps Mr. Baychilla eats somewhat differently than I or my DH. We loved the food. We did breakfast in The Terrace and the poached eggs were always perfect. I must say that I never ate in the GDR and I don't like any GDR food. The specialty restaurants cook fresh food as ordered, not mass cooked food for loads of people. That may be the difference.

That being said, I am loving this post and would like to thank Baychilla for doing such a good job. Please continue to entertain us.

As all I like your pictures, I have sailed on the Riviera and was impressed by both the food and décor, sorry to see you are not. Since all of this could not of been a total surprise, WHY ARE YOU TAKING THIS TRIP?

The food and some of their employees did take me by total surprise. Also this trip is over.

Koper, Slovenia

An interesting mix of an old town with a central shop lined street with a modern new waterfront filled with seafood restaurants and cafes. It was a relatively quick walk from the ship to the old town.

DSC_1108-XL.jpg

A sign you're headed in the right direction towards old town

DSC_1111-XL.jpg

Welcome to the large square in old town

DSC_1115-XL.jpg

There's also a nice tower to let you know you're there

DSC_1118-XL.jpg

It was probably one of the least crowded towns we'd see

DSC_1120-XL.jpg

The main drag in old town

DSC_1123-XL.jpg

I will post what I really did like (when I come to it) but I'm posting this in chronological order and at this point I was underwhelmed.

Koper, Slovenia

If you took a side street

DSC_1126-XL.jpg

You could wind up at a not quite dead end

DSC_1128-XL.jpg

A midst some cafes

DSC_1133-XL.jpg

Or perhaps in a more residential area

1373878313422-XL.jpg

Continuing down you see that copyright laws aren't strongly enforced

DSC_1140-XL.jpg

And that the locals train their parrots to sharpen knives

DSC_1143-XL.jpg

Upon reaching the waterfront, you see about what you'd expect

DSC_1146-XL.jpg

There was a little shaded area with benches surrounding this interesting dandelion looking fountain

DSC_1152-XL.jpg

Video of fountain (goes to 1080)

Then it was back to the ship where you got a good view of the newer residential section of town

DSC_1165-XL.jpg

On the ship I had my first Sam Adams via Israel

IMG_20130715_120150-XL.jpg

Koper, Slovenia

Lunch today started with a chorizo and cheese quesadilla. The surprising thing was that the chorizo had some heat to it, usually cruise food is bland; so that was a nice surprise

DSC_1168-XL.jpg

The tortilla soup was decent, aside from not having real tortillas in it:confused:

DSC_1170-XL.jpg

The entree was roasted pork with BBQ sauce, onion rings and mashed potatoes. This onion rings were good, the pork cooked correctly and the mashed potatoes nice (but not Francks). The BBQ sauce tasted like Kraft which let the dish down.

DSC_1173-XL.jpg

Dessert was a chocolate safari which I thought was good

DSC_1175-XL.jpg

DSC_1176-XL.jpg

Koper, Slovenia

Penthouse suites and above come with a butler. One of the butlers jobs was to deliver the early evening canapes. Overall these were unimpressive, too cold/stale - we ended up skipping them after the 4th day or so. My biggest disappointment with them were the "Texas wings" that came cold and without a hint of spice (contrast these with the wings they serve at the returning cruiser reception which a. were warm and b. had a wee bit of heat - those were good).

DSC_1187-XL.jpg

Dinner that night started with Maui Red Onion Soup - which was nice if not overly laced with olive oil

DSC_1191-XL.jpg

Followed by Iberco pork ragout (blasphemy, all you could taste was the wine rather than let that amazing pork shine through)

DSC_1193-XL.jpg

The entree was listed on the menu with the undercooked warning (eg: you should be able to order it how you like it - same as steak) so I tried to order it rare. No dice. It seems the chefs on this ship were not trusting enough in their duck supplier or simply lacked the skill to properly cook a duck. Taking a chance I went with their version of duck a l'orange. Dry dead, yet the skin was flabby. Great.:rolleyes: The croquettes however were quite nice.

DSC_1194-XL.jpg

For contrast read this article - note the duck is cooked medium rare

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/making-a-true-duck-a-lorange/?_r=0

Dessert again was good

DSC_1198-XL.jpg

What I learned tonight by watching others in the GDR is this - there are no dress codes. At least the staff can't be bothered to enforce them. Jeans, t-shirts, Tevas, shorts, it's all ok.

Dining rooms like to make random substitutions to plates, what the menu says you'll be getting may not conform to what you actually get.

On a bright side, Oceania does something that I haven't seen on any other cruise line that I thought was a great idea. Our CD Leslie Jon did trivia twice a day. Once in the early afternoon and once around 2030.

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Breakfast was a croissant and an omelet. After having seen too many poached eggs sacraficed at the altar of hard boiled I tried the omelet. This was the most consistently (and correctly) cooked breakfast item and would become my go-to. In the name of science I tried to dissect a hash brown puck but I think it had sentience and ran away.

DSC_1200-XL.jpg

DSC_1203-XL.jpg

We got into port around 12pm which I wasn't thrilled with (hottest part of the day, everyone should be up and about at that time).

There was an interesting little housing area directly across from the cruise terminal

DSC_1205-XL.jpg

We were docked closer than the Silversea ship

DSC_1204-XL.jpg

The port offered a small collection of shops for crew that weren't allowed to leave the port area

DSC_1208-XL.jpg

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Welcome

DSC_1221-XL.jpg'

If you need water you can use one of the communal fountains

DSC_1224-XL.jpg

Shade could be found under awnings

DSC_1225-XL.jpg

Or between buildings

DSC_1226-XL.jpg

Or an iron gate if you're small enough

DSC_1230-XL.jpg

I assume this was the morning farmers market that they were still setting up

DSC_1233-XL.jpg

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Red Ginger

The amuse bouche here were edamame beans

DSC_1273-XL.jpg

I found

more interesting

They did have a tea menu unique to Red Ginger, as well as some Asian beers and Sakes not available elsewhere on the ship (who knew Sapporo, Tsing-tao, etc... were so hard to come by). The downside being the beers and sakes couldn't be purchased using the alcohol package.

DSC_1276-XL.jpg

The Red Ginger carpaccio - this was a pleasant surprise and tasted of more than just tweaked traditional carpaccio

DSC_1277-XL.jpg

The spicy shrimp - the shrimp were beyond their expiry date the first segment and fine the second. This was my favorite dish here (when the shrimp were good)

DSC_1278-XL.jpg

The lemongrass/chicken soup was the same as you can get in any Thai restaurant.

DSC_1280-XL.jpg

The watermelon duck salad while interesting isn't something I'd order again (though I'd recommend ordering it once to try - you may just like it)

DSC_1282-XL.jpg

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Red Ginger

A curry chicken dish that I'd ask them to put the spurs on. Instead of making the base curry hotter they dumped a few tbsp of weak chili oil on top

DSC_1283-XL.jpg

What can this be?

DSC_1286-XL.jpg

The Miso Glazed seabass. This was cooked to perfection, however the glaze was all you could taste:(

DSC_1287-XL.jpg

A side of fried rice with geometric peas

DSC_1289-XL.jpg

Full Gallery for Dubrovnik: Mt. Flakey

Full Gallery for Koper: Riviera docked in Koper

Archived