Riviera Venice to Istanbul to Athens

Emperor Norton

I must say that I never ate in the GDR and I don't like any GDR food.

I'm a little confused by this statement. If you never ate there how do you know you don't like the food?

I've enjoyed the pictures, I especially love the wood on the piano.

As we know food is subjective so I usually ignore most people's opinion of the food and look forward to deciding myself. With 26 days coming up on Riveria I'm sure I'll get plenty of opportunities to do that.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

In Kotor we had a cooking class, it was dinner party items. I think the cooking school is a great idea. It would be nice if they'd offer 101 level courses like "how to correctly hold and use a knife" etc...

The class was a quick run through of how to make certain dishes. The interesting bits were when Chef Kelly introduced potential cross contamination into the olive oil and when she got mad at a guest for pointing out that our Mise wasn't properly set up. Due to a sufficient number of pot stickers failing to perform as expected (:confused:) the entire class fee was refunded which was a surprisingly nice gesture.

Something the chef mentioned was that if you're in a restaurant and ask for an oil and vinegar dressing, if they bring you the dual cruets send them back and ask them to emulsify the dressing. Oddly in the Terrace cafe they have the oil/vinegar holders and in Toscana the balsamic vinaigrette has long since seen the oil and vinegar go their separate ways prior to service.

Make sure you can stand for the duration of the class as there really isn't a seating area. Also guests that weren't in the class weren't allowed in until the class was over, and then it was a quick picture then out - so the disturbances mentioned on these forums in the past seem to have been eliminated.

I have a question, did you find anything at all on the ship acceptable to you? I don't think I have ever read a more negative review of everything you ate or experienced on the ship. I appears to me you aren't happy if you can't find something to complain about, whether it be the food, staff and lets not forget about the toilet complaints.

I definitely suggest you speak to your yacht owner good friend Elmer and limit your cursing to his yacht.

I have a question, did you find anything at all on the ship acceptable to you? I don't think I have ever read a more negative review of everything you ate or experienced on the ship. I appears to me you aren't happy if you can't find something to complain about, whether it be the food, staff and lets not forget about the toilet complaints.

I definitely suggest you speak to your yacht owner good friend Elmer and limit your cursing to his yacht.

I have mentioned things I've liked and you seem to have glossed over those bits.

Corfu, Greece

Get off the ship, head to the first shuttle bus that will take us to the second shuttle bus and what do I see docked closest to the port entrance/exit?

DSC_1420-XL.jpg

After hopping off the port shuttle bus and walking out of the port I caught the cruise line provided bus which drops you off in a scenic/historical area. I opted to tour the old fort/museum.

The bus leaves you a few yards from

DSC_1373-XL.jpg

The forts canal looked like a nice place to keep a small boat

DSC_1376-XL.jpg

Welcome to the fortseum

DSC_1378-XL.jpg

I don't think the moat-like area had enough muck or mythical beasts

DSC_1379-XL.jpg

There were a few bits of somewhat aged/damaged items out in the open

DSC_1382-XL.jpg

Corfu, Greece

A large open area with gun pits on one side, a church at one end and the hill/lighthouse on another side

DSC_1386-XL.jpg

Stairs leading up the hill to a large crucifix and lighthouse

DSC_1387-XL.jpg

Im not sure what the use of this was, perhaps a holding area for carrier pigeons?

DSC_1388-XL.jpg

The clock/bell tower near the base of the hill

DSC_1389-XL.jpg

The crucifix and lighthouse at the top of the hill

DSC_1391-XL.jpg

Crucifix/lighthouse at the top of the hill with a modern/old style church in the foreground

DSC_1392-XL.jpg

This, IMO, is an absolutely marvelous thread. The photos are sensational. And your commentary on the food is fascinating--the good, the bad and the ugly. Thanks for going to the trouble. We'll be doing a similar itinerary on the Seabourn Spirit next year. Can't wait!

Corfu, Greece

The harbor next to the fort appeared nice and colorful

DSC_1394-XL.jpg

DSC_1396-XL.jpg

The newer build, older design church

DSC_1398-XL.jpg

If you stare too long under the hot sun that cliff can look like it's comprised of scream masks

DSC_1399-XL.jpg

A horse driven carriage making way for one of those new horseless carriages

DSC_1414-XL.jpg

Hello again

DSC_1418-XL.jpg

Apparently you aren't thrilled with the food you have had to date on Oceania. Out of curiousity (bearing in mind food is subjective) which ship do you consider having the best cuisine? Thanks.

Ill let it slip that two meals on this ship were excellent;) (I haven't gotten there yet). I found when things went right on Silversea their food was good, ditto Regent. Seabourn and Crystal were the most consistent. Also Seabourn gives guests a large amount of latitude with special orders so long as you give them 24hrs notice.

Corfu, Greece

Tonight dinner was in

DSC_1435-XL.jpg

We dined with four others, two from our trivia team and couple I'd met earlier in the cruise. Out of 18 dishes that were delivered to our table, most came defective in some way (cook temp wrong, service temp wrong, seasoning borked). Oddly even though the issues were commented on people didn't kick their dishes back.

Early bird gets the worm for seating choices

DSC_1432-XL.jpg

DSC_1433-XL.jpg

Amuse bouche was a fried spinach ravioli that could've used some more time draining

DSC_1434-XL.jpg

I had the worlds most colorful crab cake which was wrapped in spinach a very different take on the dish

DSC_1436-XL.jpg

The cheese tart with contrasting sauces was rich

DSC_1437-XL.jpg

It sure sounds like you would have loved to jump ship to the Seabourn if you could have :D

Of course, to each their own, but I would never trade an O class ship for any Seabourn ship for any reason, the food being the least likely reason for sure. One Seabourn cruise was just right for me (The Seabourn Square being the only highlight).

Appreciate your great pictures and feel sorry that you found so little to enjoy on your cruise.

Corfu, Greece

Jacques

Serving the pumpkin soup from a pumpkin was a nice service presentation

DSC_1438-XL.jpg

The Iberico pork chop. My favorite chunk of dead critter on the ship, after the Kobe beef.

DSC_1439-XL.jpg

The fries were cold and soggy, not what I would expect from a signature restaurant

DSC_1440-XL.jpg

The dessert special tonight was Crepes Suzette which would have been even better had they done them tableside

DSC_1441-XL.jpg

Santorini, Greece

A tender port. Something Oceania did that I've never seen before was time things so that at the moment they arrived in port they'd also be clear of customs. That worked out about as expected. It didn't. Tender ports were the ultimate in hurry up and wait - I'd also never seen tenders quite so crowded. On other lines the lifeboat/tenders have two capacities listed, one for lifeboat use the other for tender use. On Oceania I never saw those numbers but would guestimate that the loads were closer to lifeboat than tender.

Welcome to Santorini, please hurry up and wait

IMG_20130719_135416-XL.jpg

Once off the ship and on the Island I noticed that once again the primo spot went to

DSC_1451-XL.jpg

At this point the island wasn't too crowded

DSC_1453-XL.jpg

DSC_1454-XL.jpg

DSC_1462-XL.jpg

It was only about a 25 minute wait to catch a gondola to the top but I did have to wait in line next to these toxin factories. YUCK.

DSC_1459-XL.jpg

Santorini, Greece

Instead of sailing away we stayed anchored. Tonight there was going to be a deck party. From what I gather it's up to the CD whether or not this happens. I guess the crowd on this segment, even with all the children partied enough to make hosting the event worthwhile.

Tonight would be my first dinner in La Reserve. We were having the Connoisseur menu this evening. This would turn out to be far and away the best meal on the ship and what in terms of thought, execution and service Id been expecting from the other restaurants.

Supposedly you need a minimum of eight people for these dinners to happen. At the last minute two cancelled so there were only six of us, four that had been on the ship and two that joined in Santorini and were investigating chartering the ship next year for a Silicon Valley tech company.

Finally made it in for a meal

DSC_1531-XL.jpg

DSC_1526-XL.jpg

DSC_1527-XL.jpg

DSC_1534-XL.jpg

DSC_1535-XL.jpg

...and pink champagne on ice...

DSC_1530-XL.jpg

Santorini, Greece

La Reserve, Connoisseurs Menu

Perlita Caviar d’Aquitaine with Cream of Sea Urchin

DSC_1542-XL.jpg

Hoisin Sautéed Duck Foie Gras with Pecan and Cucumber Salad over Riesling Infused Watermelon

DSC_1543-XL.jpg

Culatello Gran Riserva and Smoked Ricotta in Tricorne Ravioli with Pumpkin Velouté

DSC_1545-XL.jpg

Butter Poached Brittany Blue Lobster with Vegetable Nage and Beetroot Cress

DSC_1548-XL.jpg

Decanter that appears to have been stylized after the mask of a plague doctor

DSC_1551-XL.jpg

Seared Kobe Beef Sous Vide with Valrhona Sauce, Franck’s Mashed Potatoes and Edamame Beans

DSC_1552-XL.jpg

Archived