Jogging track on Star Princes?

zetalove08

I have a question about the jogging track. I read on here that there IS a jogging track, but it's kind of a strange set up, and it doesn't go all the way around and goes up and down stairs. Has anyone successfully ran around it? Do you know how far one lap is? Also, is there a restriction on hours you are allowed to run on the track?

I have a marathon in January, and while I haven't officially started training and would be okay if I didn't really run too hard on this trip, I want to at least try to maintain my current mileage (and help burn off all the food!! lol). :)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!

If you have opted for the treadmill, are their nice big windows at least in the gym so you don't feel trapped in? I hate to waste any time missing the alaska scenery!!

I have a question about the jogging track. I read on here that there IS a jogging track, but it's kind of a strange set up, and it doesn't go all the way around and goes up and down stairs. Has anyone successfully ran around it? Do you know how far one lap is? Also, is there a restriction on hours you are allowed to run on the track?

I have a marathon in January, and while I haven't officially started training and would be okay if I didn't really run too hard on this trip, I want to at least try to maintain my current mileage (and help burn off all the food!! lol). :)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!

If you have opted for the treadmill, are their nice big windows at least in the gym so you don't feel trapped in? I hate to waste any time missing the alaska scenery!!

No jogging track on the Star. The Star has a 360 degree Promenade on decks 7 & 8. To make the full loop you must go up the forward stairs to deck 8, around the bow and then back down the stairs. The Promenade is narrow at the stern, and you can't easily pass walkers there. It is difficult to run/jog around the promenade, unless you get out there very early in the morning. By 8am the deck is busy with walkers and it is hard to get around them. People walk side by side, there are chairs where people sit, and also standing smokers. Sometimes late afternoon is less busy. The promenade can also be wet.

That's a bummer. I normally run though around 6:30am or 7. Do you think if I went that early I'd be able to run? Any idea on length of the loop?

Yuu should be able to run a 6:30am. Be aware that sometimes the forward deck 8 portion of the Promenade is closed off for navigational or safety reasons.

Approximately 3 laps to the mile.

Treadmills in the fitness center face outward.

Take a look at the ship's port times and your tour plans. You may be able to get a run in on land while the ship is in a few of the ports.

SKnight is correct on the promenade deck.

On the sea days (the second and sixth day on the way to Victoria) they will close the front of the ship until later in the morning so you basically will be walking from one end of the ship to the other without going all the way around. Jogging works early but when it's crowded it's tough to get a good run in.

Starting the third day of your cruise you will be sailing on the inside so the deck will be open and jogging is not a problem.

When you are in Skagway they dock early, around six so you can get off the ship and get a good run in.

You will really like the Star. It is our favorite ship!

Happy Cruising

John

Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate the info.

I'm SO excited for this trip, but I wont lie a little bummed to not get a run in the cool alaska air on deck. ;)

I would run in Skagway, but we're doing the white pass railway right at 7:30 so I'm nervous about being about to get off, run, get back, shower, and be ready to go at 7:30... just seems like it'd be really pushing it. Maybe in Juneau I'll have more time! :)

No matter what, it's going to be an awesome trip!!! We plan to do some hiking trails in Juneau and Ketchikan so that'll still be a workout. :)

3 more days!! Eek!

I did a 10 day Mexico cruise last October and a 15 day Hawaii cruise last November on the Star while training for the California International Marathon in early December.

I started out running the Promenade Deck early morning, but as other posters said, the stairs were often closed and the deck was wet and slippery. Also, crew members would congregate at the stern for their smoke break.

I ended up running on the treadmills, usually 90 minutes to 2 hours. Nobody seemed to notice or mind. After the first day or two at sea, the treadmills weren't crowded. Often, while waiting for the gym to open, I would run up and down the stairs.

Even though i did ok in a very wet and stormy marathon, I will think twice before going on a cruise that close to the run.

Good luck on your marathon and enjoy your cruise.

You can run on the top deck also. The prom deck is about 3/8th of a mile each lap. I found a good sized loop on the upper decks that is about the same and it does include stairs (more if you want). Basically run from the area in front of the workout room all the way back, up the stairs to the bar under the skywalk to skywalkers and then back forward. If the front is closed due to being at sea, just take a detour up the "round stairs" forward of the neptune pool and run almost to the spa area. I like this run because there are a lot of left-right movements around the windbreaks and allows you to work your ankles a little bit more than a conventional running track. Provided you arent pulling into port you won't run into a lot of people. THe only bottle necks are some of the stairs.

Archived