Newbie question about Allure of the seas.

Hi guys,

I'm having a blast reading this site and trying to investigate our cruise choices for 2014.

I have a quick question. We've decided on the Eastern Caribbean route

and the Allure of the seas offers this route during the summer.

My concern is that with 5000 souls on board it will seem like we're sardines.

Has anyone sailed this ship? What were your perceptions? My two sons are 19 & 21 and it seems like RC has a lot to do.

With that many people are there huge lines every where? getting food? stuff like that.

If this question has been asked a million times please forgive me. I'm still working on the search feature.

Hi guys,

I'm having a blast reading this site and trying to investigate our cruise choices for 2014.

Has anyone sailed this ship? What were your perceptions? My two sons are 19 & 21 and it seems like RC has a lot to do.

With that many people are there huge lines every where? getting food? stuff like that.

If this question has been asked a million times please forgive me. I'm still working on the search feature.

The Allure has lots of people on it, but it is a BIG ship. Lots of spaces, lots of things for the people to do. There are MANY things going on at the same time, and people are not all in the same place.

On sea days, the pools can be a bit crowded, but never so much that you can't find a chair. It may not be the one you want, but you'll find a chair, there are lots of them.

On port days, getting off the ship can be a bit of a line, but thats because many people want to get into port. If you can choose an activity that isn't at peak departure time, you can avoid the crowds. Or, stay on the ship and enjoy a nearly vacant HUGE resort!

No one should tell you there will not be any crowds or lines. There may be. But that will be the case nearly anywhere you go, anywhere in the world.

Embarkation is a snap, debarkation is really very good.

As for lines at food, the video boards on the walls show you how busy each location is, so you can make choices to avoid a crowd if you like. We stood in a short line to get into the MDR a few times, but it moved quickly. You may wait a bit in line to get into a show, but that depends on how bad you want a certain seat.

We are a bit older than 20-ish, so not sure about the kids, but I can't imagine they won't have a great time too. Lots of things to do on the ship, and off the ship too.

Don't let the size scare you off. You won't be alone, but we only felt crowded after shows let out and around events that drew lots of people, like parades. Otherwise, it was like going to any resort.

The many venues on board the Oasis class ships were designed with the passenger load in mind and is well balanced as a result. In fact we have felt more crowded on smaller ships than with Oasis. Pre-reserving the shows assures no overcrowding and gives you the opportunity to choose when you want to see a given show.

We never experienced any issues finding a chair at the pools as there are five main pools (including the Solarium) to choose from and they are themed (kids / sports / beach / main / Solarium) to attract different interests to each.

There are so many different activities and venues that cater to a wide range of ages that it is unlikely that anyone in your group will ever be lacking something to do.

And to be clear, it is 6,000+ on board.....

We have sailed Oasis (Allure's sister ship) and loved it. I had read on cruise critic that it felt less crowded than the Freedom (I think it holds 4200) and had a hard time believing it. But it really does (IMO) there are more eating venues so everyone is not at the Windjammer or Sorrentos and Cafe Promenade. and the promenade is so much larger that it really doesn't feel as crowded. Our sons loved the ship and all the activities they have (flow rider, rock climbing, shows, mini golf, karaoke, volleyball in the pool and ice skating. My husband would never go on a cruise because he thought he would be bored. So for our 25th Anniversary I got him to go on one and we have cruised every year since. We booked our next cruise while on the first one and included the kids. Be warned....It is addicting!! :p Happy Cruising

We truly did feel as if the lines and crowding were less on Allure than on any ship we have sailed so far. As others have pointed out, the design of this ship is wonderful and the crowds were distributed well. My husband and I used the "Restaurant Availability" feature on the televisions and at the elevator banks for breakfast & lunch each day, which meant we never waited in a line for those meals. Flexibility is the key here. We went to eating venues we had not tried before because of availability and had some great experiences. For dinner we had Traditional Dining or we had Specialty Dining reservations so again, no problems.

The biggest change we have found from the other ships is the elevators. We kept wondering where everyone else was! On other ships trying to get an elevator can be a real challenge as they are often full and will just pass you by. On the Allure we were often on the elevator by ourselves on an average day, If it was a peak time (like when everyone wanted to get off the ship at the same time for a port) we found since we were on Deck 8, it was better to go UP in order to go DOWN and vice versa when the traffic flow was reversed. That only happened twice the entire cruise for us.

I too sailed on Oasis this year. We went the week before Memorial Day, which I presume would be a pretty busy time. I think I did hear our ship was completely full. But honestly, the only time I really noticed big crowds was in the minutes immediately following a show getting out... or maybe the line to get in to the Park Cafe on boarding day.

Interestingly, we delayed sailing on one of these big ships, simply because I too was concerned about the crowding issue. I was very pleasantly surprised. The eastern route is definitely my favorite over the Western.

I say book it, you and your family will enjoy!

Ann

Allure of the Seas was the best cruise my family has been on! You will never know there are over 6,000 people on board, RCI has done an AMAZING job with spreading out the crowds. I just wrote a review, link in my signature. I am 18 so similar to your kids age and I had a terrific time! Easy to meet people and there is SO much to do its crazy.

The pools were a little crowded on sea days but you could always find a seat. Sometimes there would be a line to get into the Windjammer (buffet) but it went fast.

I too sailed on Oasis this year. We went the week before Memorial Day, which I presume would be a pretty busy time. I think I did hear our ship was completely full. But honestly, the only time I really noticed big crowds was in the minutes immediately following a show getting out... or maybe the line to get in to the Park Cafe on boarding day.

Interestingly, we delayed sailing on one of these big ships, simply because I too was concerned about the crowding issue. I was very pleasantly surprised. The eastern route is definitely my favorite over the Western.

I say book it, you and your family will enjoy!

Ann

That is so true. I had forgotten about that. There was a huge crowd for the Park Cafe on boarding day. Apparently the secret is out! I am more inclined to look for an alternative on boarding day when we board the Oasis in 2015. Perhaps the Solarium Cafe or the Wipeout Cafe - even having lunch reservations at Giovanni's, Rita's Cantina or eating at Johnny Rockets would be a better option.

The rest of the cruise went so well it caused me to blank out that one moment where everyone felt like they were in the same place. Once cabins opened at 1 PM everyone began to spread out around the ship.

Hi guys,

No, no, a million (6 thousand?) times, no! You will waltz on board as though you and your party got some kind of VIP pass (you haven't) You'll get on board and encounter people and lines everywhere because no one has a cabin to be in yet, so everyone is headed to the same venues. You will have a moment of panic (don't panic!) After you all head to your cabins at 1pm, you will barely see a crowd or an unmanageable line anywhere! It's magic (no its not!) ;)

Once everyone spreads out over the myriad of activities and venues, you will likely ponder- "where have they all gone? Are they still on board?" (They are!)

Here are the only places you might encounter "crowds" (and by crowds, I mean other people in line or moving through a venue slowly- these happen on EVERY cruise, WDW park, St Marks Square etc during tourist season, but less so on these ships which have been better designed to manage the flow of the crowds)

1- sales on the Promenade; people go bananas for this, and it's senseless, the stuff is for sale at Walmart for less- leave the shopping for the foreigners dodging VAT taxes, just stick to the edges, or use the deck above or below to move around, there's still more room on these ships than other ships to move around.

2- parades on the Promenade- if crowds bug you, skip them, or pick a perch above the Promenade by the schooner bar, photo shop or landing near the Diamond lounge

3- lines at lunch on sea days from 12 -2; I never found one of these lines more onerous than the typical line you'd encounter if you go out to lunch at work, and if you a) time shift your meals or b) check the computers on board to see what's crowded before you choose, you can choose a place with no "crowds".

4-re boarding the ship within an hour of leaving port. Of course a bunch of people are coming back at once, but the line always looks worse than it is, it moves quick, we've never taken more than 10 minutes to move through it. (15 minutes if you count the long walks) If it bugs you; get on board sooner.

5- when 1000 people are leaving a theater after a show, everyone stands, and walks, it takes no more than 2 minutes (actually look at your watch, two times around by the second hand) for it to move out into the large venues designed to absorb it, but there are people all standing near each other and walking slowly toward the exits at the same time. If that bugs you, wait 2 minutes (two -3 sweeps of your second hand) and then stand and head out....into the now nearly empty theater.

I am completely anti crowds, and these ships are so much better than anything else on the water for avoiding crowds. Don't fear the size, the amount of passengers, these ships are game changers in how they distribute and manage " crowds"; I was literally unable to move through the Centrum every night on "little" Jewel with half the passengers. Go by actual reviews of people's experiences, not the size of the vessel!

If your only concern about the Allure is the number of passengers, there is no need to be worried!

We sailed at full capacity on the Allure a couple of years ago and if felt less crowded than the Freedom. There are lines at the logical places, you may have to wait for the Zip line or Park Cafe but in my opinion those are worth the wait. Use the channel on the TV to see how crowded food venues are and you may never have to see a line.

Some places attract crowds, like the sales on the Promenade but it's never a madhouse. We frequently found that we'd have places to ourselves. There are so many different things happening that people disperse.

It's a great ship! I can't wait to get back on it in a month.

I'm an Oasis/Allure fanatic and a crowd claustrophobic, so it seems as if these two matters would conflict, but they don't. Oasis and Allure are so big that there are places to go to be absolutely alone such as the wedding chapel, the jazz club, the Viking Lounge much of the time, and so many more places.

The one piece of advice I would give to avoid stand by lines at entertainment venues is to be sure to make reservations in advance. The Comedy Club is small, so it is hard to get in at popular times such as early shows. Be sure to have reservatiosn for that. The Aqua shows are especially popular. To get the best seats and avoid a stand-by line, have reservations for that.

Parades are big crowd drawers. Get there early for a good position or stay away.

Try to get to the Windjammer at "off" hours which would be before most folks eat or later than most folks eat. On Allure, the buffet closes promptly at nine PM and they will not heed your pleas for just five more minutes.

I hope you and your family love Allure as much as I do. Have a wonderful, memorable cruise.

Hi guys,

lines was never an issue the was booked up in oct 2012 when I sailed and no crowd issues but make sure and book all your entertainment in advance you will not want to miss any off the shows you can do so online about 60 days prior to sailing I personally hate crowds and never felt crowded,and yes your teen agers will have the time of their life enjoy

Archived