New to the board.

marsworth75

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Most of the Panama Canal cruises are during the North American winter. We are booked on a b2b (back to back) thru the canal in March on the Island Princess. It is two 15 day cruises. The first from Fort Lauderdale to LA and the second back to Fort Lauderdale. Join us?

We just did a full transit Panama Canal earlier this year. Incredible. There's a really good book about the building of the canal - "Path Between the Seas". I read it before we went and it really gave me an appreciation of what we saw.

The link to my photos is in my signature if you would like a look at what you're in for. Panama Canal starts down towards the bottom of the first page.

You will love a Panama canal cruise. The locks are so interesting and the sea days are so relaxing. I've done the Panama canal cruise twice and would do it again in a heart beat.

On bit of fun advice. I'm not sure if all cruise lines do this, but Crystal has photographers on the locks and they take pictures of the passengers watching from their cabins as we passed through them. Well, one lady (no, not me) went out on her balcony while she was changing clothes, I guess. She had a skirt or pants on and just her bra; how do I know, because we all got to see the pictures of her posted with all the other pictures.

Princesss Cruise Line has some Canal cruises in the fal The partial cruises last 10 or 11 days and they are on the ships Princess had purpose built for canal cruising. They hold fewer passengers and are lovely ships I have been on both of them (Coral and Island). Both are long and narrow. Of course, other lines also do canal cruises but I am slighly prejudiced towards the Princess smaller ships. I think they would be wonderful for an anniversary cruise. Congratulations!

We are starting to plan our first cruise, which will coincide with our 30th wedding anniversary. We are looking at a Panama Canal cruise. Any input or advice would certainly be welcome.

We sailed the Panama Canal on the Island Princess about three years ago. It was a wonderful cruise. We have always had a balcony cabin. My cousin and her husband did the exact same cruise last spring. They did not have a balcony cabin. It was their first cruise. Her husband said he really wished that they had spent the extra on a balcony. We love having a balcony. We don't cruise as often as some on Cruise Critic, we save up so that we can have a cabin that we want. A balcony on the Caribe deck. The balconies are bigger and are half covered half uncovered. What ever cruise, cruise line, or cabin you choose I am sure you will have a great time!

We are starting to plan our first cruise, which will coincide with our 30th wedding anniversary. We are looking at a Panama Canal cruise. Any input or advice would certainly be welcome.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on your 30th!

You will have the option of either entering the Canal and exiting the same way you came in or do a complete Canal transit (all the way through). In 2009 we did a 15 day transit and absolutely loved it. We were on the first leg of a world cruise, embarked in Fort Lauderdale and disembarked in Los Angeles. I would do it again in a heart beat!

The scenery from the ship was phenomenal. I was on deck from dawn (when we entered the canal) to after 6 PM (when we entered the Pacific). Take your sun screen, I forgot to put any on! The ports of call were fascinating too. We really enjoyed the shore excursions in Costa Rica and Guatemala.

I think my most memorable moment occurred on our first formal night. After dinner, we walked hand in hand on deck, I in my tux and her in her gown. The wind was so warm and soft and the moment so romantic. Didn't Bogart have a movie moment like that too?

Many folks recommend taking a short first cruise, in case you find out once you are onboard that you really don't like it. On the other hand, it's only 15 days to do the full transit.

Determine what kind of experience you would like to have before you go and, after research, choose a cruise line that fits your needs. Cruise lines differ in style and amenities and cost. Research your cabin location and style closely (inside, outside ocean view, balcony, suite, etc). Some cabins can be noisy if located under or near things like machinery spaces, dinning room, club, elevator shafts, etc. If you want an outside cabin, not all views from every cabin are equal.

Look at the ship's itinerary and choose an itinerary that, again, fits your needs and that you are comfortable with. Look at the shore excursions that are available and take those that will be fun. For your first cruise, I recommend taking the shore excursions offered through the cruise line. Once you've got a handle on how things work, then you can look at independent shore excursions.

You're traveling to the tropics. Don't forget to talk to your doctor about any recommended inoculations.

Finally, when questions come up, Cruise Critic is a tremendous resource. On my upcoming cruise, I had some questions concerning Montreal, Canada. I went to the Cruse Critic board on Canada, found an active thread on Montreal and posted my questions. They were answered on the SAME DAY!

John

What sort of advice is the OP asking for?

Recommended cruise lines?

Cabin types - must take a balcony for the transit of the panama canal or be prepared to take a seat up top or on the panorama deck

What type of experience are you looking for

What sort of budget

If you can narrow it down to a few cruise lines etc - CC will be able to give you some more information

A great way to celebrate your anniversary - congratulations

Archived