No cabin assignment 24 hours before sailing

I have booked guarantees many times. I am always told I may have to wait until I arrive at the pier to get my assignment. Granted, I have always found out before then, but whenever I book a guarantee, I accept the possibility I will wait until sailing to get a cabin number. If I were the OP, I might be a bit anxious, too, but the OP accepted this possibility (as many of us have) when he/she booked a guarantee.

FWIW, my longest waits for gty assignments have yielded my best upgrades (from W: a crown loft assigned week of sailing and a GS assigned 2 days before sailing). The OP can only expect a JS, but maybe, just maybe the long wait will be well worth it. And the OP will surely have a story to tell; I hope it has a very happy ending.

Go ahead and talk to the agency supervisor; maybe they can find out something reassuring from the cruise line. If not, plaster on a smile, go to the pier as early as you can, and ask the porter to help you with tags; perhaps the number will be on his manifest. If not have him direct you to the appropriate person with authority. Plan to do suite check in as your paperwork says suite guarantee. Expect to have help with your luggage, as every one expects such help.

I see no reason to assume the worst. There as so many innocuous explanations. Royal Caribbean may be shuffling people about today, perhaps filling the last few suites with high level C&A guests. Or maybe somebody had a last minute injury and they are trying to accommodate them in an accessible cabin. Or maybe there is a corporate bigwig or consultant or a make-a-wish child or a VIP who wants to join the sailing if there is a cancellation; if nobody cancels, the OP gets that suite while the other party tries again Sunday for Allure. In any case the cruise line is keeping their options open until the final moment which is their prerogative with a W booking.

My fingers are crossed for you. let us know what happens.

The TA had better well care--that's her job. Call her and DEMAND that she call RCCL and get an answer. If she refuses, first speak to her supervisor. Also call RCCL and tell them that TA is being uncooperative and you want to make sure you have a cabin. Take names! I tried to do a mock booking for your sailing for two people in ANY cabin and the web site said there was no availability. That is very concerning to me as far as your situation goes. Good luck!

Because you are 24 hours out, it would say that all cabins are not available at this time because you can't book this close to a sailing...not since 9/11.

To the OP, good luck. I am thinking you will probably get an even better upgrade.

You might not have heard about it--but it can and DOES happen. Generally about a week in advance they begin to realize they have an oversold situation and begin calling people, asking them to accept some sort of perk/credit for taking their cruise on a different date. If they don't get takers, they pray that someone doesn't show up or ends up denied boarding for whatever reason so a cabin opens. But there are cases of people who are left behind on the dock as the ship sails because the ship is oversold.

Who do you know that has been left at the pier because of overbooking?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I certainly do not know anybody who was left at the pier do to overbooking.

I have heard stories about people getting phone calls trying to reschedule them, generally with a very nice incentive offered. Most of those stories were from other cruise lines, rather than Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. Someday when I am retired and living within driving distance to port, I might well agree to delay my cruise in exchange for an wonderful upgrade or big OBC. Right now, that would not be an option nor do I think it would be for the OP as he is a substantial distance from port.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1648443&highlight=royal+caribbean+ship+overbooked

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=63405&highlight=royal+caribbean+ship+overbooked

I would guess that if there were NO cabins for the OP they would have gotten a call by now

Please keep us up to date on what happens. We all want to know.

I had the opposite issue of sorts. I booked a guarantee balcony, and got the lowest level balcony assigned about a week after booking.

My cruise is still over 65 days away. Lets hope they offer some sort of upgrade, but I doubt it.

Since I am just platinum I guess I can and should expect nothing extra.

No one personally, however there have been a few stories here on Cruise Critic over the years.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hip+overbooked

I read most of that thread. The OP was called in advance w/ various offers of compensation. It didn't seem that they were "left at the pier". They went on another ship, (better ship IMHO but that's subjective) same date, upgraded cabin category and an OBC. Kind of different from being left at the pier.

I'm basing my theory on a number of facts as presented by the OP. I'm not trying to stress her out, just making sure she realizes that something doesn't smell right on this one--particularly the TA sending her up the food chain instead of taking care of it himself.

Airlines can oversell because they have other flights that they can bump people to, or they can buy a bumped passenger a flight on another airline, and they can conveniently ask for bump volunteers whom they can buy off with small amounts of money. And, if they're gonna bump someone, they're gonna bump someone that payed the least so that they're on the hook for the least amount possible, given a choice. A cruise line, not so much -- the consequences are much, much higher: There's no other cruise to send the party on in an hour or two. The amount of investment in preparing for the cruise is much higher (typically 6-10 times more money is involved). So unless you can round up a few reliable people who can say "Yes, I was bumped because the line sold my cabin to someone else", I'm gonna deny that it happens on a basis that even remotely resembles regular practice and they are instead waiting on some other thing. I mean, I can make up reasons for the delay all day that'll be jsut as likely and *won't* have PR downsides as steep as overselling cabins because someone *might* not show.

OP, please take a slow, deep breath. Since most people get their room assignments before arriving at the pier, it is naturally stressful that you don't have yours yet.

Taking a cruise isn't like an air flight. Airlines have a good idea of the amount of no-shows they have and know the typical number of passengers who would be willing to be bumped if they overbook and their no-show estimates don't pan out.

With cruising, there is no way they could continue to offer the GTY if bumping passengers at the terminal was common. Word would get out and only those who lived close to port would be willing to book a GTY if there was a high risk of not being allowed to board.

You have your paperwork to show a GTY for your suite. You'll have your suite. Maybe some nice upgrade, maybe not. But you'll have your room.

I'm sorry you've had such a stressful time. I wish I was on your cruise because I'd take you and yours to the bar and buy the first round of drinks.

Keeping good thoughts for you, hon!

-Melissa

Just imagine.... you could be assigned to the Owners or the Crown Loft Suite. :)

If you find that you are turned away, then you will need to find out why. And if you do need to find out why, do so calmly and rationally and make as much notes as possible, and get names.

I am sure you will be ok, and you will get on board. Good luck, and do let us know how you get on. I'll sure be thinking about your issue.

I have never understood their pricing. I booked our 2014, 13 day NZ cruise when the dates first opened, and with 7 1/2 months to go, they are asking more for D-1's then we paid for a JS. How do they expect to sell cabins when prices are close to $1,000 more for even their lower category rooms.

Ditto to what Starry Eyes said as we have had similar experiences (though not as lucky on cabin assignments).

I hope this doesn't stress you out too much.

Have an amazing vacation.

I did feel very lucky with the assignments I mentioned. Of course, I did not mention the many gty assignments when I got exactly what I booked without any significant upgrade; even then we were treated fairly on the gty deal. And we had fun on those cruises, too.

I hope the OP comes back to tell the rest of the story.

Sometimes its the time of year.

I have never understood their pricing. I booked our 2014, 13 day NZ cruise when the dates first opened, and with 7 1/2 months to go, they are asking more for D-1's then we paid for a JS. How do they expect to sell cabins when prices are close to $1,000 more for even their lower category rooms.

I don't think the OP is concerned about the price. The problem is, he's sailing tomorrow and has no cabin assignment.:(

According to the terms of booking a guarantee cabin, you might be assigned at the pier. This is not a lack of effort on your TAs part or on the RCCL representative. These are assigned randomly and will be assigned as they see fit. You have a suite guarantee and it shows as such on your paperwork so you can use the suite embarkation. When you arrive at the port and you still don't have a cabin assignment, see the porter who will have a complete manifest list and you will be given a luggage tag and you will find out which cabin (suite) you are assigned. Although others have been assigned a cabin in advance, that doesn't mean that everyone will. I say - don't worry and enjoy your cruise.

Technically this is not considered as "having issues". When booking a guaranteed cabin, assignment can be anywhere between the booking date and checking in at the pier.

What a goofy and insensitive response . . .

I would call to inquire. It will put to rest any doubts you have about your booking, even if they only tell you it hasn't been assigned yet.

That said, I would specifically ask, "Is this cruise in an oversold situation?" And get the name of the person you speak to. If it's not oversold, specifically ask if there are still unassigned suites. If it is oversold or there are no unassigned suites, you've got an entirely different problem in your hands. Just like with an airline, the first person bumped is the one without an assignment. If this is the case, immediately escalate to a senior supervisor.

This is not true on a few levels.

First, at this point, no one would be able to say if there are unassigned suites. Revenue holds rooms away so they appear "sold" to any and all of the agents. Since Revenue works M-F 8-5 and only they can confirm this, this will get you nowhere.

Second, if the ship is oversold, it is not gtys that are bumped first. They bump free cruises, upgrades, heavily discounted, voluntary bumps and THEN gtys.

Archived