getting off the Solstice at Ketchican

karrma

How long does it take to get off the Solstice, when it docks at a port, such as Ketchikan, Alaska or Skagway?

How long does it take if there is tendering, such as in Juneau?

I searched disembarking, and it concerned leaving at the end of the cruise, with luggage, etc.

First timer, going to Alaska on the Solstice.

The Solstice is alternating docking with tendering in Juneau. On the Aug. 2 trip, we docked and you can figure out what your cruise will do there. If docked, you just walk off the ship but you will need to take the free shuttle into downtown Juneau if you're not on an excursion. Tendering could take up to 3 hours, depending if you have priority passes or not. Without priority status, you get a tender ticket and then wait for your number to be called. It does take a while.

In Skagway or Ketchican, you just walk off at your leisure and you stroll into town or take the town bus (Skagway- $2). Both of those towns are definitely walkable. Lots of shopping! In Victoria, there is a free shuttle to get into the downtown area but remember it is after 6pm and some things are closed.

You will have a great time, just be prepared for all kinds of weather.

The Solstice is alternating docking with tendering in Juneau. On the Aug. 2 trip, we docked and you can figure out what your cruise will do there. If docked, you just walk off the ship but you will need to take the free shuttle into downtown Juneau if you're not on an excursion. Tendering could take up to 3 hours, depending if you have priority passes or not. Without priority status, you get a tender ticket and then wait for your number to be called. It does take a while.

In Skagway or Ketchican, you just walk off at your leisure and you stroll into town or take the town bus (Skagway- $2). Both of those towns are definitely walkable. Lots of shopping! In Victoria, there is a free shuttle to get into the downtown area but remember it is after 6pm and some things are closed.

You will have a great time, just be prepared for all kinds of weather.

Thank-you. We are tendering at Juneau for our trip.

In Sitka, I plan on just seeing the art and totem poles, and wanted to arrange a time to be picked up by one of the art/coffee shops north of town, that has a free van service to their shop. Have some lunch packed there, and catch the town bus further north to Potlatch and Bight Parks. When we are done there, then back to town for shopping.

My husband likes to be last minute, and I know I can get him to the boat much more easily when we are shopping, rather than if we were exploring a park with totem poles.

Are you stopping in Sitka or Ketchican? On our Solstice trip, we stopped in Ketchican. From Ketchican, you can go to Bight State Park or Saxman Village fpr totem viewing. I'm not sure about Sitka.

I remember walking to that park and seeing the total poles and plenty of eagles. It was a fantastic sight to see them soaring 10 ft in front of you.

Don't remember seeing any at Sitka. Did spend some time going thru the old Russian Orthodox church and spending some time in a Sports bar. Then there was the long wait for the tender to get back to the ship. While on the tender we did see a lot of wild life in the water.

We did an Alaskan cruise on a different cruise line and and I think Sitka is only set up for tenders.

I goofed up, it is Ketchikan.

My mom's cousin taught in Sitka for several years, before world war 2, and she had lots of memories and memorabilia from this. I just wish we were going to Sitka after all we have heard about it.

FYI The shuttles were not free in Victoria.:mad: It was apx $8 per person round trip. Ways to get into Victoria are pedi cab, horse drawn carriages, shuttle bus or taxi or hike it. Pick your mode. At the end of the cruise we easily walked off with our own luggage. no issues.

take a look at the Alaska port boards lots of info there:)

I don't know about how long it takes to get off at port stops in the middle of the cruise, but Juneau is not a tender stop. I think you mean Icy Strait Point.

I initially thought the same thing. Apparently, there are times when some ships tender in Juneau.

Archived