Major changes to RCCL Visa program

bobinfl

Well I just got my new card last week and I remembered this thread.

My card is still a Platinum Plus card and not a Signature Visa

Anyone else have this happen ?

Yep. It has a chip in it though. I think if you want the Signature Visa, you have to apply for it. We are thinking about switching to the BofA Travel Rewards card. It has a chip and no foreign transaction fees. Points can be applied to any travel charges, air, cruise, hotel. :)

Well I just got my new card last week and I remembered this thread.

My card is still a Platinum Plus card and not a Signature Visa

Anyone else have this happen ?

Hi George, as Patti said, if you want the new Signature Visa you have to Call BofA and apply for it and then once you get the card you can transfer your points from the Platinum Plus to the new card.

What they said was gonna happen (new SV cards issued to PP holders) certainly didn't!!:(

Four months later, I am still getting the same info from the BoA rep. We applied for the RCCL Signature Visa card because of the promotion on this page: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/dealsandmore/offer/visa.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=5 which clearly indicates that the 10K bonus points would be redeemable for OBC on a Royal Caribbean cruise. I also charged our family's February cruise to this card in order to rack up another 10K points, for a total of 20K. However, with the cruise coming up in just two months, I do not have time to rack up another 5K (nor will our credit limit allow for it, unless I pay off the cruise I just charged on the card immediately). I am hoping the BoA rep is correct - all I want is our OBC. My daughter also applied, and will have the 10K bonus points - I do hope they will allow her to redeem those for OBC. Has anyone successfully redeemed their points, under 25K, for Royal Caribbean OBC? (I don't have time to read through all 26 pages of this thread.)

I have the older Platinum plus card and 15K points. Just logged into where you redeem and there is no 10,000k /$100 option for Royal Caribbean, just the sister lines. There is a 15k/$150 redeem and a $5k/$50 redeem for Royal Caribbean. Don't see why you can't combine the two as long as you have the points.

However, you might want to look at redeeming for upgrades, which sometimes give you double value. That is you spend 15K points for an upgrade worth up to $300. On my last short cruise I did this and just booked the cruise at the cabin level I wanted than redeemed the points and the credit was applied.

Cheers,

• 4 weeks later...
Hi George, as Patti said, if you want the new Signature Visa you have to Call BofA and apply for it and then once you get the card you can transfer your points from the Platinum Plus to the new card.

What they said was gonna happen (new SV cards issued to PP holders) certainly didn't!!:(

Patti, love the new avatar

Since our last exchange I received an "Complimentary Upgrade Offer" on my Visa LOL wonder why they just didn't do it when they sent the new card a couple weeks ago.

Edited by TheMiz

We cruise on May 18. My BOA billing period will end on May 2. Just wondering if I will have time to add the on board credit at the end of that billing statement or I should do it now. Just trying to get a few more points so I can get another $50 OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was told 6 days before cruise is fine to redeem points-and if it is less they can work it out too-but you are recommended to call RCCL to ensure the points are 'transferred' to the ship in time.

Did mine 6 days before our FOS cruise last week and my OBC was there and waiting for me with a :)

Wow, all these new rules, really Bites. It seems like almost all the perks are geared toward Celebrity, instead of Royal. Seems to me, like they're pushing those of us with the Royal Visa, to start sailing Celebrity, instead of Royal.

What other cards are available out there, and how do they work?