Why you need to visit Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano on your next cruise!

CruisingGatorGirl

Hi everyone! Some of you may have already read my trip report on the Celebrity Boards. I am re-living my trip through creating a travel blog. I have already posted our days in many other med. ports but I just finished our day in Pompeii/Amalfi/Sorrento/Positano and it made me realize how special that day was! I felt like I needed to post on here for those who were not sure about stopping in Naples.

I even have a video in the post of us driving along the Amalfi Coast while our tour guide sings to us! I actually teared up just watching it again!

I just wanted to share for those of you who are debating about stopping in Naples or not- not all ships stop there. Please let me know if you have questions about any of these cities!

I thought this might help you decide :) Of course our days in Rome, Venice, etc. were amazing but our day in the Amalfi Coast was special :o

I hope this will be helpful to someone! These boards were so helpful to me I just want to return the favor :) Have a great weekend!

http://dessertationblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/thats-amore-our-day-in-pompeii-sorrento.html

Edited by CruisingGatorGirl

I enjoyed your report the first time very much. We are nearly the exact celebrity equinox cruise this October. We have booked RIL for Pompeii and positano. Two members of our group would like it skip Sorrento. Did you find Sorrento a "must see"? We could extend time in Postitano or go to a winery near mt. Vesuvius. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

I enjoyed your report the first time very much. We are nearly the exact celebrity equinox cruise this October. We have booked RIL for Pompeii and positano. Two members of our group would like it skip Sorrento. Did you find Sorrento a "must see"? We could extend time in Postitano or go to a winery near mt. Vesuvius. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Thank you! Lucky you! I wish I was going back, we are going on the Equinox for our honeymoon (but to central/south America).

Well Sorrento was our last stop and we spent the least amount of time there. I would say we were glad to visit Sorrento but do not "need" to go there again, if that makes sense/helps? To put it in perspective, we feel like we "need" to go to Pompeii and Sorrento again. Of course, I am thrilled we went to Sorrento, put I think Positano was better :rolleyes:

While usually not a fan of ship offered excursions our ship DIY to Sorrento (which included a visit to a farm house and shown how they make mozzarella) and Pompeii, ended up not only being budget friendly but a great excursion for our first visit.

Thank you so much for posting. You went to my favorite restaurant in Italy, da Costantino in Positano. The owner's name is Luigi. On my first trip to Italy we were taken there by our driver from All Around Italy and it is a must stop for me whenever I get to the Amalfi Coast. I will be there again in October. I also loved your video and have saved it to my computer.

Did you use Rome in Limo for any other ports? I would love to see your other reviews on this cruise, but I couldn't find any on your blog.

Even though it's not me you're asking...Our private tour (just the 2 of us) with RIL in Rome and the Vatican was amazing !

Even though it's not me you're asking...Our private tour (just the 2 of us) with RIL in Rome and the Vatican was amazing !

I'm so glad to hear that! I've been reading great reviews of their tours. Could you post a review telling us exactly what you did and why it was so amazing?

Thanks!

We used Rome in limo for this port..Naples. Our group of 8 ( roll call) went to the above mentioned restaurant ( taken there by the tour guide) just to mention it was 25 euro each for the restaurant but well woth it! Favorite of the trip..Rome in limo was fantastic! We went to sorrento, positano, ate lunch, then pompei. Just the beauty of sorrento and positano will make your heart skip a beat! Lemonchello everywhere, lol ! The cliffs, beaches, store fronts, alleyways, authentic restaurants/ food..can not wait to go back one day! Then stopped at pompei where another guide took us through. he was very good at his job ( maybe overly serious)but I could of used a shorter tour by then and I would of liked pompei on my own but I'm sure a lot of people would rather a guide.

Thank you so much for posting. You went to my favorite restaurant in Italy, da Costantino in Positano. The owner's name is Luigi. On my first trip to Italy we were taken there by our driver from All Around Italy and it is a must stop for me whenever I get to the Amalfi Coast. I will be there again in October. I also loved your video and have saved it to my computer.

Yes! That was the best restaurant ever and the prices were cheaper there than the states! Pizza was 9 euros and since that includes tax and tip that's a steal!

Glad you liked the video :)

Did you use Rome in Limo for any other ports? I would love to see your other reviews on this cruise, but I couldn't find any on your blog.

Yes we did! They should be on my blog if you click on "europe trip"

When I get back to my computer ill send you the direct links.

Every tour was equally as good! I just liked this port the best because it was new to me- I previously visited Rome and Florence in 2004

We used Rome in limo for this port..Naples. Our group of 8 ( roll call) went to the above mentioned restaurant ( taken there by the tour guide) just to mention it was 25 euro each for the restaurant but well woth it! Favorite of the trip..Rome in limo was fantastic! We went to sorrento, positano, ate lunch, then pompei. Just the beauty of sorrento and positano will make your heart skip a beat! Lemonchello everywhere, lol ! The cliffs, beaches, store fronts, alleyways, authentic restaurants/ food..can not wait to go back one day! Then stopped at pompei where another guide took us through. he was very good at his job ( maybe overly serious)but I could of used a shorter tour by then and I would of liked pompei on my own but I'm sure a lot of people would rather a guide.

That's strange because we paid way less than that! I have pics of the menu, pizza and gnocchi were 9 euros? And that included the lemon cake and limoncello :) however I would still pay 25 for it, we thought 9 euros was a steal!

we did not order off the menu.

It was family style. They brought out a ton of appetizers, then mains, then deserts (like Im talking Tray Fulls) then Lemonchello, lol!! Oh and all the wine we could drink, lol.... Hope im talking about the same restaurant. Way on the top Of Positano?? AMAZING!!

Here are the links to our other tours with RomeInLimo:

Let me know if you have questions :)

Pisa, Tuscany and Florence, Italy

http://dessertationblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/pisa-tuscany-and-florence-italy.html

All of Rome in 8 Hours!

http://dessertationblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/all-of-rome-in-8-hours.html

I am so glad I saw this! I will be in Rome at the end of October for a couple of days pre-cruise and one of the things I decided me and my little group would do is take an all day tour to the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. I was a little hesitant at first to do it, since it will easily be an 11-12 hour tour, but then I thought about it and said why not. Now that I've read the page in your blog about it, I am so glad we have decided to do it. Our cruise leaves the next day so we can sleep when we board!:eek:

We recently stopped in Naples during our cruise on Celebrity Reflection. Though beautiful once we arrived, on a Sunday, the drive from Naples to Sorrento is a nightmare. Since Sunday appears to be everyone's day to leave Naples, the traffic was very heavy. There were frequent periods of 7-10 minutes where nothing moved. We'd go 20 yards and stop again. Since we were on a private tour I was worried about getting back to the ship on time. As it turned out we had to cut our tour of Pompeii short to be able to make the ship in time. Other days the traffic may not be as bad.

Sorrento and the coast are beautiful. However if you are there on a Sunday, be mindful of the time.

I just posted a thread "My Favorite W. Med. Excursion" or something to that effect.

It matched your day precisely.

FOLKS WHEN IN NAPLES, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO, PLEASE TAKE OUR ADVICE. I did Rome and it was great, so was Florence....but while at port in Naples there was just something extra special about the day spent at Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano, and the Amalfi Coast.

DON'T MISS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree... The Naples port is, by far, my favorite Med. cruise port. I just love the area. We've seen so many different places with Romeinlimo and have had the best days out of the Naples port. I could see Pompeii every time we go... unfortunately my husband will not :D

• 3 weeks later...
I am so glad I saw this! I will be in Rome at the end of October for a couple of days pre-cruise and one of the things I decided me and my little group would do is take an all day tour to the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. I was a little hesitant at first to do it, since it will easily be an 11-12 hour tour, but then I thought about it and said why not. Now that I've read the page in your blog about it, I am so glad we have decided to do it. Our cruise leaves the next day so we can sleep when we board!:eek:

Thank you! I am so glad you have decided to go. You will not be disappointed. Have a great trip, come back and tell us about it :) One day I hope to return :D