Unlimited wifi package on oasis?

I have read threads about unlimited wifi on allure and cost of about $170. Is this available on oasis? We sail out on Saturday and would like to know now as we would purchase this and Skype with kids but if not available we need to make other plans. Thanks

I have read threads about unlimited wifi on allure and cost of about $170. Is this available on oasis? We sail out on Saturday and would like to know now as we would purchase this and Skype with kids but if not available we need to make other plans. Thanks

We were on the Aug. 2 sailing, and it was not offered.

From what I've seen on this forum, I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that the unlimited wifi package on Oasis is only offered sporadically on certain sailings. It seems to be on some sort of a trial basis only and there is no way to determine ahead of time which sailings will have the unlimited wifi package.

I saw a post a while back where someone took a picture of the wifi options on Oasis and they had an unlimited one but then on other sailings, people say there is none.

*fingers crossed* they'll have it on ours this weekend. If not, you could always try using wifi at the ports. Specifically, I heard that many places in Nassau near the port have wifi.

From what I've seen on this forum, I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that the unlimited wifi package on Oasis is only offered sporadically on certain sailings. It seems to be on some sort of a trial basis only and there is no way to determine ahead of time which sailings will have the unlimited wifi package.

I saw a post a while back where someone took a picture of the wifi options on Oasis and they had an unlimited one but then on other sailings, people say there is none.

*fingers crossed* they'll have it on ours this weekend. If not, you could always try using wifi at the ports. Specifically, I heard that many places in Nassau near the port have wifi.

Thanks. This is what I thought as well. I really hope it is offered on ours. My boys aren't that chatty but would be nice to Skype and iMessage at our leisure instead of worrying about minutes used all the time. We bought minutes on FOS and it was a hassle always trying to time our log in time with them being near wifi.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've read on various threads over the years that you can't Skype on the ship's wifi. You can certainly iMessage, just be careful if you are paying by the minute, as you will have to make sure your device is disconnected when you're done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've read on various threads over the years that you can't Skype on the ship's wifi. You can certainly iMessage, just be careful if you are paying by the minute, as you will have to make sure your device is disconnected when you're done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread from the allure specifically says they could Skype but not FaceTime with unlimited wifi on allure. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1893335

I am interested if this is not so. So many confusing info out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up post. Unlimited package was not available on our sailing. We got the $150 package with 500 minutes and had left over time at end of cruise. We were able to Skype the kids daily and it worked great. Just thought I would leave follow up.

Just a follow up post. Unlimited package was not available on our sailing. We got the $150 package with 500 minutes and had left over time at end of cruise. We were able to Skype the kids daily and it worked great. Just thought I would leave follow up.

Thanks for the update. Regarding Skype, are you saying the two-way video worked OK, or was it just audio?

It was the free video call part of Skype. We also used iMessage some with wifi. We talked to the boys easily with Skype video and waled all over the ship with it showing them different areas. Video quality was great and was a great way for us to stay in touch. Well worth the money for us.

That should be some US cell phone users... I think that Verizon charges a roaming rate (I think it's $1.99/minute) for Caribbean islands like St. Thomas. AT&T and Sprint do consider it domestic, though.

Edited by Daghis

That should be some US cell phone users... I think that Verizon charges a roaming rate (I think it's $1.99/minute) for Caribbean islands like St. Thomas. AT&T and Sprint do consider it domestic, though.

We did not get charged for Verizon phone calls in St Thomas.

Interesting!

I was taking my information from this page that says that coverage there has a "CDMA Standard Roaming Per Minute Rate" of $1.99/minute, but text messages were listed as "Domestic Text rates apply".

I'm not a Verizon customer, so I'll defer to those who've had actual experience there.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...