Buying soda in barcelona

joyus

This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm wondering if the diet coke tastes different in Barcelona than in the US. I'm trying to decide if it may be best to buy my soda in the US and place in my check-in luggage as opposed to buying it in port.

Thanks for your response after probably ridiculing me. :-)

This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm wondering if the diet coke tastes different in Barcelona than in the US. I'm trying to decide if it may be best to buy my soda in the US and place in my check-in luggage as opposed to buying it in port.

Thanks for your response after probably ridiculing me. :-)

Hi! It's not a dumb question! Diet Coke in Europe does taste much different that it does in the US. I love diet Coke in the US, but don't care much for it in the EU. I believe it's called Coke Light there. I've been to France, Monaco, Italy, Belgium, Holland and Spain and I didn't like the Coke Light in any of those places!! :)

Hi! It's not a dumb question! Diet Coke in Europe does taste much different that it does in the US. I love diet Coke in the US, but don't care much for it in the EU. I believe it's called Coke Light there. I've been to France, Monaco, Italy, Belgium, Holland and Spain and I didn't like the Coke Light in any of those places!! :)

It's indeed called Coke Light here.

I can't say whether they taste the same since I don't care for its taste.

I do know that other drinks by the Coca Cola company taste different in different parts of the world. So I would guess that this is the same for Diet Coke/Coke Light.

Remember that due to the fact the water is different the ice would taint the flavour of the soda. Maybe you should bring that also in your luggage.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Here's a tip: we planned to pick up some pop in Barcelona the morning of the cruise, and realized that all the stores were closed Sunday morning! At least where we were staying at the Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya in Sants.

If you walk down the Ramblas towards the port/Columbus Monument there is well sorted mini-mart at the end on your left, opposite of the glass elevator on the Ramblas of Drassanes subway station.

Good selection of soda's and what else you would like to bring along (sweets, snacks, toiletries etc), be sure ask them for a shrinkwrapped tray. Prices are reasonable, less than 1 Euro a can of Coke.

From there on it's just a shiplenght walk to the stop of the Blue bus/portbus.

Porters in Barcelona aren't used to lugging a tagged tray of 24 cans, last May I got mine returned and had to stood in line with it haha... :D

I'm trying to decide if it may be best to buy my soda in the US and place in my check-in luggage as opposed to buying it in port.

In addition to worry about them popping open, I can't imagine the overweight or extra baggage fee!

Setting aside for the moment the question of why someone would pay big money to go to the other side of the world in pursuit of things that taste exactly like the versions at home, how about we work on the proper term for the amazing pedestrian mall in Barcelona? It is a rambla, but it is also a collection of ramblas. A poster above refers to "the ramblas." Wikipedia avers it should be either La Rambla or Les Ramblas as in the original French-influenced Catalan. The street signs say "La Rambla." In any case, a not-to-be missed segment of La Rambla is the enormous open food market that opens on La Rambla, Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria about halfway up the street from the cruise dock.

Setting aside for the moment the question of why someone would pay big money to go to the other side of the world in pursuit of things that taste exactly like the versions at home, how about we work on the proper term for the amazing pedestrian mall in Barcelona? It is a rambla, but it is also a collection of ramblas. A poster above refers to "the ramblas." Wikipedia avers it should be either La Rambla or Les Ramblas as in the original French-influenced Catalan. The street signs say "La Rambla." In any case, a not-to-be missed segment of La Rambla is the enormous open food market that opens on La Rambla, Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria about halfway up the street from the cruise dock.

Is it necessary to lecture one on the proper use of a name or questions why someone wishes to purchase something they like on a message board:(

How about "we" work on being pleasant:confused:

Thank you for your opinion, however, I don't think that preferring a certain taste of soda negates the whole food experience in a different country. I'm sure you have your "preference" on a certain item(s) when you are away from home. I expected there would be those who would probably respond to my question as you did, but that's fine.

To the others...thank you for very much for your suggestions and sharing your experience. You're wonderful!

I know it sounds odd, but I would suggest trying the European Pepsi MAX as a Diet Coke substitute. Might work for the short time you are in Europe.

It is not the same drink as sold in the US as it was the first cola drink with a new form of sweetener in the 90s and does not have ginseng and extra caffeine like the American version.

Something else to keep in mind: the ship will probably be stocked with Coke Light, depending on how long it has been in Europe before you get on. And if the ship has been in the UK beforehand, British Diet Coke tastes different than American Diet Coke. However, different isn't always a bad thing. You are pretty likely to find one that you like if you try Coke Light, Coke Zero, And Pepsi Max.

Is it necessary to lecture one on the proper use of a name or questions why someone wishes to purchase something they like on a message board:(

How about "we" work on being pleasant:confused:

That actually made me LOL thanks :)

As much as I understand you wanting your 'diet coke' as you know it - I would not consider packing it in your checked luggage - too many things can go wrong - and I can't imagine you would want a suitcase full of coke soaked clothing? (nor would I want my luggage to be near yours if that happens! :) )....

Do try a few different types when you are there - see if you can find something else you like that may be 'close' to what you're looking for! Good Luck (yes I am a pepsi drinker - and found some pepsi light - didn't taste quite the same of course but it was okay in a pinch!).

That's funny. The Barcelona Tourist site refers to it as Las Ramblas, as do quite a few accommodation places on this street.

As an Aussie we visited the Coke "Central" in Atlanta Georgia where they explain that coke tastes different in every country. In Asia it has a lemon influence.

I agree that Coke Light tastes different. The first time I tried Pepsi Max was in Paris as the place we stopped didn't have Coke products only Pepsi. I am not a Pepsi drinker but it was pretty good (not like Pepsi in the US). With that said, I would never think of putting sodas in my checked luggage as you could pretty much guarantee it will be all over your clothes. I would just try the different sodas and buy what you like the best once you are there. I drink Coke Zero everywhere I travel....

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Duly chastened. Sorry.

No need to apologize. Having been there, I particularly enjoyed your explanation. I agree with you about the Boqueria! Marvelous place!

Your real mistake is you chose to insert some intelligence into an inane discussion debating the flavors of soda pop.

It's not Les Ramblas, but Les rambles. All plurals in catalan end with "es" without exception.

We were in Italy for a few days prior to boarding the ship in Civitvecchia (Rome). The Light Coke doesn't taste the same, and while we were thrilled with the food, and quickly fell in love with the wine, occasionally we just wanted that DIET COKE! We tried several drinks and finally just stopped trying to find a COKE/PEPSI product. The ginger ale is good and the orange soda is good. We spent more time on wine, which seemed to help and we were actually able to snag glasses filled to the brim with ICE CUBES in a few of the restaurants. When we boarded the ship, they had DIET coke (Navigator of the Seas). First time I've ever purchased a soda card, but as soon as I boarded the ship and discovered they had DIET coke, I happily handed them my SeaPass card and purchased that soda card.

Archived