Chops - a few questions

And it never cease to amaze me how rude and snobby some people on CC can be...

I agree. Maybe it's an example of the east coast reputation of people being snobs and rude.

Call it rude, if you like.

It has NOTHING to do with snobbery. Where does THAT idea come from???

I don't believe I was being snobbish... Nor would I call it rude.... I believe the correct lingo is "snarky"!!! :D

This is collectively the most thin-skinned group I've ever encountered online.

I travel solo a lot and eat in Chops a lot. Many times I have eaten alone in various restaurants on board ships. When I first started doing this it was a little awkward, but now it's like second nature. Many times I meet people who will dine with me, or I with them. It's really no big deal. I feel you don't need a book. But if you want to or would feel better, bring one along. A lot of times the people at the next table start talking to you. Go for Chops, you will love it.

Rev, that's an interesting take. I guess if that's what you're after it's great, but I approach solo cruising a little differently. I have friends and family I like to travel with, but a couple times a year, I enjoy getting away by myself- to BE by myself.

As such, when I solo cruise, I am not interested in sitting at a large table in the MDR (popular suggestion for solo cruisers), nor do I usually attend a meet & mingle (although I signed up for the next one in a moment of weakness).

The last thing I would personally be inclined to do in any restaurant would be to strike up a conversation with people at the next table. I imagine they are there with the people they hope to spend their evening with, just as I am.

Again, nothing wrong with your approach, different strokes for different folks, just thought I'd share my observations.

I agree. Maybe it's an example of the east coast reputation of people being snobs and rude.

Whoa, wait, I'm east coast, and I'm not a snob and hope I'm not rude. Not without specific intentions, anyway.

OP, I eat in fast casual and dine in more upscale restaurants with my Nook, and really

enjoy my meal. I even have a cover on it that becomes an easel so it stands upright.

Before ereaders I carried paperbacks.

It's pure luxury to me to be able to do my two favorite things at once.

Enjoy your Chops meal, it's a lovely treat.

I agree that the original comment made about Google wasn't snobby (standing by my opinion that it was rude), but there is a lot of snobbery on CC in general..."Oh, well I simply don't cruise if its anything less than a JS" "I ONLY eat in the specialty restaurants, the food in the MDR is just horrible"...yada, yada, yada. Please note, I'm speaking generally of some posts on CC, not ALL posts on CC. What I don't do is actually comment on their posts. I know there are snobby people online, I'm not going to sink to the level where I post a "snarky" comment to them [eye roll].

And post what you will...I'm not further engaging in some ridiculous disagreement online.

Rev, that's an interesting take. I guess if that's what you're after it's great, but I approach solo cruising a little differently. I have friends and family I like to travel with, but a couple times a year, I enjoy getting away by myself- to BE by myself.

As such, when I solo cruise, I am not interested in sitting at a large table in the MDR (popular suggestion for solo cruisers), nor do I usually attend a meet & mingle (although I signed up for the next one in a moment of weakness).

The last thing I would personally be inclined to do in any restaurant would be to strike up a conversation with people at the next table. I imagine they are there with the people they hope to spend their evening with, just as I am.

Again, nothing wrong with your approach, different strokes for different folks, just thought I'd share my observations.

I agree.

I'm going on my third solo cruise next month and opted out of the MDR just for that reason. Of course, I'm looking forward to meeting new people and mingling, but there are some dinner evenings that I want to spend it alone.

I'll be dining in Chops as well solo and hope I can get a seat near the window. I'll also have my iPad with me as well. Have fun and enjoy! This will be my first time dining in Chops so I'm looking forward to it :D

I agree.

I'm going on my third solo cruise next month and opted out of the MDR just for that reason. Of course, I'm looking forward to meeting new people and mingling, but there are some dinner evenings that I want to spend it alone.

I'll be dining in Chops as well solo and hope I can get a seat near the window. I'll also have my iPad with me as well. Have fun and enjoy! This will be my first time dining in Chops so I'm looking forward to it :D

Not meaning to jack the thread, but....

I'm very fortunate to have a hubby who wouldn't mind if I wanted to take a cruise alone. He'd probably be a bit concerned about me, but he'd be OK with it. I don't know whether I could handle dining in Chops alone (guess I'm kinda insecure...LOL). I admire you and others who will get your travel fix on independently!

I'm very fortunate to have a hubby who wouldn't mind if I wanted to take a cruise alone. He'd probably be a bit concerned about me, but he'd be OK with it. I don't know whether I could handle dining in Chops alone (guess I'm kinda insecure...LOL). I admire you and others who will get your travel fix on independently!

Hey no problems on hijacking my thread. I think that ship already sailed :) Completely just kidding. I appreciate snarkyness (sp?) just as much as the next person.:D

Hey no problems on hijacking my thread. I think that ship already sailed :) Completely just kidding. I appreciate snarkyness (sp?) just as much as the next person.:D

Yeah JosieCat, did you EVER get some clarity on your original question?:confused: Is it gonna be the cute top with the nice black capris?

but there is a lot of snobbery on CC in general..."Oh, well I simply don't cruise if its anything less than a JS" "I ONLY eat in the specialty restaurants, the food in the MDR is just horrible"...yada, yada, yada. Please note, I'm speaking generally of some posts on CC, not ALL posts on CC. What I don't do is actually comment on their posts. I know there are snobby people online, I'm not going to sink to the level where I post a "snarky" comment to them [eye roll].

Wait a minute! Just because I have chosen not to stay in anything less than a JS or only eat at the specialty restaurants, I'm a snob? That seems a bit narrow minded to me. I work very hard when I'm home, and I want to enjoy my time off to the fullest. For me, that means spending more on my accommodations and meals to maximize my enjoyment. I think it's just as snobbish to look down upon that as it would be for me to look down on others for NOT doing that. I could care less what room you choose or where you choose to eat. Why does my choice about MYSELF make me a snob?

I think you need to look in the mirror....

Wait a minute! Just because I have chosen not to stay in anything less than a JS or only eat at the specialty restaurants, I'm a snob? That seems a bit narrow minded to me. I work very hard when I'm home, and I want to enjoy my time off to the fullest. For me, that means spending more on my accommodations and meals to maximize my enjoyment. I think it's just as snobbish to look down upon that as it would be for me to look down on others for NOT doing that. I could care less what room you choose or where you choose to eat. Why does my choice about MYSELF make me a snob?

I think you need to look in the mirror....

Didn't someone say something earlier in this thread about people on this board being thin-skinned? :confused:

Yeah JosieCat, did you EVER get some clarity on your original question?:confused: Is it gonna be the cute top with the nice black capris?

LOL. I did. The only thing I was bringing the capris for was that dinner, but as I said - I do have a pair of black slacks that I bought for a funeral - so I'll just bring those instead - not a big deal. I'm sure I'll feel more comfortable. And I only have to lose 5 or so pounds to fit back into them :)

Wow, I feel so right at home here - it's almost like the TA Las Vegas board :)

But seriously - thanks again to all for your feedback and advice. Much appreciated!

This thread has taken on a life of it's own...like all of the OTHER threads on CC. I eat my lunch in my office and read the CC boards....trust me, there's no better entertainment. The thick-skinned, the thin-skinned, the snobby, the friendly....it's ALL here! See ya, JosieCat, on another thread...:cool:

Didn't someone say something earlier in this thread about people on this board being thin-skinned? :confused:

I'm not upset by it, I'm just calling the poster out on what sounds like a little hypocrisy to me...

Problem with these message boards is you can't really tell tone. In re-reading that, I guess you could choose to read it as though my panties were in a knot. Reality is that it just kind of set off my "BS" meter...

Thanks! :D I'm use to traveling solo now or doing my own thing, so it's habit now. I hope I find a husband like that because I'd still enjoy a solo trip every now and again when I'm married.

Thanks! I'm use to traveling solo now or doing my own thing, so it's habit now. I hope I find a husband like that because I'd still enjoy a solo trip every now and again when I'm married.

Hope you find a great guy who likes to travel as much as you do, or at least doesn't mind YOU traveling as much as you do! I've been married 34 years, and traveling solo might not have worked so well for me back in the day...LOL. Our children are grown now and all of the preliminaries are out of the way so, TIME FOR NEW ADVENTURES!

I cruise solo all the time. Nobody is going to care what you wear, and what you describe is Perfectly Fine. Ask for a corner or wall table so that you aren't smack dab in between couples. They get that request All The Time! You will feel fine. Sometimes people don't understand that often solos are solo because they want to be solo and don't want to meet other people while on vacation.

Think about bringing your daily schedule thing they give you. You can be planning for the rest of tonight, or tomorrow with your highlighter, or taking notes. Better yet, "you could be working for cruise critic and doing your job!"....oooo.....how mysterious...giggle giggle

I've worn a nice pair of jeans and a dressy top to Chops many times. No one has ever said anything to me about my outfit.

Capris and a blouse would be fine, in my opinion.

Me too. I have also worn nice jeans and dressy tops to all of the specialty restaurants.

I'm not upset by it, I'm just calling the poster out on what sounds like a little hypocrisy to me...

Problem with these message boards is you can't really tell tone. In re-reading that, I guess you could choose to read it as though my panties were in a knot. Reality is that it just kind of set off my "BS" meter...

I understand... and you're right about "tone", it's nearly impossible to determine. I guess giving the benefit of the doubt is usually a good policy. ;)

Archived