Cabin selection

Sunprince

I would appreciate some help in cabin selection for the Wind Star ship. I am thinking midship since I am slightly affected by motion sickness. Looking for a quiet location to avoid engine noise (not sure if that is an issue or not?)

Also, should I pay the extra for Deck 2 AX instead of BX on Deck 1? Appreciate any help. This is my first time on Wind Star!

Thanks

You're in for a GREAT time....and might just get hooked as so many of us have..on the Spirit and Star all cabins are the same size. Some folks like being on deck two since it's higher above the water line and one less stair to climb..noise really not an issue though keeping away from the stairwell might suit you and not extremely fore or aft. Midship is ideal. We always go on the port side as the gangway is on the starboard...but truly you can save your few hundred dollars. And have fun!:cool:

• 7 months later...

I also prefer midship (get queasy sometimes) and a quiet cabin. On larger ships, I prefer a deck with cabins above (no chairs scraping at 4 am ), but does that apply on this ship? Are the lower deck ones the less expensive ones (by $400) due to the extra stairs (no problem for us) and water sloshing on the portholes?

You can hear a high pitch noise from the engines in the aft cabins. We enjoy the water sloshing over the port holes in category B. We agree with the starboard side to avoid having the gangway out your port hole. If you want to save some money get the forward cabins. Also get the laundry package, you can bring all your clothes in a carry on and you go home with all clean clothes. Enjoy

Gangways are on both port and starboard sides of the yacht. Ports will determine which side is utilized. We have used both sides in one day when we were tendering and the weather conditions changed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were in cabin # 232 on Wind Star. It was a great location with no noise. It was located midship under the restaurant and it had no obstruction from the gangway. Cabins about 5 or 6 doors to the aft midship would be nearest where the gangway comes down. I am glad we chose to spend a bit more and go for deck 2. Deck 1 was a little too close to the water for me and there was also a humming noise on deck 1 aft (could not verify how noisy it was inside the aft deck 1 cabins but I would avoid if possible). I do get seasick but was fine on deck 2, I wore my seabands when sailing to/from Barbados where is was a bit rougher. But overall the seas were relatively calm for our sailing. Overall, we had a great cruise and I would highly recommend it.

• 1 month later...

Before I sailed on Windsurf, I also looked for info about cabins on deck one. Since all the cabins are the same, was there any advantages or disadvatages staying on either deck one or two. I posted on this site. Got responses that told me to book deck one. No advantages to deck 2. Deck one is usually cheaper. I booked deck one midship. It was great.....very quiet. Only noise was sea door closing when we entered or left a port. Sea doors must be closed for a short time. Each time was about 15 minutes. During that time, if we wanted to get to or from our cabin, we had to use the steps. Closed sea doors blocked our access to the elevator. Walked up/down one flight of steps. On deck 2, there are no sea doors. However, deck 2 has some problems. Avoid aft cabins near the spa area and sports platform. Lots of traffic in that area. The other place to avoid is deck 2 cabins where the tenders dock. Again, lots of traffic.

Agree with all of the above. We always book the lower deck midship. You may feel the engines working away, but not a noise, just sort of a gentle vibration which can actually be soothing.

The only problem with noise we've ever had is when we've had noisy neighbors. The noise wasn't from within the cabin, but each pair of cabins share a little sort of vestibule with two doors (I think it can be closed off the merge two cabins) and we've had cases where the people in the next cabin were talking loudly as they entered or exited their cabin, but that's it.

The only real reason I can see to book the higher deck is if you're worried about the additional set of steps. Depending on the water level and height of the dock, at some ports your portholes may look into the side of the dock but only if the ship docks with that side toward the dock, there really isn't any way to predict.