Chankanaab vs. Money Bar

nlktx49

In Feb 2014 my husband and I and my two sisters are going on a cruise, one port is Cozumel. One sister has never been on a cruise before and I want to make sure she has a good time. In Cozumel, she wants to snorkel. The rest of us don't snorkel, so will probably just watch her. We're all in our 60's, not very active.

She researched and first chose Chankanaab. Then I was looking at things to do in Coz and came across the Money Bar. Looks good, supposed to have good snorkeling right in front, no entrance or cover fee. It's about the same length of taxi ride either place.

Which would be better, in your opinion? I do want to keep an eye on my sister while she's snorkeling.

While I have never went to the Money Bar, I have done a lot of research on it. Basically at the Money Bar, you are going to a place that serves food, not really a beach (some sand) and snorkeling. It's basically the type of place to go if you are just going for snorkeling (and food) and to hang out.

Here's a few pictures I have aquired from the place. Some are not mine and they are pictures from the internet and others are pictures that I took using google earth to get a better feel for the place and location.

beach3.jpg

beach.jpg

beach2.jpg

18_m6tour006-M.jpg

299bhh-M.jpg

money%20bar%20pic-M.jpg

Now I can tell you that I have been to Chankanaab and loved it. We loved it so much that we went twice in a row within 6 months apart. It still remains our favorite place in Cozumel so far (and I have went to other places trying to find something comparable that I like).

There's so much to do there. It's an actual National Park and it's HUGE. They have really nice palapas to sit under while they serve you drinks and food along the beach. This area is directly in front of the snorkeling area.

IMG_5745-M.jpg

Very from your chair:

IMG_1414-M.jpg

There's a beautiful lagoon directly behind the beach and snorkeling area. It's huge and there are iguanas walking around the area there:

IMG_7966-M.jpg

IMG_7965-M.jpg

IMG_5821-M.jpg

IMG_5839-M.jpg

The entrance is beautiful with waterfalls and ponds

IMG_1447-M.jpg

IMG_1445-M.jpg

There's a shallow cove area

IMG_5654-M.jpg

IMG_1413-M.jpg

The following is not my pictures, but one that I found on the web that shows the dolphin/manatee area, some of the main buildings, the cove swimming area, a hut that sells things and a restaurant

cozumel%20wedding%20and%20honeymoon%20attractions%20-%20chankanaab-M.jpg

More iguanas

IMG_7977-M.jpg

The snorkeling, well...simply put, it's amazing. You walk right down the steps (there are numerous steps to pick from up and down the beach) and once in the water, instant sea life, fish and coral. It's beautiful and you can swim up and down the beach area and see tons of stuff without having to go out far.

IMG_5670-M.jpg

IMG_5697-M.jpg

IMG_5699-M.jpg

IMG_5729-M.jpg

IMG_5793-M.jpg

IMG_5805-M.jpg

If you swim out toward the middle, there is a platform that you can stand on. Down below, you will find various statues in the water. Some of the people who are scuba diving dive down to them.

IMG_7849-M.jpg

IMG_5768-M.jpg

IMG_5772-M.jpg

IMG_5829-M.jpg

IMG_5830-M.jpg

Also over by the dolphin/manatee swims, you can watch a sea lion show (free) and there's also a pool over there.

Swimming_pool.jpg

I've been to Chankanaub 3 yrs ago and loved it! We went for my daughter's birthday and We did the Dolphin swim, Manatee swim and the Sea Lion experience, plus enjoyed the Sea Lion show. We did not have time to snorkel but the ones on our ship that did were very pleased.

We're going back to Cozumel next month but DH would like to either go to Money Bar or Sunset since we are going just to snorkel and he wants something different. If I had my way I would go back to Chank.

Since there is only 1 to snorkel and there's no guarantee how much she would like it, my recommendation would be Chankanaub since there is so much else to do there. Plus, she may want to play with a dolphin, manatee or sea lion.:)

We're going back to Cozumel next month but DH would like to either go to Money Bar or Sunset since we are going just to snorkel and he wants something different. If I had my way I would go back to Chank.

Just wondering if you have checked out Sunset?

I did a little research for someone else on the board. Here's what I found:

I did a little research and here is what I found (I like to use google earth to find things :D).

Another thread on here mentioned that it is about a mile from International Pier (and Carnival docks at the Puerta Pier next to International).

This is an overview of that area and it looks like it's within walking distance with sidewalks to get there along the road:

toport_zps2c6e1494.jpg

This is a shot from the street looking at Sunset and you can see the ships in the distance to the left:

sunset_zpsa376e506.jpg

This is a look to the right:

sunsetw_zps11768ad4.jpg

Thanks to all for the info and photos, especially Mitsugirly! Wow! Chankanaab looks really nice, and lots to do besides snorkel. I think it may be the winner, we'll try the Money Bar another time. We've been on eight cruises, and six of those have gone to Cozumel as one of the ports!

Thanks to all for the info and photos, especially Mitsugirly! Wow! Chankanaab looks really nice, and lots to do besides snorkel. I think it may be the winner, we'll try the Money Bar another time. We've been on eight cruises, and six of those have gone to Cozumel as one of the ports!

You are very welcome. I really enjoy Chankanaab. It just seems to have a lot to do and something for everyone. Have a great day. :)

Thanks for the great answers! soooo..one thing i am not clear on..do you need to pay an admission fee or prebook or do you just catch a cab and go in and pay or what? looks amazing!:)

Are you asking about Chankanaab?

No need to pre-book. Just grab a cab and head there (unless you do a dolphin or manatee swim then you pre-book).

You pay the admission at the gate.

Make sure you print off the $2.00 coupon prior to going and you only need 1 coupon for the entire family.

http://cozumelinsider.com/images/specials/ChankanaabCoupon.pdf

I am the one that mitsugirly checked out SUNSET BEACH for, and the more I think about it, the more that is going to be my inital snorkeling and beach spot for Cozumel. I mean it is FREE, it is close to the port, it does have food and drinks, there is a dive shop there for buying lost snorkel keepers or what ever, also for the wife it is close to shopping as after a couple hours of snorkeling she is going to want to spend some of my money. . What more could you ask for. Taxi should not be more than a couple of $$ but I have us booked on the Carnival Beginning Snorkel Tour and the transportation is included. Walk off the beach and snorkel...sounds good to me. Here is a link... http://cozumelmexico.net/Sunset_Beach.html

Is it Chankanaab that supposedly won't admit you if you're on a cruise and you didn't buy as a ship's excursion? Seems I've heard that somewhere.

What you are referring to is the dolphin swim and coming in on Carnival. If you are wanting to do one of the swims and you are on a Carnival ship, then they want you to book with Carnival because they have a contract with Carnival. (They will book any of the dolphin swims for any other cruise ship, just not Carnival) If you are not doing one of the swims then no worries. If you are only coming for the park and snorkeling, they don't care what ship you are on and don't even ask you. :)

What you are referring to is the dolphin swim and coming in on Carnival. If you are wanting to do one of the swims and you are on a Carnival ship, then they want you to book with Carnival because they have a contract with Carnival. (They will book any of the dolphin swims for any other cruise ship, just not Carnival) If you are not doing one of the swims then no worries. If you are only coming for the park and snorkeling, they don't care what ship you are on and don't even ask you. :)

Actually if you want to do the dolphin or one of other encounters, you can get around that by just walking up and booking when you get there. You save a lot of money going direct rather than with Carnival. Of course, if you're in port during busy season and lots of ships, there may not be availability.

Thank you Mitsugirly for the great Chankanaab reviews.What camera did you use to take the underwater snorkel pictures? We are on the Oasis at the end of this month and have booked the Royal Dolphin Swim thru RCL for our two grandsons and us. Can't wait--hope we have good weather.

We plan to stay after the excursion and snorkel and tour the park on our own. Thanks again.

Joanmarie

Actually if you want to do the dolphin or one of other encounters, you can get around that by just walking up and booking when you get there. You save a lot of money going direct rather than with Carnival. Of course, if you're in port during busy season and lots of ships, there may not be availability.

Correct. Or you can pre-book but look up what other ships will be in port that day and say you are coming in on one of them...or say that you are staying on the island and list a resort. That's usually what CCL cruisers do that don't want to book with CCL.

Thank you Mitsugirly for the great Chankanaab reviews.What camera did you use to take the underwater snorkel pictures? We are on the Oasis at the end of this month and have booked the Royal Dolphin Swim thru RCL for our two grandsons and us. Can't wait--hope we have good weather.

We plan to stay after the excursion and snorkel and tour the park on our own. Thanks again.

Joanmarie

You are very welcome.

I have 2 of the Canon D10's that I use on vacation. I loved the first one I bought so much that I purchased a second one so that when we snorkeled, the hubby and I didn't fight over who gets to use it (you know, because even though we snorkel together we each see different things...so he says :rolleyes: LOL)

However, I ended up leaving my extra batteries and chargers plugged in the wall 2 cruises ago and I ended up buying a new camera just to be able to take pictures on that cruise. I ended up with an Olympus Tough camera and I have to say, it's now my favorite camera. :D I would highly recommend it!

What's the parking situation at Chankanaab?

I think we're renting a car that day. Is it free parking? Are there even spots to park?

Frankly I'd rather just take a cab there and spend all day at Chankanaab but a friend of mine wants to see the ruins at San Gervasio in the morning.

My plan is to get off the boat as soon as it gets to port, get the car rental, drive over to San Gervasio, scurry through the ruins as quickly as possible, and then get back to Chankanaab. Hopefully before noon, which would give us 4-5 hours there still.

Archived