Infirmary Treatment Prices

alreadypacked

Does anyone have a price list for infirmary visits/treament?

Or if you have ever had to go to the infirmary, can you give me an idea of what you were charged?

I know the doctors are independent contractors. Do you get separate charges from the doctor and/or the nurse?

Any info you have on infirmary prices and your personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried to search this topic but I'm not really finding comprehensive info. I even searched Carnival's website--nothing.

Thanks!:)

I was charged $90 for having to visit the doctor. I believe if you only wanted to see the nurse it was $45. You see the nurse first and she decides if you need the doctor. They also prescribed an over the counter medicine and my total was $99. They won't bill your insurance, but you can submit the bill when you get home.

Does anyone have a price list for infirmary visits/treament?

Or if you have ever had to go to the infirmary, can you give me an idea of what you were charged?

I know the doctors are independent contractors. Do you get separate charges from the doctor and/or the nurse?

Any info you have on infirmary prices and your personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried to search this topic but I'm not really finding comprehensive info. I even searched Carnival's website--nothing.

Thanks!:)

I don't think any Doctor's office gives out a price list? The prices are compatible with your Dr's office and the services they perform to treat you. Set a broken bone, or give you a bandaid for a minor cut? As the previous poster said, $90.00 for a simple visit sounds right.

I don't think any Doctor's office gives out a price list? The prices are compatible with your Dr's office and the services they perform to treat you. Set a broken bone, or give you a bandaid for a minor cut? As the previous poster said, $90.00 for a simple visit sounds right.

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I realize that doctor's offices do not usually have price lists. But since ship infirmaries are similar to land-based urgent care centers (which have price lists), I thought there might be a chance that there might be an infirmary services "menu" with pricing for some procedures or even just the base cost of a visit with the doctor.

Last Sept on the Glory I needed minor surgery - cut and sew back up. It was a repeat of a procedure I had done 3 times in the two weeks prior to the cruise. My doctor here charged $6250 the first visit and $450 for the two later procedures. The Doctor on the Glory did the SAME exact procedure, only better because I didn't need to have it done ever again. He charged only $134. Including exam, procedure with lidocaine injection, sutures, and 8 day antibiotic.

Thats an EXCELLENT price. Makes me want to schedule anything for when I am on a ship ;-) And he did a great job and saw me a few times to check on how I was doing.

My son has been hurt twice onboard Carnival ships.. One on our very first cruise, (2002) big busted lip should have had stiches probably, still has a scar. We were not charged a penny.. The infirmary staff checked up on him several times through out the cruise.

The second time (2011) was running (his fault) with Club 02 friends. Took a corner and slid into a poll. Leg cut open required 3 stiches.. Again not charged a penny. They filled out accident reports and took witness statements. Again checked on him and had him come and get bandage changed during the cruise.

I guess we have been lucky. And yes, he is accident prone! LOL:rolleyes:

I saw the dr when i was on the Ecstasy and broke my foot in cozumel on my birthday. I don't remember being charged anything but they didnt set my foot or anything. I vaguely remember my insurance (which was great at the time) handling the charges. There are no charges for the infirmary on my sail & sign statements from that cruise.

I too had to go as I dislocated my shoulder in San Juan the day before the cruise. To see the doctor was $ 90. They gave me a sling and some muscle relaxers. The total was about $125. I am still waiting to see if my insurance will reimburse me. They also had a charge if you needed to see the Dr. during times that the medical center was not open. I can't remember how much it was but nothing too outrageous.

Charges vary based on level of exam, just like a land ER. Approximately $90 is what we were charged for a minor exam by physician ( sprained ankle). Antibiotics and other medications are extra. Higher acuity interventions ( labs, IVs, EKG, X-rays, etc) are extra. The physician has very limited hours, like 3pm - 6 pm, but is on call for emergencies obviously.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Cruise Critic App

Our 2.5 year old GS woke one morning with a fever, congestion and his eyes stuck together. DS took him to the medical clinic and was seen right away. He was examined by the physician and given medication. The cost was $90 and included the medication.

On my cruise a couple of weeks ago on the Breeze, 2 members of my family had to go to the infirmary.

My nephew was goofing off with some other teens he met on the ship and he fell down the stairs at around midnight. He broke his hand. They did x-rays, set the break in a cast, and gave him pain meds.

My brother stepped on a sea urchin in the Dominican Republic.

They were not charged for either visit.

This is great info, everyone!! Thanks.:)

I have never had to go to the infirmary and always buy insurance. However a traveling companion of mine never gets insurance and I wanted to compile some info to show her. You just never know when you might get sick or hurt.

I notice from the responses that those that had accidents on the ship (slips and falls, run-ins with automatic doors etc.) weren't charged for care. I wonder if this has to do with some liability issue or something.

We have not visited the dr on a Carnival ship but my husband became very ill on a RCL ship and the bill for the infirmary was $4500. This included a day long stay, blood work, IV's, two units of blood and then he was airlifted off the ship to the hospital. Thank goodness we had travel insurance and our medical insurance paid what the travel insurance did not. I would never travel without insurance. I am guessing this emergency may have cost us $50,000 or more with the ship charges, the 7 day hospital stay in DR, airlift from Labadee to DR, my flight from JFK to DR, hotel stay in DR, meals, taxi from Cape Liberty to JFK, both our flights home. I will pay the $200 or less for the insurance opposed to trying to find $50k to pay these costs. Also a reminder for all passengers on Medicare. Medicare does not cover you outside of the United States.

Archived