Infirmary Treatment Prices

alreadypacked

so the travel insurance i purchased from carnival, at the time i booked my cruise, will cover medical issues that may come up? from the $90 penicillin shot to the $90,000 airlife to hospital heart attack?

Last month I booked a cruise, using a PVP rather than a travel agent as I usually do. The PVP asked if I wanted the Carnival insurance and I said yes, without asking about the limits on coverage. Later I checked on Carnival's website for the policy, and was shocked at how little it would pay for a medical emergency or airlift off the ship! From advice on Cruise Critic, I went to squaremouth.com where they have many insurance companies, all laid out in an easy to read format. For $2 less than what the Carnival insurance was, I got much better coverage, that I feel confident will cover any charges. See earlier in this thread what one couple had to pay for a medical emergency! Cancel the Carnival policy, get your money back, and get other coverage.

On our Celebrity cruise in 2006 DH got sick with-what doctor said was a stomach virus. He spend 4hr. in the infirmary to get fluids and meds. When I came back to our cabin our steward already had bleached down the room.

That made me suspect Noro. More people came down with the same symptoms but the infirmary never confirmed it was Noro. to make a long story short, our sail and sign account was charged $740.

We did not have travel insurance.

On top of this, I got sick with the same symptoms on debarkation day.

Not much fun on a 7 hr. drive home.

When we got home I wrote a letter to Celebrity asking why we got charged when it was clearly Noro. After a back and forth they finally agreed to reimburse the bill.

We always by travel insurance from there on. But never thru the cruise line.

My 2 year old granddaughter got a NASTY bump on her forehead by getting hit with the cabin door as it closed. MY DD is NOT one to panic - this was her 3rd kid - but they took her to the infirmary while I stayed with the other 2 - charged nothing, said she was fine and if noticed anything, bring her right back. All of our pictures on this cruise has poor little Belle with a big purple knot on her forehead - but bright blue eyes!

Not sure - may be because of having insurance or not?

Had to visit the infirmary on the Dream for an allergic reaction. I actually just needed prednisone because I had controlled the reaction by that point with benadryl...but needed the steroids cause the reaction was pretty bad. I called the infirmary to see if I could just get the prednisone ( i have been an ER nurse for 15 years so I knew that's what I needed) but the nurse said they couldnt dispense any meds without the Dr's script. Of course it was off hours and if I wanted to see the Dr they would have to call her in and charge me for for an emergency visit. Took a BIG gamble to just continue with benadryl until office hours in the morning (figured I could call her in later if really needed). Saw her the next day and told her I just really needed prednisone and the nurse made me see her to get it (I explained to her that I used to manage an ER of 80,000 visits a year). She was the sweetest Dr.....she just took 1 look at me (basically 1large blotchy hivey mess) and said ...."umm your right". Dispensed me prednisone and have the nurse waive the fees as a professional courtesy. Also took me on the grand tour of the medical facilities. Great experience

When I broke my foot in St Martin, the total for the visit to the infirmary was $160. This included visit, x-ray, cast, and a shot for pain. Very reasonable in my opinion. Much less than a ER visit at home.

Even if you have insurance through the cruise line though, you pay for the expense up front, and file your insurance yourself. You have up to 12 months to file the claim.

so the travel insurance i purchased from carnival, at the time i booked my cruise, will cover medical issues that may come up? from the $90 penicillin shot to the $90,000 airlife to hospital heart attack?

Not necessarily.

You have to read the limitations of your policy.

No matter which direction you go,,, travel insurance is reimbursement only. IOW, you pay up front,,,, then file for reimbursement.

We have not visited the dr on a Carnival ship but my husband became very ill on a RCL ship and the bill for the infirmary was $4500. This included a day long stay, blood work, IV's, two units of blood and then he was airlifted off the ship to the hospital. Thank goodness we had travel insurance and our medical insurance paid what the travel insurance did not. I would never travel without insurance. I am guessing this emergency may have cost us $50,000 or more with the ship charges, the 7 day hospital stay in DR, airlift from Labadee to DR, my flight from JFK to DR, hotel stay in DR, meals, taxi from Cape Liberty to JFK, both our flights home. I will pay the $200 or less for the insurance opposed to trying to find $50k to pay these costs. Also a reminder for all passengers on Medicare. Medicare does not cover you outside of the United States.

Just curious, he got the blood on the ship? I work in a hospital and there is a process to get the blood from the blood bank. Didn't realize the ship keeps blood on hand.

Yes he got two units of blood on the ship. They do not keep blood on hand, so the medical center asked for certified red cross blood donors with his blood type. So many people responded it brought tears to my eyes. They tested their blood since they did not have their cards with them. The entire crew on the Explorer of the Sea were unbelievable. After they airlifted him, I was taken such good care of. They helped from contacting the travel insurance company, booking my flight from JFK to DR when the ship returned. They arranged for some one to meet me in the airport that spoke English and got me to the hospital. We credit the medical staff for saving his life. If you have travel insurance make sure you take your travel insurance paperwork with you.

You can also buy over the counter medicines in the infirmary without seeing a doctor or nurse. And the prices are much cheaper than getting them from the ship gift shop. I came down with a cold after boarding a cruise and visited the infirmary to get some cough syrup. It was about what I'd pay at a drug store, and they put it on my sail and sign account.

I paid $90 for a visit because of a UTI. Nurse said if she could prescribe meds she would...because women just KNOW when they've got a UTI. The best thing was they prescribed me one med for the infection and one to (almost) immediately take away the symptoms. THAT drug isn't available in Canada, although I'd heard about its magic. It was like winning the medication lottery for me. ;)

FYI - you can buy over the counter a product called AZO Standard. It's the stuff that colors your urine orange....and takes away the pain from UTI's. I always bring it along when traveling, because I'm sure grateful if I need it for pain!!

Does anyone have a price list for infirmary visits/treament?

Or if you have ever had to go to the infirmary, can you give me an idea of what you were charged?

I know the doctors are independent contractors. Do you get separate charges from the doctor and/or the nurse?

Any info you have on infirmary prices and your personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried to search this topic but I'm not really finding comprehensive info. I even searched Carnival's website--nothing.

Thanks!:)

Broke my collar bone in Nassau. Once back to the ship they took an xray, gave me a shot for pain and sent me to the hospital. I believe it was around $300 once they placed me in the ambulance. After that - ambulance and treatment at the hospital was around $1000 I think.

Oh, make sure you have access to a credit card or cash - they don't take insurance on the ship and they don't take it in Nassau.

Archived