Infirmary Treatment Prices

alreadypacked

Last Sept on the Glory I needed minor surgery - cut and sew back up. It was a repeat of a procedure I had done 3 times in the two weeks prior to the cruise. My doctor here charged $6250 the first visit and $450 for the two later procedures. The Doctor on the Glory did the SAME exact procedure, only better because I didn't need to have it done ever again. He charged only $134. Including exam, procedure with lidocaine injection, sutures, and 8 day antibiotic.

Thats an EXCELLENT price. Makes me want to schedule anything for when I am on a ship ;-) And he did a great job and saw me a few times to check on how I was doing.

It's so strange for me to see prices for doctor's visits. We don't pay anyhting for dr's visits in Canada so I had no idea it cost so much to have some stitches!

It's so strange for me to see prices for doctor's visits. We don't pay anyhting for dr's visits in Canada so I had no idea it cost so much to have some stitches!

Totally ! Freaking glad I'm Canadian !:D

I'm pretty sure that if you "hurt" yourself on a ship, they don't charge you for the visits, etc. But if you become ill or something happens to you on one of the islands, then that is different. Last year my husband became ill on our way back to the ship in Jamaica. He is a heart patient and he passed out in the taxi on the way back to the ship. The medical staff on the Carnival Dream were great. After EKG, fluids, blood work, etc. we ended up paying $450 total. He ended up having a diagnosis of heat stroke and after the fluids and rest he was fine. We turned that bill into our insurance company and they reimbursed us the full amount.

I got sprayed directly into the eyes with sun tan spray and was blinded. Went to the infirmary and was treated with respect and dignity. They followed up almost daily to make sure I was ok. Seems to me the cost was $90 and was covered by cruise insurance. Given a choice between seeing a doctor on land and a doctor at sea, I'd take the cruise doctor any day.

I had to take my then 11 month old to see the ship's doctor on the Holiday in 2009. He had an ear infection and the doctor prescribed antibiotics (he is allergic to penicillin so it was difficult to find something onboard for him). The bill was $90 for the doctor and around $60 for the antibiotics. I wasn't a huge fan of the doc's bedside manner (but then again I am so used to pediatricians), but it worked and he was finally able to sleep.

Several years (2005?) ago we had to take our daughter to the infirmary for strep throat. The charge then, which included physician exam and antibiotics was $65, added to our sign & sail.

The infirmary was packed with 20-somethings that had had too much fun that day in Cozumel, and were going to spend the night, to receive antiemetics and to be rehydrated with IV fluids. I often wondered how much that must have cost!

I know here in the states, an overnight ER stay just to rehydrate someone, including labs, meds, IVs, etc., will run $2000 at least.

My husband was very ill on a cruise in 2011. We went to the infirmary in the morning and saw the nurse. She immediately called the doctor to come. They knew right away that he was extremely sick (bilateral massive pulmonary embolism). They treated us both very kindly and explained that they did not have the proper equipment on board to make a full diagnosis and treatment and that he very well could die. Since it was an at sea day, the captain was consulted and decided to divert the ship to Martinique. We were in the infirmary for 6 hours, had blood tests, x-rays, oxygen, blood thinning injections, etc. The ship was diverted off course and we evacuated when we got close enough to the island. They also closed to infirmary to anything other than emergencies. Our charge was around $800. Bill for 9 day stay in Martinique was $18,000, air ambulance back to US was $23,500 (discounted from $35,000 as they were coming to island with someone anyway), and stay in Miami hospital for 4 days was $17,000. Took us a month to get home. Can't even add up all the extra expenses. No trip insurance. He lived, and that was the important thing. We now buy trip insurance for every trip we take. I still credit the doctor on the ship for saving his life. Glad they are there. We will take a ship's doctor anytime. BTW, Carnival was following up with us multiple times a day until we were back in the US, and daily thereafter til we were home, and then periodically for around 4 or 5 months. They were great.

Those of you who submitted to insurance and it was paid - do you mean travel insurance or your regular health insurance at home?

Charges would for sure be covered by travel insurance, but not necessarily by health insurance. And even if my United Healthcare would cover some of the charges I have a $4500 out of network deductable and a $1250 in network deductable.

Travel insurance for my sister and I who are in our later 50's is rarely more than $125 total, so even though I've never had to use it I still purchase it for every cruise.

Since I cruise several times a year and also go on other land based vacations during the year I'm thinking of looking into one of those annual policies.

I did visit the infirmary once when I scratched my throat on something from the buffet. I was examined by the nurse and then doctor and given a topical numbing spray, but I wasn't charged.

I don't think any Doctor's office gives out a price list? The prices are compatible with your Dr's office and the services they perform to treat you. Set a broken bone, or give you a bandaid for a minor cut? As the previous poster said, $90.00 for a simple visit sounds right.

We needed a TB test for our college kids and went to the clinic at Wal-Mart because it was close and we could drop in anytime. They have a list of posted fees right up front :). The list goes by ailment and gives price.

On the Victory in 2010 my then 4 1/2 year old developed an ear infection. It was around $90 total for the visit and the amoxicillin. Submitted it to the travel insurance policy we had purchased when I got home, and it was promptly paid.

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My husband was very ill on a cruise in 2011. We went to the infirmary in the morning and saw the nurse. She immediately called the doctor to come. They knew right away that he was extremely sick (bilateral massive pulmonary embolism). They treated us both very kindly and explained that they did not have the proper equipment on board to make a full diagnosis and treatment and that he very well could die. Since it was an at sea day, the captain was consulted and decided to divert the ship to Martinique. We were in the infirmary for 6 hours, had blood tests, x-rays, oxygen, blood thinning injections, etc. The ship was diverted off course and we evacuated when we got close enough to the island. They also closed to infirmary to anything other than emergencies. Our charge was around $800. Bill for 9 day stay in Martinique was $18,000, air ambulance back to US was $23,500 (discounted from $35,000 as they were coming to island with someone anyway), and stay in Miami hospital for 4 days was $17,000. Took us a month to get home. Can't even add up all the extra expenses. No trip insurance. He lived, and that was the important thing. We now buy trip insurance for every trip we take. I still credit the doctor on the ship for saving his life. Glad they are there. We will take a ship's doctor anytime. BTW, Carnival was following up with us multiple times a day until we were back in the US, and daily thereafter til we were home, and then periodically for around 4 or 5 months. They were great.

Wow. What an experience! So happy that everything worked out and that your husband did well.

I work at a large medical center in Tampa, and we get patients from cruise ships frequently -- sometimes they come by ambulance from the port as soon as a ship docks, but often they are airlifted here. I have been impressed by the level of care provided to these patients while onboard -- very professional and state of the art. But the facilities and diagnostic equipment are somewhat limited on board, which is why patients are evacuated.

The physcians and nurses are usually British, so their medical lingo is sometimes a little different than ours!:)

Does anyone have a price list for infirmary visits/treament?

Or if you have ever had to go to the infirmary, can you give me an idea of what you were charged?

I know the doctors are independent contractors. Do you get separate charges from the doctor and/or the nurse?

Any info you have on infirmary prices and your personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried to search this topic but I'm not really finding comprehensive info. I even searched Carnival's website--nothing.

Thanks!:)

In 2010 I had to go as I got a bladder infection the 3rd day on the cruise. They had to run lab tests, xrays and try to get my fever under control. They gave me 2 prescriptions and the doctor visit, xray, lab tests and medicine was around $150.00. I got home claimed it against the carnival insurance protection and all was paid in full within a few weeks!! I had to pay for the full visit at the time though. It is up to you when you get home to put in a claim for any insurance...even if it is the insurance protection you can purchase from Carnival.

Those of you who submitted to insurance and it was paid - do you mean travel insurance or your regular health insurance at home?

Travel insurance...my medical insurance would not cover even a penny of it as we were not in the US at the time. I was shocked by that so, I was so glad I had purchased the travel insurance. Now that I know this...I will not go on a cruise without travel insurance.

Travel insurance...my medical insurance would not cover even a penny of it as we were not in the US at the time. I was shocked by that so, I was so glad I had purchased the travel insurance. Now that I know this...I will not go on a cruise without travel insurance.

I'm with you. It's actually cheap for what all it covers.

The amount of coverage purchased will dictate the amount of medical bills covered. Some the insurance only covers $10,000.00 medical emergency bills. So if your charges where more than that you would be responsible for the balance. It does not take long to max out your travel insurance so be sure you purchase a high enough limit. We had $10,000 medical limit when my husband got sick so we would have been responsible for the balance. Luckily we were able to turn in to our medical insurance and they sent us the amount we had to pay upfront. If you have travel insurance, they may send a letter to the hospital and guarantee charges up to the maximum amount of coverage.

I paid $90 for a visit because of a UTI. Nurse said if she could prescribe meds she would...because women just KNOW when they've got a UTI. The best thing was they prescribed me one med for the infection and one to (almost) immediately take away the symptoms. THAT drug isn't available in Canada, although I'd heard about its magic. It was like winning the medication lottery for me. ;)

My son and his roommate became badly sunburned on HMC. They used sunscreen but neglected to put any on their feet and ankles. They looked like a hot-mess....... blisters, swelling and pain. They both went down to Medical on the CCL Liberty, saw the nurse,and were only charged $10 total for a tube of topical cream.

I was quite surprised that they were only charged for the cream and not for a visit.

:)

We took our daughter to the ships infirmary twice. First time she got her hand stuck between the ships elevator door and wall, dislocated a finger. Second time she hit her head on something. I can't remember what.

No charge both times.

Yes she is kind of accident prone.

Archived